• 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By graham66

Thread: Bring Back The Diesel, Please!

Default Bring Back The Diesel, Please!

Kenfuego and dvr like this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

I recall seeing something about this years ago.
    It might have been ABC's Catalyst program or something similar.
    Although if memory serves, the company at that time was based in Queensland somewhere.
    Fantastic idea if it works, got to do something with old tyres.
    Even if the performance is the same with the fuel produced from the tyres, it's worth doing.
    jaahn likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

I've been in the UK this year enjoying the pleasures of a BX diesel.
    I'm quite aware of the pollution problems when you get a whole bunch of diesel cars in a small space, but I think that Australia still has quite a future for diesel cars, especially when we are able to produce our own biodiesel.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I recall seeing something about this years ago.
    It might have been ABC's Catalyst program or something similar.
    Although if memory serves, the company at that time was based in Queensland somewhere.
    Fantastic idea if it works, got to do something with old tyres.
    Even if the performance is the same with the fuel produced from the tyres, it's worth doing.
    A winner some years ago on the "New Inventors" - the series presented by James O'Loghlin

New Inventors: Molectra Tyre Recycling

Won invention of the year in 2005.

New Inventors: 2005 Finalists

The "invention" doesn't seem to have progressed very much in 12 years.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    The "invention" doesn't seem to have progressed very much in 12 years.
    The proponents might be hard put finding investors possibly due to pressure from the existing cartel of car energy suppliers, do you think? The cartel would be most averse to having their sales and profits dented whilst governments would find it hard to earn the same excise by taxing a a fantastic re-cycled product and so have no appetite to sponsor anything that would alter the status quo.

The same thing has happened with recycled oil industry. The public think that it is substandard because it has been used before. This line of bullshit is carefully nourished and propagated by the existing suppliers who would have had their profits sincerely dented had the idea taken off in a big way since it was invented by the Germans in WW11, something they really don't want! Oil does not wear out, but how much used oil has been burned to get rid of it instead of having it recycled?
    Kenfuego likes this.

Kim,

What you say may well be correct.

Regardless, the business has not progressed much beyond, recycled rubber products. And an expensive garden fertilizer. There is not even a hint of a diesel fuel substitute.

Molectra Technologies

If that represents 12 years growth for the business then it is far from stellar.

With respects, my post was intended to be fact.

Not an analysis of a list hypothetical reasons why the business may not have developed into a "world beater".

1000+ Posts

There was a factory in thailand producing diesel from re cycled plastic ,they were running a diesel generating plant ,being paid for input to the grid ,i think it was greenline developments ,haven't heard much about that lately either, pugs

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    There was a factory in thailand producing diesel from re cycled plastic ,they were running a diesel generating plant ,being paid for input to the grid ,i think it was greenline developments ,haven't heard much about that lately either, pugs
    http://greenlineenergy.com.au/wp-con...sentation.pptx

Not a particularly engaging presentation.
    Nor very much detail.

And I'm reminded that it was a f****** long time between Icarus' misadventure with his waxy wings whilst flying and the next successful flight in 1783.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bring Back The Diesel, Please!-1024px-gowy-icaro-prado.jpg   Bring Back The Diesel, Please!-montgolfier-bros..jpg  
    pug206gti likes this.

I applaud your knowledge of Greek Mythology. And your fascination with matters pertaining to flying.

But fail to see the relevance to recyled rubber tyres being used to produce diesel fuel.

You, Rob, like alexander, can never see the wood for the trees. I simply said, through a simple analogy, that it was a long time before anyone perfected flying. Like turning used tyres into diesel fuel, the idea of flying had been around for a long time. Longer than 12 years.
    Do I need to spell out in a long and boring post what I mean when most others would have grasped what I was saying in milliseconds?
    Analogy: "a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification".

And my fascination with flying probably stems from my being a qualified aircraft maintenance fitter......
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 6th September 2017 at 06:44 PM.
    cjl likes this.

Apologies Kim,

I'm not qualified in aircraft fitting. So therefore I'm not looking for abstract concepts.

I'm a qualified communications engineer and relate best to maths and physics with clearly defined concepts and rules.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Not a problem, Rob! We just need to be on the same page.....

1000+ Posts

Well I am happy to see alternative fuel sources and diesel should be one fuel that could be made from other energy sources or supplemented in supply by say converting Victorian Brown coal to Diesel fuel. Of course biofuels from recycled materials (if competitive) with refinery fuel,would be even better.

Will all probably depend upon some level of support or a mandated mix of fuels, but in general the more energy we have the better we can be when some sources become less economic or tangential benefits lead to their introduction.

The fact that the raw materials exist in the form of recyclable waste is important and probably kind to the environment.

Thanks for the link.

Ken

I would like to put some points forward for consideration. They might explain why "nothing has happened' to this project for a long time.

It needs a production/recycling facility built. Big enough to ensure economies of scale. Where will it be built? Wherever, it will be expensive.

Raw material logistics. Wherever the plant is, one billion used tyres are not. The logistics of transporting them from all over the country or world will be expensive.

Storage. Now we've produced a few million litres of BioDiesel, where will we put it? There might be a few disused tank farms about, they are owned by our opposition and even if they sell one to us, is it anywhere near where we can afford to build our plant? Expensive.

Distribution. Now we have our millions of litres of BioDiesel safely stored, can we use an existing distribution network to sell it? I think not Baldrick. The network is controlled by our opposition, and although we could try flogging it through independents, the cartel would quickly stop selling them petrol. Nope, unless we set up our own distribution chain, we don't have a market. Expensive.

Export. As we don't have a ready market for our product in Australia, we could export all our BioDiesel to any country whose oil industry is not controlled by the cartel. Woops, there isn't one! There is actually, but I don't think Venezuala needs BioDiesel. Houston, we have a problem! Fail.
    hypermiler likes this.

Just license the tech out to others. The world's busiest shipping ports might be the ideal collection/production points. Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong..

Australia is a knowledge/service economy. We don't get our hands dirty here anymore.
    dvr likes this.

How about this.
    GET THE LARGEST TANKER ( SHIP) OUT OF STORAGE. SET UP A HUGE RECYCLE SYSTEM ONBOARD, SAIL TO THE BIGGEST CENTRES OF POPULATION (OF TYRES). I ASSUME THESE WOULD COINCIDE WITH THE MAJOR CITIES AROUND ALL THE WORDS COASTLINES.

PROCESS AND STORE THE PRODUCTS IN THE VARIOUS COMPARTMENTS ONBOARD.
    WITH THE LAST FULL LOAD PROCESSED. THE TANKER SAILS TO THE NEXT PROCESSING SITE, PAYING FOR THE TRIP WITH THE LOAD OF PRODUCTS.
    I ASSUME THAT THE PRODUCTS, STEEL,CARBON AND OIL ARE ALREADY TRANSPORTED THIS WAY. SO WITH A LARGE SCALE PROCESSING PLANT ABLE TO TRAVEL THE WORLD WITH A LOAD FROM ONE PORT TO ANOTHER. THIS SOLVES 1.THE SITE. 2.THE PROCESS FACILITY. 3.STORAGE. 4.TRANSPORT.

BTW. I WAS A CLAM DIGGER (A GOOD ONE).

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    How about this.
    GET THE LARGEST TANKER ( SHIP) OUT OF STORAGE. SET UP A HUGE RECYCLE SYSTEM ONBOARD, SAIL TO THE BIGGEST CENTRES OF POPULATION (OF TYRES). I ASSUME THESE WOULD COINCIDE WITH THE MAJOR CITIES AROUND ALL THE WORDS COASTLINES.

PROCESS AND STORE THE PRODUCTS IN THE VARIOUS COMPARTMENTS ONBOARD.
    WITH THE LAST FULL LOAD PROCESSED. THE TANKER SAILS TO THE NEXT PROCESSING SITE, PAYING FOR THE TRIP WITH THE LOAD OF PRODUCTS.
    I ASSUME THAT THE PRODUCTS, STEEL,CARBON AND OIL ARE ALREADY TRANSPORTED THIS WAY. SO WITH A LARGE SCALE PROCESSING PLANT ABLE TO TRAVEL THE WORLD WITH A LOAD FROM ONE PORT TO ANOTHER. THIS SOLVES 1.THE SITE. 2.THE PROCESS FACILITY. 3.STORAGE. 4.TRANSPORT.

BTW. I WAS A CLAM DIGGER (A GOOD ONE).
    I think you must have missed the bit about distributing and exporting the product.......

Nah, just set it up near a port.
    Car and trucks aren't the only (or even the biggest) consumers of diesel fuel.
    Ships consume vast quantities of diesel so are excellent customers.
    So, the ship brings in the tyres.
    The tyres are processed at the port and the resultant diesel is stored temporarily at the port.
    The diesel is used as bunker fuel for the vessels that call at the port.
    You wouldn't need huge storage tanks and thousands of outlet across the country.
    A few acres of land at a few major ports would be enough to make a difference.

Or a rail head.
    Again trains transport the tyres to the processing centre.
    The tyres are processed and the resultant diesel is stored temporarily at site.
    The (diesel electric) trains consume the diesel and transport the remainder of the fuel to other storage areas.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Nah, just set it up near a port.
    Car and trucks aren't the only (or even the biggest) consumers of diesel fuel.
    Ships consume vast quantities of diesel so are excellent customers.
    So, the ship brings in the tyres.
    The tyres are processed at the port and the resultant diesel is stored temporarily at the port.
    The diesel is used as bunker fuel for the vessels that call at the port.
    You wouldn't need huge storage tanks and thousands of outlet across the country.
    A few acres of land at a few major ports would be enough to make a difference.

Or a rail head.
    Again trains transport the tyres to the processing centre.
    The tyres are processed and the resultant diesel is stored temporarily at site.
    The (diesel electric) trains consume the diesel and transport the remainder of the fuel to other storage areas.
    You may be technically correct in your calling Bunker Oil "diesel" however I believe it is not like the diesel you use in your car, in fact, it might be almost the same as the lubricating oil used in marine engines. It is not very far removed from multi-million year old rotten timber.....

Thread Information