Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states. - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Less than a buck for E10, that's cheap.
    Unfortunately here in Queensland the E10 tends to be 2 cents/litre cheaper than ULP and last week-end, depending on when you look, it's been between 1.35/ltr to about 1.42 for ULP plus the usual premiums for 95 and 98.
    But given that you burn about 10% more E10 than straight petrol, it works out more expensive and all one is effectively is paying a cane farmer (or the processor) for the ethanol and using the same amount of fossil fuel.
    A disturbing trend is that a lot of the 95RON pumps are being converted to E10 and a couple of filling stations I've been to don't have 95RON fuel at all, so the offer is ULP, E10, or 98RON.
    I canít separate the supposed difference in economy from personal experience over 6000 kms, and being a substitute for PULP at 20-30c/L less Iím more than satisfied.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

For those who care , PetrolSpy is a great app for Australian prices

1000+ Posts

Icon9 95 RON is an artificially jacked up price used to be 5 cents over ULP!

Less than a buck for E10, that's cheap.
    Unfortunately here in Queensland the E10 tends to be 2 cents/litre cheaper than ULP and last week-end, depending on when you look, it's been between 1.35/ltr to about 1.42 for ULP plus the usual premiums for 95 and 98.
    But given that you burn about 10% more E10 than straight petrol, it works out more expensive and all one is effectively is paying a cane farmer (or the processor) for the ethanol and using the same amount of fossil fuel.
    A disturbing trend is that a lot of the 95RON pumps are being converted to E10 and a couple of filling stations I've been to don't have 95RON fuel at all, so the offer is ULP, E10, or 98RON.
    Thanks for that observation REN TIN TIN

I find these days 95 RON fuel price that used to be a five cent margin per litre over ULP, but as it became a more popular fuel of choice, due to many imported cars (including my Laguna) recommended to run on a minimum of 95, it suddenly took over as a higher priced fuel, with a creep to 10 cent "premium" margin and in extreme cases 15 to 20 cent margins, which is a real rip off if ever there was one.

I actually declined to fill with 95 at those rip off prices after finding that if I used 98 or 100 RON fuel I got much better mileage per tank and by watching the pump price closely I could find retailers with a lower percentage margin especially in the Country towns.

In some, the service stations would use the industry excuse of "Competition" (read that as artificial industry pushed price hike cycle) as a reason to hike prices on ULP and 95, by 15 to 25 cents highs but didn't immediately jump the 98, perhaps because it either had an already padded in comfortable margin at the lowest price "cycle" or their users might suddenly question the added high cost.

Many 1980's cars seemed to run better when filled with a tank of 98, especially if they had re-breather systems that recycled the aromatic vapour additives promoted in the 98 and 100 premium advertising. I noticed that "performance improvement" in using those fuels in the Fuego and so did others on this forum. It seemed worth the 10 cents over base grade fuels, but add 25 or 30 cents and ones consumer base might well question that jumped up price hike!.

Most of us adopted a full tank to full tank filling routine, as we enjoyed our cars, could afford the cost and it was so much easier to check the impact of hiked price rises on the personal budget. IMHO!

If you operated more than one vehicle and they had different fuel needs, you could fill at the lowest price and alternate between vehicles to avoid filling at rip off pricing. We did, so we could, but I was always cognisant that others less fortunate could not, hence my trenchant opposition to oil companies using computerized industry data as a marketing tool to maintain a higher than normal "average" price across their fuel range while promoting the overall as some sort of motorists driven competition, when clearly it was not!.

I have not regularly used E10 but did fill once at one of those NSW Manildra? Service stations that sold ethanol from the pump, mileage per tank was much less than I achieved on other fuels . Those ethanol stations seem to have gone by the wayside since.

I did toy with the idea of converting one vehicle to run on LPG, but glad now that I didn't, as that seems to be a grossly over priced product now, but others that regularly fill with LPG may see that in a different user perspective.

Diesel underpins most of the delivery and commerce in Australia and there appears to be a big push to pad out Diesel pricing to a more comfortable (for the oil industry) retail pricing level (and with the ACCC tacit approval it seems) that has been achieved in the metropolitan areas though I see signs that Shell is sometimes offering lower than their preferred price where their competition undersells them.

Huge rises in prices paid for Diesel in the trucking industry, will of course be passed on in the form of higher prices on consumer goods (where firms can) and one needs to closely monitor the margin pricing between Truck Diesel and so called premium or special Diesel pricing as margin creep and marketing already disclose higher margins in the industry.

Interesting as a consumer to closely watch the fuel marketing and pricing.

Regards

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Seeing I currently get 18-19km/L (51-53 mpg) on E10/94/95 I would assume 21 km/L would be achievable.
    The first 5000kms on PULP95 (fill>fill always) gave me EXACTLY the same km/L.
    My significantly smaller and lighter 308 1.2 6A never exceeded 21km/L over 39,000kms using PULP95 always on a similar fill>fill basis.
    ODOs on both were extremely accurate too.
    21 on the C4P would be only a dream. But I never drive aggressively or drag anything when possibly PULP would show up as more economical.
    I rarely use anything other than United either and it says ďa maximum of 10% ethanol...........hmmm

I did try E10 exclusively in my 6 CYL Magna a few years ago.
    I recorded the odometer readings and the amount of fuel for each fill, always full - full.
    This was for about 6 months and my experience was that the MPG was about 10% or more worse with the E10 on about 75% city driving and 25% highway.
    So it was actually costing me more to use E10 than standard ULP (The Magna was tuned to run on 91RON).
    When I switched back to ULP the MPG returned to normal (bad as it was).
    Might be my imagination but I thought the car ran hotter on E10 too. The temperature gauge seemed to sit a frag higher, nothing to worry about but noticible and I could be wrong.

E10 vs 95RON might be a different story, there should be savings there even with the reduced mileage.

But if you do the math, if your mileage is reduced by 10% you will still be burning the same amount of fossil fuel to travel a certain distance but burning some ethanol as well.

The Manildra group were(are), among other things, a sugar refiner hence the ethanol tie-up.

(Today ULP is about 1.43/ltr at the filling stations I passed on the way to work).
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

IWS

Slightly outside the box - but may be of interest: fuel prices in New Zealand.

Was there for a 5 days last week - observed the fuel prices (and was glad to have an economical rental vehicle). Mid week prices were $1.99 for 91 RON, $1.46 for Diesel. By Sunday that had gone to anywhere between $2.02 and $2.12 for 91 RON, diesel price stable.

Glad I'm not driving there regularly with those prices!

Ian.

Arrived in Auckland today and thankfully have been picked up by father-in-law so not needing to buy fue,l 91 RON $1.22 on a Thursday ouch!! and the Kiwi peso is pretty matched with Oz currency. Just another reason I'm not in a hurry to move back, of course no job prospects as well but that's another story!!

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Slightly outside the box - but may be of interest: fuel prices in New Zealand.

Was there for a 5 days last week - observed the fuel prices (and was glad to have an economical rental vehicle). Mid week prices were $1.99 for 91 RON, $1.46 for Diesel. By Sunday that had gone to anywhere between $2.02 and $2.12 for 91 RON, diesel price stable.

Glad I'm not driving there regularly with those prices!

Ian.

Fellow Frogger!

Just back from Adelaide where I jammed in 46L of E10/[email protected] ($53.77) after 803kms.
    Return trip now only just under half full after ~ 730kms and Iíll be filling up in Broady again @119.9.
    Very hot but normal temps and sweet as.
    Whatís not to like?.

Fellow Frogger!

It appears the commissioning of the Gladstone export terminal has effectively put the skids under LPG as an economic substitution for petrol, with export pricing forcing up the local product.
    The loss of dedicated Ford/Holden gas cars was the other factor in itís demise of course.
    It started in Melbourne and will probably cease there last.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Is fuel expensive?

Diesel pricing tends to remain fairly stable around Newcastle. So the going rate at one of the Woolworths Caltex outlets recently has been $130.7. This comes down to $122.7 with the 8c discount. A bonus is that it is premium diesel (Vortex)

At the same time, a nearby Shell is selling Premium Unleaded for $1.734.

Now, if you are paying $1.227 per litre for premium diesel, you would probably think fuel is reasonably priced. On the other hand, if you are paying $1.734 (41% more) for your fuel, then you would no doubt say it is expensive. As a bonus, the vehicle using the lower priced product is often more fuel efficient

JBN

Default Spare A Thought for Our US Friends

JoBo and Kim Luck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    You mean I've been smelling of gas and have been accosted by transients for the last 30 years.
    A service only "Qualified People" should perform.
    I don't recall seeing a course on pumping petrol on the University or Tech College course listings.
    But maybe things are different in the US.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Ah the priviledge .....of pumping your own gas, Males farting or what?

You mean I've been smelling of gas and have been accosted by transients for the last 30 years.
    A service only "Qualified People" should perform.
    I don't recall seeing a course on pumping petrol on the University or Tech College course listings.
    But maybe things are different in the US.

Someone bring me my slippers, the world is going to hell on a handbasket.....

Ken

1000+ Posts

Icon13 Families under the pump...EEK

Melbourne Herald Sun Report 17/01/2018 article header! seems they think Victorian motorists are being ripped off too...

The gap between petrol prices at the pump and the prices at import and production terminals has hit a record high, new research shows.
    A report by CommSec chief economist Craig James reveals the average margin between petrol pump prices and the terminal gate price has hit 15.96 a litre, A year ago, the gap was 11.23c.
    It comes after the price of petrol rose 10 per cent in the three months to December - the biggest increase for any quarter in 2 and a half years.
    The national average surged a further 0.9c to 137.6c a litre in the past week, the Australian Institute of Petroleum said "The average family is spending around $200 a month to fill the car with petrol, up $20 a month compared with January last year" Mr James said.
    Oh heck is that the apologists for the oil industry using Oil Industry made up pricing like the Terminal gate price as a base for legitimate comparisons, that TGP price can be anything the oil industry thinks it can charge and get away with it!! Perhaps this is in advance of the long heralded ACCC cartel pricing crackdown that is always just around the corner.

I spent some time driving around Tasmania in December and as usual bought my fuel in Victoria on the idea that Tasmanians pay through the nose for fuel. At Shell Sth Melb. I put in 41.32 litres of Diesel and paid One dollar 39.9 cents per litre but was pleasantly surprised that my later Caltex fill at Mowbray Launceston) was only One dollar 42.9c per litre and with a local shopper docket that dropped by 4c a litre and then the Caltex station gave an extra 1 cent a litre discount, so not a lot of difference, in pricing but the discounts helped. I did notice some Shell Stations were tryers posting higher posted Diesel pricing, but then I didn't bother

A lot of the difference in pricing is the margins quoted between grades of fuel, Ulp often on pricing post but not used so much these days, 95 is usually a good test point as the most popular grade so it can have a margin of 10 to 15 cents above ulp whereas it used to be 5 cents years back

On my return from Tassie I was horrified at Melbourne pricing obviously all jacked up to a sky high profit, I just didn't buy the stuff at those prices. I hoped to repeat my good Fortune of actually finding a Shell station in the Country (Shepparton) selling Diesel at One dollar 28.9 cents a litre

As it was I did find Diesel at Bendigo at One Dollar 23.9 cents a litre an d as my wife remarked at that price I had saved $6 on that one fill compared with the Melbourne shoulder to shoulder higher pricing where pricing collusion is the New Normal on every corner though is one hunts around you can find a BP outlet that will be substantially under others.

Worth comparing, when I got my Diesel and saved that $6 on the tank the other fuel prices I noted were ULP One dollar 28.9 cents a litre, E.10 One dollar 26.9 cents a litre, 95 One dollar 36.9 cents per litre, and LP Gas at 69.9 (Melbourne LPG is sky high for the poor motorists who need it!)

As a small bench mark I will try and post a couple of pricing board pic I took on that Country run through to my Shepparton shell fill in early December 2017.

Hope you are all watching your pricing trends and getting those nice discounts that are hard to find. Nagaman might recognise some of his favourite outlets.

Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.-dsc06160.jpgVictorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.-dsc06156.jpgVictorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.-dsc06157.jpg

Ken

And the member who was likely to engage with you has been "disappeared."
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

The moral of the story is do not argue about retail petrol price maintenance with Kenfuego.....
    It's another lovely day! Again!

1000+ Posts

Icon12 Sigh...

Hah, the fanboys are out tonight,

Most motorists would agree with the article, particularly those that still are working and trying to bring up a family. I do still talk to those people apparently unlike some others .

Most employed motorists have resigned themselves to ever upward price spirals from an industry that has a long history of manipulation. It is only by motorists keeping up the pressure against Industry driven price hikes and trying to motivate their fellow motorists to look and protest, that you get some attention from politicians and hopefully from the ACCC whose mirror these days should be feeding back information to encourage them to use the perhaps inadequate powers to get a better deal for motorists.

I keep watching the prices and maintaining the pressure. Maybe we have only rich froggers who love paying higher prices? But surely, there are those that are also doing it tough? or know people that are finding it hard for them and their families to survive? And I am not that old that I don't remember that at this time in the year, families have that extra expense burden of kitting their children out for their school year, It would be nice to see fuel prices lowered or levelled out so low income families can budget as excessive porice hikes for no real reason impacts those tight budgets also drives increases in the basic necessities, food, clothing, and makes it hard for some in the community.

For myself as a retired and self funded person among many self funded retirees, we watch the dollars but spend when we have to from savings as that also helps in keeping the economy going along with our taxes. We can probably afford such hikes, others can't.

Keeps the politicians and government employees on their game and looking after all the community and Motorists are very much involved by providing one of the biggest tax takes to support welfare and otehr community projects funded by governments. So we should demand accountability IMHO!

Now back to topic, it is nice to hear from motorists in other states as to how they see the rising cost of fuel and its impact on the motoring community and those on low or fixed incomes. By comparing we avoid the hike up in one area and token dip in another while the industry gets a higher than average profit overall.

I certainly have no argument with others who see that problem in the community we live in and motorists can help by exposing the differences.

Regards

ken
    cjl likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

New Jersey is now the last bastion of bowser service.

Fellow Frogger!

E10/95 for 118.9 @ Heathcote United 15 Feb.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Opportunity check today!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    E10/95 for 118.9 @ Heathcote United 15 Feb.

Recently opened service station, at Heathcote, "possibly" competing with the Caltex and BP, though local talk suggests the new operator had connections with Caltex and the Echuca United outlet. I will probably check the prices today as I return to Melbourne.

Melbourne prices are still sky high - across the board. (maybe they will be low when I get back to Melbourne, but I won't hold my breath on that remote chance ) (more motorists to rip off there!)

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

I havenít been to anything other than United for quite some time, eg: Shepparton E10/95 122.7

Fellow Frogger!

Default Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Recently opened service station, at Heathcote, "possibly" competing with the Caltex and BP, though local talk suggests the new operator had connections with Caltex and the Echuca United outlet. I will probably check the prices today as I return to Melbourne.

Melbourne prices are still sky high - across the board. (maybe they will be low when I get back to Melbourne, but I won't hold my breath on that remote chance ) (more motorists to rip off there!)

Ken
    If youíve got the PetrolSpy app itíll give Australia wide prices for all fuels......the highlighted one being the cheapest for that particular fuel type.

1000+ Posts

Icon5 My mini survey of spot pricing Country to Melbourne. 16/02/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    If you’ve got the PetrolSpy app it’ll give Australia wide prices for all fuels......the highlighted one being the cheapest for that particular fuel type.

I prefer my old tried and true method I have been using for years, rather than use "serve it up aggregators" who are often industry advocates (Wolves in sheep skin coverings)

I was alerted to many "tricks of the trade" years ago and when you personally check the pump prices you do get the local flavour of the industry that likes to claim it is motorist "competition" that brings in their preferred price cycle that inflates prices to give overall higher average prices over the wider market, and that has got much easier for those companies since computerisation, dip in one area, high in another, while the industry controls the bottom line price and the add on profit distribution stream that can be padded any which way the spin doctors want, to cry poor to politicians, with nice donations to party funds of course (from many levels of the industry so it is not too noticeable except to the bean counters.

If that Petrol Spy app Is personally useful for your purposes then by all means continue to use it.

I did do a spot check of Fuel prices across the board and often the devil is in the detail, and yes United Heathcote was 118.9 for E10 as you say, but in comparing that with the two Echuca United outlets - Ogilvie Avenue was 133.7 and Echuca United highway outlet was 133.5 so the 118.9 for Heathcote is an example of my analogy of the rim of a spinning top, one edge will be higher when the opposite rim is lower but the company with computer help can control the average profit they make across the board (Somewhere between the two) and using a wholesale floor price to ensure that there is an image of "competitive pricing" as they get their desired market price.

Your use of the Spy price just helps you collect on the lowest available price that you can get in the place you decide to visit, not everyone can do that of course, so some will pay more who have to/must buy fuel on other days.

Politically it is handy for local motoring groups to keep an eye on local pricing and advocate for pressure to reduce pricing in their area. It is also handy to identify outlets that consistently charge higher prices. It may be co-incidence but in checking the pump prices the Shell outlet in Ogilvie avenue had these prices posted Ulp was 141.9 (The highest above the others I checked) 98 RON was 164.9!, and Diesel was $139.9 which was pretty well the average Melbourne station to station price, though if you looked around or could wait you could do better as I have from time to time ($6 saving on an average fill is very handy when you can get it!) The Shell LPG price was 85.9, and that too was the highest I saw.

United Heathcote posted prices for 91 ULP 122.9, 95 133.9, 98 141.9, LPG 69.9 and E10 of course 118.9, that compared with Caltex who had ULP at 124.9, 95 at 140.9, 98 149.9 Diesel 139.6 and LPG 74.9 and BP had ULP at 127.9, 98 at 145.9, Diesel 136.9 and LPG 74.0, So yes the newly opened United outlet is having an effect locally in keeping prices down across the board. I will watch and see how long it lasts!

My need was 98 Ron for the Laguna so that was the one I was watching for. At Kalkallo Caltex Ulp was 124.9, 95 136.9, 98 was 143.9, Diesel was 135.9 and truck Diesel (is their really a difference other than perfume?) 133.9 and LPG 72.9

On my return to Melbourne I was pleasantly surprised to see my Local BP had ULP 124.9, 95 132.9. 98 140.9! (a vast improvement!) Diesel 137.9 (I know I can get it cheaper than that! and LPG 69.5 now that is the lowest I have seen it in a while!!

Anyway for what it is worth, my spot checking for Friday 16th of February 2018. Now for the Ides of March

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 17th February 2018 at 05:40 PM.

The price cycle in Sydney at the moment is on a high - checkout the prices on either the MotorMouth App or Motormouth.com.au and buy according to the cycle. Melbourne pricing is just coming up on the cycle now. BUY TODAY OR TOMORROW IF IN MELBOURNE.

Don't spend too much time fretting about this stuff - use the tech to save you time and money.

Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.-motormouth-17022018.jpg

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

E10/95 115.9 in Carlton on FuelSpy.
    Iím not sure that the surrounding outlets want it know though.

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread Information