lexia cable - what is it for?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: lexia cable - what is it for?

Default lexia cable - what is it for?

When I bought my Lexia3 à la Chinoise it came with all the cables I need. In addition there is a cable set with the OBD2 plug at one end and two cables attached. One breaks out to two large crocodile clips like battery charger clips and the other cable has a plug with two flat pins.
    What is it for?

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Great question.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

1000+ Posts

It's a memory saver. You can preserve the BSI settings with the battery removed by applying 12v to an OBD pin. (16 is battery power). Obviously connect the second source before removing.

It also infrequently can work the other way, for small loads like instrumentation, though there may be a diode inserted.
    Last edited by seasink; 21st July 2017 at 02:39 PM.

It also infrequently can work the other way, for small loads like instrumentation, though there may be a diode inserted.
    Where does the 12v+ come from?, not from the computer usb or serial port that is for sure.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

There is a 12v OBD pin, connected to the computer power source. Normally the source is from the car battery, but either way will keep the computer alive.

The Lexia/Diagbox is converting an asynchronous signal, a bit over 10 kbits/s if my memory is correct. It isn't a world away from serial RS-232 on a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    There is a 12v OBD pin, connected to the computer power source. Normally the source is from the car battery, but either way will keep the computer alive.

The Lexia/Diagbox is converting an asynchronous signal, a bit over 10 kbits/s if my memory is correct. It isn't a world away from serial RS-232 on a computer.
    Sure, But how does the lexia device connect to the Pc ?

And get the power the "for small loads like instrumentation" which presumably back feeds the Obd port?

The Pc connection is likely either serial (no power available) or Usb (5v at a few hundred mA), There is no 12v available from either USB or serial ports.

Unless computers have recently developed custom ports for interfacing "lexia" devices.

Fellow Frogger!

The way I understand it, the extra cable being spoken of is to retain the BSI and or ECU settings in volatile memory whilst the main car battery is disconnected. It's simply a 12v supply, connected via the OBD port. In this case the 12V will be supplied by an auxiliary battery connected by croc clips.

Alternatively, the cable could be used to supply an instrument. In this case the 12V comes from the car, which is in fully (mostly) working order.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

1000+ Posts

There's a mix-up here. I'm talking about Gerry's mystery cable. There isn't a computer attached.

The Lexia/Diagbox cable has a box of electronics on a card inserted into it to convert the OBD serial signal to USB at the computer.

Edit: Speaksgeek puts it better.

There's a mix-up here. I'm talking about Gerry's mystery cable. There isn't a computer attached.

The Lexia/Diagbox cable has a box of electronics on a card inserted into it to convert the OBD serial signal to USB at the computer.

OK , so I wrongly assumed the "mystery cable" was part of the Lexia cable.

I now see I am in error.

OK , so I wrongly assumed the "mystery cable" was part of the Lexia cable.

I now see I am in error.

Name:  s-l64.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  2.1 KB
    Here is a photo of the cable concerned. Nothing to do with the Lexia interface

1000+ Posts

When I put on my magnifying specs, I see a memory saver. People often use them with a 12v jump starter, or other battery.

No Lexia connection. If you want to verify it, put it on a battery, and see if pin 16 is +12v.

These may be of interest-
    http://pinoutguide.com/CarElectronics/peugeot_obd_ii_diag_pinout.shtml

http://pinoutguide.com/CarElectronic...2_pinout.shtml
    Last edited by seasink; 21st July 2017 at 08:10 PM.

When I put on my magnifying specs, I see a memory saver. People often use them with a 12v jump starter, or other battery.

No Lexia connection. If you want to verify it, put it on a battery, and see if pin 16 is +12v.

These may be of interest- Peugeot OBD II diagnostic connector pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com
    Citroen OBD-2 diagnostic pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com
    Thanks, that must be the logical answer but what is the 2 pin connector for? It is not connected to the +12

1000+ Posts

Neither of the pins goes to OBD2 battery or chassis ground? My guess would be to suit a solar battery charger (camping etc) to trickle charge via OBD.

I always assumed the two pin connector was for earlier cars (306, 405, 205, BX) that had an ECU diagnostic plug for the ECU and sometimes for the ABS - which was a two pin connector.

You could use PP2000 to interrogate the ECU.

This was how the previous "official" test tool - the TAD 4-99 - worked.
    Last edited by SLC206; 23rd July 2017 at 04:47 PM.
    hypermiler likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Yes, I can confirm it is for the early ECUs used in the BX, 306 and 405 cars that have the 2 pin green connector with K and L leads.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks for your help. I will consign it to the "will need it someday" shelf.

Thread Information