Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi,
    It appears that the price of fuel has jumped very recently here in Newcastle. I went to get some 95 and was astonished to see prices of 160+ . However on Fuel watch the best price today is 148 near me. That is at independents.
    Shell service stations here seem intent on driving customers away with their prices. 160 on fuel watch. However the Coles ones can offer up to 20c a liter off with silly offers. So they rip off other customers 20c.
    Jaahn
    My Picasso is ok for E10/94/95RON and I got a fill yesterday at 119.9c/L.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Advertisement

I'm always reminded of the words spoken to me by an ex Rolls Royce employee. He told me that if I was concerned about how much it would cost to run one, perhaps I shouldn't aspire to own one.........
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I'm always reminded of the words spoken to me by an ex Rolls Royce employee. He told me that if I was concerned about how much it would cost to run one, perhaps I shouldn't aspire to own one.........
    So true - Rolls Royces always did use a LOT of fuel !

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    So true - Rolls Royces always did use a LOT of fuel !

Cheers

Justin
    And whether you had a 20c per litre discount voucher or not, in the scheme of things, it generally didn't matter.....

1000+ Posts

Default ACCC takes their eys off the ball, or pea under the thimble trickery!!

Hah, same here in Melbourne, ,most fuel outlets have hiked prices. We just returned from a round trip, "up Country" and had to buy fuel in Shepparton I decided that I would get my tank full at the Maroopna BP Just out of Shepparton on the way to Kyabram where we had some business to do, we paid 1.30.9 for "Ultimate" diesel, nice smelling stuff ULP on the board price was 132.9, 95 Ron was 144.9 and gas was 79.9 I feel sorry for those that have converted to using LPG they are being held to ransom.

Anyway as we drove out of Maroopna (the BP garage there had Diesel one whole cent cheaper so would have saved 40 cents. So any froggers passing through Maroopna on their way to Shep, use the cheaper one, though it is not as flash and new as the other BP on the main Road.

When we got to Kyabram the fuel generally was a few cents higher than Shepparton, but I noticed that one Servo had LPG gas at 65 cents now I wonder why this was so much lower than the Shepp. Price Maybe the owner and his staff and families use LPG.

Echuca was on Show Weekend so all fuel prices seem to be jacked up, or maybe they always are

I was a bit disappointed to see the ACCC has swallowed the myth of the discount cycle, saying that motorists could save money, by taking advantage of the oil industries created and self managed hike up fast and slow to lower artificial cycle, they really need a kick up the rump..

There have been some upswings and down turns in the dollar parity, but nothing that would justify as 20 to 25 cent per litre price hike.

Anyway, onward and upward I guess..

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Iíve come to the conclusion that APCO and United are likely to keep them more honest......Ballarat Bendigo and Broadmeadows are where I find reasonable pricing in Vic.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Tadpole

Much simpler up country. Tanker comes once a month to fill the bulk tanks. Price is irrelevant because he's the only supplier. Bill comes the next month, sometimes up, sometimes down. No problems wondering what fuel to use. Petrol is standard unleaded, diesel is diesel.

1000+ Posts

Default Price hiking might be official;ly sanctioone

Quote Originally Posted by pinnaroo View Post
    Much simpler up country. Tanker comes once a month to fill the bulk tanks. Price is irrelevant because he's the only supplier. Bill comes the next month, sometimes up, sometimes down. No problems wondering what fuel to use. Petrol is standard unleaded, diesel is diesel.
    Pretty well what it should be over the whole country in a real market economy. But sadly with the ACCC falling for the so called discount cycle garbage, that defeatist attitude has lead to some of the most vicious price hikes in the Metropolitan area. I feel for those like my son who would prefer to use 98 RON fuel in his old Porsche to see that hit 1. 168 to 1.169 a litre and even Diesel in Melbourne was a steady agreed between retailers price of $1.399 the price that Shell have been pushing for the last 12 months or so. I have seen higher but refuse to pay that and even yesterday I hung off purchasing even though the Megane tank was getting low.

Anyway I surprisingly found a large and busy BP fuel station that had Diesel at $1.309 and that immediately saved me about $4.60 on the tankful I purchased. I find it remarkable that others almost in collusion were happy to rip off customers with the higher price and many other vehicles have larger tanks to fill than the Megane. Full tank to full tank I travelled 612 kilometres between fills, but a far cry from those very cheap $1.116 previous fills earlier.

Pity that the ACCC capitulated and drank the industry Kool aid, so from here on to Christmas I can't see the ACCC doing anything about controlled by industry higher pricing.

Pity the poor country motorists if that attitude extends into the country with lame excuses as to "added transport costs"

PS in our travels we noted a lot of fuel tankers branded and otherwise on the move in the general metro area.

I note that Viva Energy has just built the biggest crude oil storage tank in Australia as part of a $300 million investment in Geelong refinery. The manager Thys Heyns says the tank that will hold 100 million litres of crude oil "This tank increases our crude oil storage capacity by 40 per cent and in fact can hold enough crude oil to meet Victoria's needs for about three days" The tank cost $50 million to erect and yes I think we might just be paying for it!!

The Swiss based energy trading titan Vitol paid $2.9 billion for the Geelong refinery and 870 Shell Branded service stationsin early in 2014. the refinery, one of four left in the nation can process 120,000 barrels of oil a day, to make petrol, diesel, jet fuel, bitumen, liquefied petroleum gas, propylene, solvents, avgas and marine fuel oil.

When Vitol bought the loss making Geelong refinery in 2014, it said it had five years to prove itself sustainable. Viva spun off its service station assets into a listed property trust mid last year, allowing it to post a $1.21 billion net profit for the 2016 Calendar year - well up from the $159.8 million profit in 2015.

Rival refiner Caltex (yes the ones that exported most of their refining supply chain $600 million dollar refining business offshore, some years back) is also upgrading its local fuel storage capacity, spending $75 million to install new tanks at its Newport fuel terminal. Based on a report in the Melbourne Herald Sun November 23, 2017. Financial pages.

Fascinating to see both the domestic Energy supply chain and the transport and fuel energy stock supply chain be concentrated to the extent that each can now easily influence, of their own decision and volition! the daily price that consumers will be forced to pay in higher fuel charges, Electricity costs and able control the added taxes and margins and so forth, that One nation quaintly pointed out recently, that the big sellers added costs between the supply and retailing to clip additional profit and yes, I don't think the ACCC is listening or creating competition in Energy markets.

Not looking good, but plenty of margin for artificially created high jumps in pricing and a slow roll down to allow savvy consumers to buy at THEIR low pricing (ie. not dictated by market forces cycles)

Responding on behalf of Alexander, I totally agree with you!

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information