Car collections Geraldton to Perth
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Car collections Geraldton to Perth

WA car enthusiasts-what is there to see in this part of WA [ car collections/museums etc. ]as we will be over that way in a week or two. Sadly not driving our own car over.

Advertisement

The obvious choice here is the Whiteman Park motor museum - it's in the Swan valley on the outskirts of Perth metro, also a popular area of wineries and cafes on the city's doorstep. I saw last week that the museum has recently been upgraded with a motor sport addition. Motor Museum of W.A.

You say not driving your own car, but if you are coming by road, you will drive through Cunderdin about 160kms before Perth, not cars but a museum in one of the old pumping stations on the Perth-Kalgoorlie water pipeline. Haven't been there for years, hope it is still there.

About 100kms from Perth is York, a favourite historic town, with a small motor museum, and all the requirements for a Sunday drive.
    https://www.yorkmotormuseum.com/

There may be still a few wildflowers around in the mid-west, generally Eastwards from Geraldton but making an alternate route to or from Perth.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)
    2003 BA wagon LPG (For Sale)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info- looking forward to see the other end of this great country.

Tadpole

I know it is not car related, but if you have an hour or 2 to spare whilst in Geraldton, I would recommend a visit to the HMAS Sydney memorial. We attended a very memorable ceremony there in November last to celebrate the 75th. anniversary of the sinking (with all hands) of the second HMAS Sydney during WW2. Due to family connections we had a fairly large family gathering which was most memorable.

We have Froggers in Geraldton too. Poke around this site and you'll find them.

Somewhere up that way, south of Geraldton I believe, is supposed to be the largest collection of Vincent HRD bikes on the planet. I'm told there are nearly 30 of them. It's quite amazing, but I don't know more.

The French and Fantastic Car Club has a drive day Sunday 17th but I guess you won't be here by then.

I'm not sure exactly what is there, but there are some Dutch shipwreck things in Geraldton too, but again I haven't been there for years so don't know more.

What is your itinerary?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Geraldton this Thursday to Saturday 23rd then to Perth for a week. First visit to the West, looking forward to it.

Ah. I reckon the big decision is whether to stay in Perth for a week or spend 2-3 days getting a slight feel for the wonderful south-west forests. You can get to Margaret River by mid-morning, then the Boranup Forest and wineries etc, the far SW corner at Augusta etc etc.

In Perth, the "old" maritime museum with the Dutch shipwrecks in the middle of Fremantle is special for us. King's Park botanic garden and the gift shop there, and war memorial, is all so good and so close to central Perth.

The car museum "Fordman" mentioned is in the northern suburbs, perhaps 40 minutes' drive from the CBD. He's quite right to suggest it.

Good luck with it and shout if you get into trouble!!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information