Programmable keys
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Programmable keys

Default Programmable keys

This isn't about French cars, but it sure makes you think carefully about those troublesome programmed keys which are everywhere these days.

B.C. couple employs hacker, spends thousands to replace minivan key | CTV News

Regards,
    John

Advertisement

Another reason to have spare keys cut when you buy a second hand car. Being a 15yo Jap import did not help this couple.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Hi Dimistyle
    Yes well just cutting a spare key is not so easy either. My daughters 2003 Mitzi Starwagon had only one key, that looked a simple non remote type, when we got it but it has an immobiliser chip so the key is $132 dollars?? But it was said if we lost it then to get the dealer to supply a key from scratch would be more than the car was worth.
    Another case of manufacturers charging a lot because there is no choice. Customer service what is that ??? PSA is guilty of this here in Australia to a large degree. Perhaps they might get more repeat sales if they changed their ways, but not much sign of that
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Dimistyle
    Yes well just cutting a spare key is not so easy either. My daughters 2003 Mitzi Starwagon had only one key, that looked a simple non remote type, when we got it but it has an immobiliser chip so the key is $132 dollars?? But it was said if we lost it then to get the dealer to supply a key from scratch would be more than the car was worth.
    Another case of manufacturers charging a lot because there is no choice. Customer service what is that ??? PSA is guilty of this here in Australia to a large degree. Perhaps they might get more repeat sales if they changed their ways, but not much sign of that
    Jaahn

Take the working key to a key cutting kiosk (or an "automotive locksmith), I faced the same situation with my son's ex Honda.

The working key, cut and rfid chip chip cloned cost $70.
    dimistyle and jaahn like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Had a Jap import Passat and rhe main VAG dealer charged $300 for a spare non flip. Usual story they have to request details from Germany. They got the coding wrong twice so took about a month to get a spare in the end.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Take the working key to a key cutting kiosk (or an "automotive locksmith), I faced the same situation with my son's ex Honda.
    The working key, cut and rfid chip chip cloned cost $70.
    Hi Rob
    That $132 was from the local Kiosk and local locksmith. I never bothered to ask the dealer a price
    I must admit I would swim to Asia in preference to going to a dealer. What does that say ????
    Jaahn

Hi Rob
    That $132 was from the local Kiosk and local locksmith. I never bothered to ask the dealer a price
    I must admit I would swim to Asia in preference to going to a dealer. What does that say ????
    Jaahn
    You are a good swimmer???

Jo
    UFO likes this.

Hi Rob
    Jaahn
    That is a very expensive key .

I'd suggest he is subsidizing his trips to Asia on your key duplication.

But I guess that beats swimming.

For either of you.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Thread Information