New Scientist on Hydrogen production as a fuel.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego

Thread: New Scientist on Hydrogen production as a fuel.

1000+ Posts

Icon5 New Scientist on Hydrogen production as a fuel.

Article suggests that this new product "in the pipeline" might one day fuel vehicles.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ust-add-water/

Be handy if you could add water to a chamber containing this material and then run your car, perhaps press a button and add more material to the water but will it get up to practical use by consumers or remain a military project with all the possibilities that may dream up.

Then of course people these days are always looking to the downsides, expense in production, the whys of environmental issues both in production and disposal of residues (Often ignored by promoters of wonder products in their spin to get it on the market.

Some of those side issues covered in the comments on "Watts up with That" site.. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/08/...ust-add-water/

Hydrogen as a fuel or fuel cell of course has had some devotees on this forum in the past. Maybe this can fulfil their desires.

Ken

Advertisement

Is Froggy chat or Toad Pond suitable for this thread?

Methinks the latter since it doesn't have a scrap of French car content.

Sorry Ken, but there one member at least who acts as the "thought police" and I have beaten him to it this time.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Narrow thinkers never invent anything - Scientists do. it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Is Froggy chat or Toad Pond suitable for this thread?

Methinks the latter since it doesn't have a scrap of French car content.

Sorry Ken, but there one member at least who acts as the "thought police" and I have beaten him to it this time.
    Are French cars and their owners barred from thinking about fuel technology that might be introduced, as other fuels become scarce and we look to keep our cars running legally on our roads.

Methinks we can do without thought police in any French Car chat forum, though I do appreciate thoughtful information or links to discussion on the subject dear to our hearts.

I take it "toad Pond" is your desire to get a Hydrogen fuel subject into the role of foolish posts that destroy the technical nature of the subject and get it closed off, a form of censorship, end to discussion that some have practised in the past.

To my knowledge there have been many Froggy Chat posts on the subject of Hydrogen as both a fuel and fuel cell development.

The New Scientist article is hopefully a new refreshing development as fossil fuels are either phased out or taxed out of existence.

Thought police seem antithesis to good discussion IMHO!

Hmmn plenty of other automotive general discussion in Froggy Chat and our cars do need fuel be it Fossil, electrical, or other. (Even non French cars like yours)

Ken

I take it "toad Pond" is your desire to get a Hydrogen fuel subject into the role of foolish posts that destroy the technical nature of the subject and get it closed off, a form of censorship, end to discussion that some have practised in the past.
    Your "take" is quite wrong.

So is your adherence to Forum Rules.

Especially with the "gratuitous" link to your favorite denier site.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Icon12 Time to re-look, Rob. without cherry picking personal dislikes.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Your "take" is quite wrong.

So is your adherence to Forum Rules.

Especially with the "gratuitous" link to your favorite denier site.
    Stop the gratuitous insults Rob, does nothing for the forum. I was somewhat puzzled by your denier reference so I went to the link and looked carefully at the comments and links.

There is a quite good discussion, with lots of issues raised by people who have obviously worked on aluminium products and know some of the problems that need to be met. Quite a variety of chemistry, introduced with equations politely corrected (and the corrections accepted without argument) within the rather amicable discussions, on the subject.

Also some good links produced on what looks to be earlier research if not on this material, very similar material and some background to the various methods of using hydrogen as a fuel or fuel cell over the years.

I would appreciate it if you would control or temper your comments or at least examine the site with unbiased eyes. Sure people have opinions and it would be surprising if someone didn't express something that you personally don't like. , but that is no reason for not looking at the discussion and content, you might learn something you don't know.

And in the final analysis, you don't even have to look , so really best to hold those gratuitous comments, and of course people here (and there) can make up their own minds, that is the value of such topics, civil conversation civil discussion. It is not really hard. please try..

I think the bottom line is that hydrogen fuel is there, it has been used in a historical sense and no doubt if we run out of other fuels there will be researchers working on ideas and theories. That is the way science and inventive minds work. Good things come out of research. IMHO!

All good stuff, respect it. enjoy life.

Now we have both said our piece, let there be peace and good conversation.

Regards
    Ken
    cjl likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Believe you can buy a hydrogen fuel-cell car if you want. There's a catch though - only one place you can refuel in Sydney. Worse still it seems to come in LHD only. I'm referring to the Hyundai ix35 fuel cell. I was working recently @Macca Park & walked past Hyundai Aus HQ every day, saw the thing in the window regularly. Might soon be two filling stations as I read somewhere they've sold a fleet of these things to the ACT government. (Not sure if they've converted to RHD for this customer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)

The Watts Up With That site doesn't offer any comments about the New Scientist article. They only reproduce a few paragraphs (including original links therein), so I am not sure what their point is or if indeed they have one. They do provide a link to the original paper on the NS site.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 10th August 2017 at 12:29 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Icon12 Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    The Watts Up With That site doesn't offer any comments about the New Scientist article. They only reproduce a few paragraphs (including original links therein), so I am not sure what their point is or if indeed they have one. They do provide a link to the original paper on the NS site.
    Correct, just as I supplied the link to the New Scientist site in my first post, the Watts site does what it does, presents interesting snippets and reports over a wide range of topics and then the people who visit the site who seem to like discussing all sorts of science and current affairs, and they do just that!

As a car/fuel interested person they often have interesting discussion, mostly orderly, but like any discussion site, people do have divergent opinions and experience in many fields. and find some interesting references that I myself find quite worthwhile, some quite a bit deeper than my expertise I must say, the other thing of course that to me is important is that anyone, even a non expert, lay person can ask questions and they (the ones that frequent the site) don't seem to mind explaining the science behind things as long as they aren't having to deal with smart alecs who want to argue, not try and understand the complexities of any of the many topics they cover.

I went back and checked for myself it all seems pretty similar to discussions we have on froggy chat. I don't always agree with some of the things put forward, it is easy to suss out good information from bad, and that is the only reason I put up the link AND the original site they linked from. thinking sites for thinking people.

Anyway that is all from me, most is above my chemistry pay grade...

Regards

Ken

Thread Information