photos with number plates covered when selling cars???
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: photos with number plates covered when selling cars???

Tadpole

Default photos with number plates covered when selling cars???

so I've got a question that I've been trying to answer unsuccessfully for a while now... maybe you guys can help me out.

you know how sometimes when people list their cars online for sale and they squiggle out the number plate or some how cover it up in the photos... why do they do this?

there is maybe a good reason for it?? If there is I haven't been able to figure it out.

can anyone explain to me the logic behind this please

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

It's another internet habit picked up here from the USA, where they have a Driver's Privacy Protection Act, 1994. The act actually prohibits disclosure of information about the plate holder. People there mistakenly think it prohibits display of the number when that's really a bit pointless when I watch you drive away.

The theory is that the number will allow ID theft of some unspecified kind. It's rubbish. Just try asking for your neighbour's intimate details from the RMS.

English eBay has another reason, that makes little sense in NSW where the cops carry RMS enabled computers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/One-VERY-I...4327984/g.html It's bull in England too.
    Last edited by seasink; 30th August 2017 at 10:51 AM.

Not knowing the rego also makes it more difficult to check on the vehicle's provenance!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Apparently there is a stall here in Melbourne at Victoria Market where you can have a number plate made up for a number you select which the rogues then use on their car to speed , go through red light cameras etc and the poor unfortunate whose number plate identity has been stolen starts getting expensive letters from the RTA. It would not be a good idea for the rogues to randomly select a number from cars driving by in the street - that could be a Police car or whatever - much better to use a number from a car advertised for sale - at least they know - not a Police car and the car for sale should be shown as being registered or not.

In Queensland you can get fined if you advertise a registered vehicle for sale without a safety certificate. Safety Certs are about $120 but only last 60 days. If you have a car that doesn't sell within the 60days then you're up for another $120 or so plus the hassle of getting it inspected, so maybe some sellers obscure the number plates for this reason:

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/rules/selling

"Even if you plan to cancel the registration before you sell it, you must get a safety certificate for the vehicle if you list it for sale while it is still registered"
    You can get an on-the-spot fine if:

• you do not have a safety certificate or certificate of inspection for your vehicle from the moment you list it for sale

or
    • you are found with an expired safety certificate or certificate of inspection for your vehicle."

Fellow Frogger!

Also, if you go for a test drive in a demo car and notice it has 4000k (actual example) on the clock, then you see the same car advertised for sale months latter on 'carsales' with 3100K on the clock after a few further months test drives. I guess it is the same for those car companies who hand over test vehicles to the motoring journalist to flog around and write up in magazines and Youtube videos. They also probably turn up on the demo market and sold to the general public with unknown and untraceable past history. Imagine buying a car that has been photographed doing power slides by the Jeremy Clarkson (ex Top Gear) or other big note journalist. Would you buy this car - it has been flogged to it's limits! You thought you bought a lemon but you unknowingly bought a very second hand car sold as a low kilometer demo. It's all about keeping the pre-sale tractability of the vehicle confidential so it can be sold as a pristine demo or new car.

(P.S. See 'ACCC Car Retailing' thread "at it's worst" they didn't mention this in the report.)
    Last edited by halfamill; 31st August 2017 at 07:48 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Also on Qld you can be fined by the Local Area Council if you advertise a car for sale on any Council owned property- even the footpath. With no rego number it is harder to track the owner of the vehicle, so this may be another reason.

1000+ Posts

Do you think Mr Plod might know about the Melbourne market stall? Sounds like a myth to me.

Leaving cars, for sale or not, with no plates on the footpath or roadway or public space around here will get a ticket of they can find you, and possibly a tow away. I wouldn't do it. An apparently unregistered car gets reported in minutes.
    WLB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Do you think Mr Plod might know about the Melbourne market stall? Sounds like a myth to me.
    Number Plates 4 Fun - Design and Order Your Plate

Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Thanks Rob. No offering looks official though. No state or Place to Be. I'll bet they would be careful not to copy anything real too closely.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Thanks Rob. No offering looks official though. No state or Place to Be. I'll bet they would be careful not to copy anything real too closely.
    The web name says it all. Designed to used on the wall of the the man's cave.

And they probably sell quite well to a certain "market "

Not a product I'd buy.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

They also steal number plates so they can fill their car at servo's and do a runner without paying!

JBN

I reckon a number plate with NOT ME on it would fool the speed cameras.

John

Not a myth I was send some fines for my plate from victoria and my car was 2,000klms away in qld at the time

You cover the number plate ( cause of insurance company cover... Just say I am selling my car a peugeot 205 Gti and I selling for 10k 'pretty cheap' and my insurance is cover is 20k... Some wit runs up the back of it in a Datsun 120y the insurance company see's your add and matching plate numbers for half its worth, I bet that's what you get 10k that is it cause your happy to sell it for that not the 20k it's insuranced for)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by popinandgettaa View Post
    You cover the number plate ( cause of insurance company cover... Just say I am selling my car a peugeot 205 Gti and I selling for 10k 'pretty cheap' and my insurance is cover is 20k... Some wit runs up the back of it in a Datsun 120y the insurance company see's your add and matching plate numbers for half its worth, I bet that's what you get 10k that is it cause your happy to sell it for that not the 20k it's insuranced for)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using aussiefrogs mobile app
    No, not necessarily so.
    If you have an agreed value policy and it's at $20K then it's going to be the agreed value.
    If it's market value then you might get the $10K or market value, whichever is less.
    You're paying more for an agreed value policy so they have to honour the amount covered.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Thread Information