• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By halfamill

Thread: Takata Airbags - What does PSA use?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Takata Airbags - What does PSA use?

Ref: Honda offers condolences for vehicle with defective airbag linked to fatal crash - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I believe the airbags used in PSA products come from Sweden and are not the Takata variety which has resulted in the tragic death of the Sydney person last week, and other deaths overseas.

Advertisement

Another question is how can these cars maintain a EURO or Australian NCAP rating with defective airbags that explode and kill the driver or passenger???

It would seem they are attempting to deal with the issue that is not of their making(see link). My daughters older Honda was fixed via the recall program. She is not the original owner, but Honda still managed to find her to get it fixed. My guess is it may not always be easy to chase up the cars, particularly if cars move interstate/change rego etc.

https://www.honda.com.au/my-honda/se...FVgGKgodueEDfg
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Peugeot use autoliv airbags on all psa cars ( not Mitsubishi and Toyota )
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfamill View Post

Another question is how can these cars maintain a EURO or Australian NCAP rating with defective airbags that explode and kill the driver or passenger???
    I would reckon the answer is that rating process doesnt have any way of including risks like that. It measures crash test data and the existence of various safety features. And probably fair enough to assume that owners do actually have the airbags changed under the replacement thing.

Regards
    John

If you've followed the saga, the issue of shrapnel being sent through the cabin manifests itself on "mature" cars, not new ones being tested for NCAP/ANCAP and as yet, I've not read that Takata really knows why the issue manifests itself.

For a while, high humidity was blamed, but even that is not certain anymore.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

No froggies on this official list

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/new...lian-consumers

I am sure that in times like this the various state authorities would cooperate with vehicle manufacturers to provide vital information to identify affected cars and their current owner. From that the manufacturers would be able to identify the cars already rectified and then only contact the current owner of those not rectified.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Peugeot use autoliv airbags on all psa cars ( not Mitsubishi and Toyota )
    Ref: https://www.autoliv.com/ProductsAndI...s/default.aspx

Thanks for the info, I have a 307 and just wanted to validate the supplier. Originally, a couple of years ago I noticed a Swedish reference on a photo of a Peugeot airbag (on Ebay) but was unsure if this was a sole supplier for PSA. I guess Renault may also use the European supplier? The older ammonium nitrate based wafers were suspected to become unstable with ingress of moisture but this may now be untrue. Takata originally was very slow to act and the auto industry still seems to be just maintaining corporate image and waiting for the issue to go away with the attrition of older cars. Asian cars usually only have a design life of seven to ten years so most of the earlier airbags should be scrap by now.

If in doubt, disconnect and then DIY, easy

Takata Airbags - What does PSA use?-bag.jpg

1000+ Posts

If you want to see the incredible growth of Autoliv, snapping up others from everywhere, and it's movement of facilities to lower cost countries, see Autoliv, Inc. - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Autoliv, Inc.

The NY Times has an account of the affair, with Autoliv input, at https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/27/b...ll-crisis.html

Takata Airbags - What does PSA use?-airbag-1.jpgTakata Airbags - What does PSA use?-airbag-2.jpg
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

On many occasions and much to my distress, I have had windbags in my car.
    But as a safety feature they failed.
    After half an hour in a car with a windbag one has a urge to drive into a brick wall at great speed just so the noise would stop.

But to the topic at hand, Takata have gone bankrupt now haven't they?
    Good luck with getting any airbags replaced.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Wiped out by the cost of this mess. The residue of the business was sold to Ningbo Joyson, a Chinese company.

Fellow Frogger!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ir-bag-recalls

That is a real problem if your car was fitted with these Takata Corp airbags. The good news is PSA is a safe drive and all new manufactured cars from now on should safe also. My daughters Toyota Yaris was only changed a few weeks ago, but did Toyota use existing spares stock or new approved airbags?
    Last edited by halfamill; 25th July 2017 at 09:25 AM.

Administrator

It's a tragic scenario for the drivers and passengers involved, but it really is a nightmare scenario for the manufacturer as it appears to be a rather hard to replicate design problem.

The big problem is that it took 10+ years for the problem to reveal itself. Making it even worse is that it's not a basic fatigue issue but instead appears to need the help of certain atmospheric/climatic conditions of high temperature and humidity.

To my knowledge, all the cars that suffered uncontained shrapnel discharge were well out of the vehicle manufacturers warranty too.

When your business centers around one component set and you have to remanufacture millions of those components at your cost, it was always going to send the company broke...
    Last edited by mistareno; 25th July 2017 at 09:25 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Ref: http://www.iqs.com/what-went-wrong-at-takata/
    Takata used ammonium nitrate wafers in the airbag gas generator. Ammonium nitrate is used as a fertilizer in huge volumes and can be used as a very cheap and effective explosive when a fuel is added usually diesel when used in clearing of farms and mining. However, it's long term storage in a pyrotechnic device is questionable and I believe they simply used this very gas generator fuel because it was very cheap as compared to a more stable substance. The automotive engineers at the manufacturers would have carried out a certification and approval process before this product was introduced to the vehicle production line, so they should still be held responsible. Takata's first event recorded was 2003, by 2007 they were containing the issue/covering up.

P.S. French cars will become more desirable on the new and used car market! Maybe values will increase?
    Last edited by halfamill; 26th July 2017 at 02:33 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Renault owns Nissan. I bet the latter has Takata airbags...

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Yes works Nissan Navara that I have driven since new, had its airbags replaced two weeks ago. My daughter's Mazda 2 is next in two months as there is a shortage of new updated airbags at the moment

NT Reno

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Renault owns Nissan. I bet the latter has Takata airbags...

Dave
    These days, Mitsubishi is also included in the Renault/Nissan behemoth. They also have lots of Takata bags.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information