Programmable keys
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Programmable keys

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    94

    Default Programmable keys

    This isn't about French cars, but it sure makes you think carefully about those troublesome programmed keys which are everywhere these days.

    B.C. couple employs hacker, spends thousands to replace minivan key | CTV News

    Regards,
    John

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! dimistyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Another reason to have spare keys cut when you buy a second hand car. Being a 15yo Jap import did not help this couple.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,831

    Default

    Hi Dimistyle
    Yes well just cutting a spare key is not so easy either. My daughters 2003 Mitzi Starwagon had only one key, that looked a simple non remote type, when we got it but it has an immobiliser chip so the key is $132 dollars?? But it was said if we lost it then to get the dealer to supply a key from scratch would be more than the car was worth.
    Another case of manufacturers charging a lot because there is no choice. Customer service what is that ??? PSA is guilty of this here in Australia to a large degree. Perhaps they might get more repeat sales if they changed their ways, but not much sign of that
    Jaahn

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Dimistyle
    Yes well just cutting a spare key is not so easy either. My daughters 2003 Mitzi Starwagon had only one key, that looked a simple non remote type, when we got it but it has an immobiliser chip so the key is $132 dollars?? But it was said if we lost it then to get the dealer to supply a key from scratch would be more than the car was worth.
    Another case of manufacturers charging a lot because there is no choice. Customer service what is that ??? PSA is guilty of this here in Australia to a large degree. Perhaps they might get more repeat sales if they changed their ways, but not much sign of that
    Jaahn

    Take the working key to a key cutting kiosk (or an "automotive locksmith), I faced the same situation with my son's ex Honda.

    The working key, cut and rfid chip chip cloned cost $70.
    dimistyle and jaahn like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! dimistyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Had a Jap import Passat and rhe main VAG dealer charged $300 for a spare non flip. Usual story they have to request details from Germany. They got the coding wrong twice so took about a month to get a spare in the end.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Take the working key to a key cutting kiosk (or an "automotive locksmith), I faced the same situation with my son's ex Honda.
    The working key, cut and rfid chip chip cloned cost $70.
    Hi Rob
    That $132 was from the local Kiosk and local locksmith. I never bothered to ask the dealer a price
    I must admit I would swim to Asia in preference to going to a dealer. What does that say ????
    Jaahn

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Rob
    That $132 was from the local Kiosk and local locksmith. I never bothered to ask the dealer a price
    I must admit I would swim to Asia in preference to going to a dealer. What does that say ????
    Jaahn
    You are a good swimmer???

    Jo
    UFO likes this.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Rob
    That $132 was from the local Kiosk and local locksmith. I never bothered to ask the dealer a price
    I must admit I would swim to Asia in preference to going to a dealer. What does that say ????
    Jaahn
    That is a very expensive key .

    I'd suggest he is subsidizing his trips to Asia on your key duplication.

    But I guess that beats swimming.

    For either of you.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •