Great Driving Roads - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Great Driving Roads

Fellow Frogger!

German system even better

No limit at all on 50% of the Autobahn network ( Stau permitting ). It works

Difference is that their drivers are competent and well trained and most of ours aren't. They will also obey the rules when necessary ( e.g. slow down when wet or vis bad )

Andrew

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean View Post
    Yes, I know. I was using it as an example of writing it up in a way that allows others to find the location and know what to expect.

It's a great driving area around there, athough much of it is probably sign posted at a speed faster than most would actually feel comfortable driving.

New Zealand is a classic case of weird speed limits. A goat track through the mountains and a motorway both have a 100km/h speed limit. Go figure.

The French sysyem makes more sense to me. There are only 3 speed limits. Towns are 50km/h. Motorways are 130km/h. Everything else is 90km/h.

Advertisement

JBN

But German Autobahns are boring drives even though you get from A to B quickly and efficiently. In 1974, I drove parts of Germany and other European countries using the BP road atlas. They had the scenic routes marked in green. Typically, they wound along the great German rivers and along those rivers one found the vineyards precariously following the steep banks.

We did travel along the autobahns once or twice when making up time, but for free campers in a VW Kombi, driving off the autobahn to camp for free in a paddock, and worse trying to extricate ourselves from that situation, had the organised, obedient German drivers in apoplexy. We got the same dirty looks when illegally camped in German state forests. However organised that race may be, there is always someone who leaves a gate unlocked, and a convict doesn't need any more encouragement to avail oneself of the facilities. Beautiful setting, no other campers, just a few locals taking their dogs for a walk and glaring at these infidels breaking the law.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    We got the same dirty looks when illegally camped in German state forests. However organised that race may be, there is always someone who leaves a gate unlocked, and a convict doesn't need any more encouragement to avail oneself of the facilities. Beautiful setting, no other campers, just a few locals taking their dogs for a walk and glaring at these infidels breaking the law.

John
    And now they're sending their children here to drive old Toyota Taragos and camp illegally all over Australia and New Zealand. In NZ it seems like there's not a patch of bush anywhere, beside a main tourist route, which isn't full of toilet paper and human waste.
    hypermiler likes this.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

JBN

One should burn the toilet paper and bury the poo. I wouldn't put all the blame onto the tourists as Aussies are just as bad in our outback. All overseas visitors and home grown Aussies have this explained to them very strongly when participating in Raids.

John

One should burn the toilet paper and bury the poo. I wouldn't put all the blame onto the tourists as Aussies are just as bad in our outback. All overseas visitors and home grown Aussies have this explained to them very strongly when participating in Raids.

John
    To be fair, I haven't noticed a poo problem in Australia, but in NZ it is beyond a joke and it is most often tourists, mostly European and under 25, although truckies also probably play a part. The Chinese, the Americans and older tourists seem to mostly stay in paid accommodation.

This brings up the point of how lucky Australia is to have so much area. I go out on all these great driving roads around much of the eastern high country and there is almost zero traffic. The same kind of roads in NZ are often lines of campers and 4wds.
    Last edited by davemcbean; 8th August 2017 at 05:26 AM.
    calgooley likes this.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Travellers could always use this: Toilet Map | Toilet Map
    It's another lovely day! Again!

JBN

I usually find that driving the 2CV long distances requires fuel. Every petrol station has a toilet. Most sell coffee. I make use of all amenities.

Once one gets off the beaten track, toilet paper litters parts of our bush. You dig a hole, have a crap and fill the hole with dirt. Before you fill the hole, burn the toilet paper so it doesn't litter the bush. After you leave, some wild animal will dig up the hole and inspect/digest the contents. Hence, burn the toilet paper.

John

1000+ Posts

Rosevale to Legana in Tasmania. 12 km - of which 6 have operated as one of Targa Tasmania's Special Stages on & off over the years.

There are no doubt better stretches of road (by reference to most criteria endorsed by the brisk road driver) but its salience for me is that is the road most frequently traveled by me & I have been fanging it for 30 years in two toys (4CV & Moke) & 20 years in another (R8).*

Accordingly, I know every surface change, sight-line, camber variation, radius change & whatnot very well & the reaction of each toy to those variations.

Thus it is the piece of road upon which I can most confidently "stretch the envelope" of fanging. There is a lot to be said for familiarity with a road (as well as vehicle behaviour) when fanging. I endorse Col's citing of the Frankford Highlway but greater familiarity is a powerful plus for me for my choice.

[* I have been fanging this road for a mere 5.5 years in my 4th toy, the Djet. However the Djet is so benignly & predictably tossable & retrievable that it was near immediately at the same level of vehicle-behaviour confidence as the others. It is certainly my "toy of choice" on any less familiar road.]

I have only been "pinged" once by the cops on this road (90 kph in an 80kph section at the Legana end). Nice young cop who decided on a warning after some conversation. We discussed the joys of fanging on that road (a bit further down) & he observed that, although the law stipulated a 100 maximum, it didn't say that you couldn't do that around the corners.

YMMV Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 10th August 2017 at 10:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Outback conveniences

That is pretty slack - how hard can it be to clean up?

They should be thankful that they're not bushwalkers - the ethic in many areas now is that one carries a "poo tube" which is a length of PVC pipe into which one shovels the result of one's efforts and carries it out.

Became necessary for much the same reason - sites becoming unliveable and associated environmental damage

Andrew

John

Fellow Frogger!

Agree about the boredom factor at times and one certainly can't admire the view at 240k if one wants to live, but they are very efficient ways of getting around ( with a little attention to peak hours ) and also good to practice the skills and anticipation needed when going fast.

Agree also that some of the scenic routes are amazing, although crowded on good weekends, especially with the motorcycling fraternity

They do like their rules! They even obey them

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post

Difference is that their drivers are competent and well trained and most of ours aren't. They will also obey the rules when necessary ( e.g. slow down when wet or vis bad )
    Hi,
    I would like to point out that when you look at road deaths, as a well studied number, Australia fares no worse than Germany and is actually right in line with most of Europe. So it is hard to find numbers which objectively support the idea that Australian's are less competent than anyone else. I daresay Germans get out of your way in the fast lane a bit more readily, but as we don't have that sort of high speed traffic in Oz, you can't really know what Aussies would do if we did.

Regards,
    John
    Kim Luck likes this.

JBN

Daniel Ricciardo is a fairly good fast Aussie driver. Mark Webber was not only a fast Aussie driver but a great stuntsman at high speed, something not even the Germans can claim.

John
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Tadpole

One of my favourites in Tasmania is Hellyer Gorge, from Yolla to the Ridgley Hwy intersection.

48.7km

Character of the road ranges from open and flowing to tight and twisty as you descend down into the gorge and climb out again. Great piece of road that is a favourite amongst Targa competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean View Post
    Khancoban to Thredbo, NSW

100km approx

Fantastic flowing bends and great scenery.
    Good surface and good safety barriers.
    One of the best drives anywhere.
    And try to include Cabramurra whilst you are there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Tadpole

Hellyer Gorge is the best for me too. Like how diverse it is and just enjoyable. I had to ride it to and forth a couple of days running and it was really good, I thought it would drive me mad but it was just the other way round

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information