ACCC report - Car Retailing - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 70 of 70
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: ACCC report - Car Retailing

  1. #51
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    hampton victoria australia
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Lawyer is in background, helping to make the bullets that will be fired. Lawyer is in Japan, so largely undetectable.

    If lawyer turns up at hearing VW then have opportunity to turn up with team of QC's and threaten costs award unless we back down ( all same Channel Seven )

    Mech engineer is good idea, but we have not had access to the car for last seven weeks

    Advertisement


    Any ideas as to suitable person gratefully accepted

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hope you told them of the professional representation in the directions hearing.

    And have a mechanically qualified person to support your arguments.

  2. #52
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Back to my aircraft maintenance analogy. Unless you were a qualified LAME you could not work on your own Cessna, or that of anyone elses'. Why so? Isn't that anti competitive? Or is it just insisting that the influence of dickheads is entirely removed from the maintenance safety equation?

    Instead of whinging about poor service, why aren't people sticking it up the RACV et al and insisting car mechanics are properly qualified so that we can spend even more on keeping our vehicles going?
    You are too funny, Kim! I've never heard of a car falling out of the sky when the engine failed
    BTW, i suspect aircraft mechanics are better trained if the one i met is the rule. I had a cylinderhead fail in the meddle of SA due to virtually instantaneous coolant loss. I took the head off and the local mechanic in Kimba did the rest. I watched him and noted his impeccable work method. Asked him where he leaned his trade - he was an aircraft mechanic in WWII.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  3. #53
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    By avoiding the dealer service network, however, those owners also avoid having to confront service executives regarding shoddy work and dodgy work practices thus helping to perpetuate them.
    Thats me, Kim.
    Just took my i30 (50,000km 7 years old) To an independent small garage.
    He suggested the parts he replaced (wiper blades, air filters, black gearbox oil) were most likely the ones the car came with, and was not really surprised when I told him the car formerly mums and had always been dealer serviced.

    I won't be going back to that dealer to let their arrogant service executive know about dodgy work practices, and on my advice mum won't be taking her brand new renault back there either.

    Jo

  4. #54
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    How you can buy a new car from a dealership whose service centre you claim is run by arrogant people with dodgy work practices would appear at face value to require a more detailed explanation.

    Could it be that your intense and public dislike for the service department at said dealership was simply and easily overcome by a favourable financial offer on a new vehicle by their sales team? Some people with integrity might have let their intense dislike for part of the organisation avoid them dealing with the organisation at all.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  5. #55
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    How you can buy a new car from a dealership whose service centre you claim is run by arrogant people with dodgy work practices …..
    We didn't and probably never will again.
    Went a long way out of our area to buy the car from a dealer who actually went to some effort.

    Jo

  6. #56
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    10,024

    Icon11 Consumer trust!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    How you can buy a new car from a dealership whose service centre you claim is run by arrogant people with dodgy work practices would appear at face value to require a more detailed explanation.

    Could it be that your intense and public dislike for the service department at said dealership was simply and easily overcome by a favourable financial offer on a new vehicle by their sales team? Some people with integrity might have let their intense dislike for part of the organisation avoid them dealing with the organisation at all.
    Years back kim, I had a colleague who was spare time working at the Toyota local factory, and he had his then brand new Toyota serviced at yes a "Toyota" factory dealership.

    He wasn't impressed with their high charges and responses, so when booking his car in to "service" on one of the more extensive listed services, he examined the list of things to be replaced, then marked all the filters and consumer items with a coded mark.

    When he got the car back from the service he checked the itemised bill and on checking the list of parts charged and claimed to have been fitted, he found none of the expensive service items that were listed and charged for had been fitted.

    That problem was quickly fixed of course, but my thought then, was how many other owners had been more trusting and got ripped off by the same firm.

    I bet that after that experience they at least looked to see if the filters etc had been marked by the sneaky owner!!

    Probably even more reason to check these days with the high cost of consumer parts and services. Trust is such a difficult thing, but yours to bestow if they deserve the confidence. IMHO!

    Maybe that is one reason I like to check replaced parts when my cars are serviced at regular intervals.

    Ken

  7. #57
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    We didn't and probably never will again.
    Went a long way out of our area to buy the car from a dealer who actually went to some effort.

    Jo
    No Wuckers!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  8. #58
    Fellow Frogger! dmccurtayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Newcastle/ central coast
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    You are too funny, Kim! I've never heard of a car falling out of the sky when the engine failed
    BTW, i suspect aircraft mechanics are better trained if the one i met is the rule. I had a cylinderhead fail in the meddle of SA due to virtually instantaneous coolant loss. I took the head off and the local mechanic in Kimba did the rest. I watched him and noted his impeccable work method. Asked him where he leaned his trade - he was an aircraft mechanic in WWII.
    Lol I remember a certain qantas mechanic couldn't get his oil filter off his 505 so he put a coke can around it with hose clamps props to him but because it made it from the central coast to foster before it went bang.


    Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

  9. #59
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    You are too funny, Kim! I've never heard of a car falling out of the sky when the engine failed
    If an aircraft were to pass another one going in the opposite direction a couple of metres away at a combined speed of 200 km/h, CASA would start an investigation. You and I are happy to do exactly that every day we're on the highway, where the tolerance for maladjusted or badly maintained steering or brakes on the road is zero. Windscreen wiper blades can cause accidents, as can cut tyres, even leaking exhausts. All these things should be picked up at service, but who services the car, how often and do they really care? Professionals service aircraft (a little more than the engine in fact), shouldn't they be servicing our cars?
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  10. #60
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,336

    Default

    And I assume you don't replace your own tap washers or light globes.

    It's far too "risky" for a non qualified person.

    It's always better to pay a professional, whose skill can easily determined by the fees they charge.

    However many non "qualified" people make it their business to study and acquire the necessary skills to perform so called "professionals" works. AF is A testament to that.

    I think you may need to embrace the Australian concept of "have a go, mate"

    Because like it or not that is exactly what will prevail.
    Ceenine and Kenfuego like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  11. #61
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    17,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    ... i suspect aircraft mechanics are better trained .......
    I would hope so, but I where there are people, someone is going to find a way to mess it up. I know of one chap who ended in the wheelchair when he picked up his helicopter after service. It took off ok, gained enough altitude to wreck his back when the thing failed and hit the ground, stuff ups are not so funny when they impact on peoples life that seriously. Not only did he end up in the chair but serious constant pain that medical science struggled to master.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  12. #62
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    And I assume you don't replace your own tap washers or light globes.

    It's far too "risky" for a non qualified person.

    It's always better to pay a professional, whose skill can easily determined by the fees they charge.

    However many non "qualified" people make it their business to study and acquire the necessary skills to perform so called "professionals" works. AF is A testament to that.

    I think you may need to embrace the Australian concept of "have a go, mate"

    Because like it or not that is exactly what will prevail.
    I'm acquainted with unqualified people who have performed (quite illegally) almost every conceivable task from rewiring 240V and 415V around their homes and factories to performing surgery on gas appliances. I give their domiciles a wide berth.

    As a long qualified fitter, I've never had the arrogance to presume that simply because I'm competent in one sphere that my expertise automatically qualifies me in every other. Even commentary......
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  13. #63
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I'm acquainted with unqualified people who have performed (quite illegally) almost every conceivable task from rewiring 240V and 415V around their homes and factories to performing surgery on gas appliances. I give their domiciles a wide berth.
    Thats nothing!

    I knew a guy who without any prior experience performed a desexing on his german shepherd bitch.

    It all went well too….until about 4 days later when the bitch decided to chew out the stitches and let her guts fall out.

    Jo

  14. #64
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Thats nothing!

    I knew a guy who without any prior experience performed a desexing on his german shepherd bitch.

    It all went well too….until about 4 days later when the bitch decided to chew out the stitches and let her guts fall out.

    Jo
    Pity one of his mates didn't have the gumption to offer him a home sterilisation of his own! Poor dog!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  15. #65
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I'm acquainted with unqualified people who have performed (quite illegally) almost every conceivable task from rewiring 240V and 415V around their homes and factories to performing surgery on gas appliances. I give their domiciles a wide berth.

    As a long qualified fitter, I've never had the arrogance to presume that simply because I'm competent in one sphere that my expertise automatically qualifies me in every other. Even commentary......
    Factoring in your "offerings" in this thread I ask myself what your interest, in AF could possibly be ?

    You leave all work on your car to professionals and actively promote the idea others should do the same.

    Just to remind you, of the AF "creed" Sharing the Knowledge. Which very much encompasses the concept of DIY car repair and modification.

    And for the record I would consider a few of the "learning by doing, gifted amateurs" AF members streets ahead in skills of many dealer mechanics. Mainly due to their unpaid commitment to the craft of auto mechanics.

    A corollary of fact that hands on learning is a perfectly valid method to acquire skills.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  16. #66
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    Three things.

    Firstly, "hands on learning is a perfectly valid method to acquire skills" So which airline do you fly on?

    Secondly, I'm lucky enough to have been able to afford to buy new vehicles on several occasions, and as they were in warranty had them serviced by the dealers that sold them. No failures or complaints.

    Thirdly, I'm sharing this knowledge with you and others because although I'm quite capable of performing mechanical repairs on my Renaults, none of them have ever got to the age where they needed any......

    Fourthly, I'm a Renault enthusiast.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  17. #67
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Three things.

    Firstly, "hands on learning is a perfectly valid method to acquire skills" So which airline do you fly on?

    Secondly, I'm lucky enough to have been able to afford to buy new vehicles on several occasions, and as they were in warranty had them serviced by the dealers that sold them. No failures or complaints.

    Thirdly, I'm sharing this knowledge with you and others because although I'm quite capable of performing mechanical repairs on my Renaults, none of them have ever got to the age where they needed any......

    Fourthly, I'm a Renault enthusiast.
    Whatever..

    Ps we ARE disusing car maintenance.

    It was you who introduced aircraft into the discussion.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  18. #68
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,032

    Default

    The aircraft analogies were simply to explain why qualified maintenance is better than home schooled, in most cases.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  19. #69
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    10,024

    Icon10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    The aircraft analogies were simply to explain why qualified maintenance is better than home schooled, in most cases.
    I like the qualifier Kim...in most cases

    Ken

  20. #70
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    The aircraft analogies were simply to explain why qualified maintenance is better than home schooled, in most cases.
    Or a furphy to distract or deflect, a KL specialist technique.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •