• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Open question about visible signs of cam belt wear / age

Tadpole

Default Open question about visible signs of cam belt wear / age

About to replace HDI motor RHR from C5 into 307. 137km on C5 which was stat write off due to hit in the side. No BOOKS thought. Car was 2007 ish but of course NO BOOKS.

Upon examining timing belt, saw it was GATES, with writing still clearly visible in yellow. Looks in good condition, no crack, still soft etc.

Advertisement

Rang gates and was told if writing was still visible, belt was quit new (under 1 year).

Rang PUG dealer Service agent, told when they replace them, writing is always worn away.

Does this match your guys experiences?

Thanks
    Sorry if reopening topic, had quick look but couldn't find this info.

I don't know how much a new belt costs, or what special tools are required, but compared to the worst case scenario, wouldn't it be easy to just replace it whilst the motor is hanging off the engine crane and put the doubt out of your mind??

It is a much happier state to be in knowing that all the fluids are fresh and that the consumables (belts) are not going to munch the motor!!
    Jo
    driven and CEyssens like this.

1000+ Posts

Theres a lot to be said for peace of mind ,if you are going to gestimate how many k are on it already ,what would that be ,and then theres the time frame ,how long ago would you think its been on there ,if you have the vin or rego ,could you contact the local cit dealer and ask if they have any history ,i did this at suzuki in qld and they gave me the service history over the phone ,what was done and by which dealer ,you may possibly be able to do this from the engine number ,do cit dealers talk to one another ,if you have access to the donor see if you can find a service sticker somewhere and ring them ,ask ,iv been in this situation with a belt ,i just changed it for peace of mind ,pugs

Pics attached of two timing belts, each four years old. The belt is rarely the weak link, it is the tensioners that usually cause issues if their replacement is neglected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open question about visible signs of cam belt wear / age-dsc09328.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger

Be aware that the RHR blocks may be a different casting at the gearbox end for manual and auto installations. Any Citroen sold here using it will have been an auto, so if you are fitting to a manual 307, check carefully as I remember being caught out by the different bolt pattern on a donor block that had a clutch behind it some years ago.

Tadpole

thanks guys,

its an auto, same model so think I will be okay... will get the date of manufacture of belt from gates then decide.....

how long do idlers and water pumps typically last?

Thanks

Open question about visible signs of cam belt wear / age-belt-braces.jpg
    this (in the public domain /redacted as a detail) from an ad for an RHJ from '10 (or '11) - being only 75oookm. at the time - would seem too soon, by my reading?
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 21st September 2017 at 11:23 AM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pocoaust View Post
    thanks guys,

its an auto, same model so think I will be okay... will get the date of manufacture of belt from gates then decide.....

how long do idlers and water pumps typically last?

Thanks
    Hi pocoaust
    How long is a bit of string ? Renault idlers shed their plastic cover and cause havoc but the full metal idler/tensioners are OK if the bearings are not complaining. The water pump is uncertain but if proper coolant is used then it is more likely to be OK than if no coolant is used as shown by corrosion signs.
    The belts are usually OK too for long milages and times, despite what is written, BUT only as long as there are no oil leaks on to it which will soften the "rubber" and cause it to fail earlier.
    One other thing to consider is the difficulty of doing a belt change on those diesels. It requires some level of expertise and if you do not have that then do not start. It will never be easier than when out of the car but there are still the traps to fail with.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 22nd September 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Fordman likes this.

Thread Information