Photobucket clock of doom
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WLB

Thread: Photobucket clock of doom

WLB

Default Photobucket clock of doom

Get ready to start losing a lot of valuable info from threads, going back many years.
    I often wondered when this would happen. It was really only a matter of time.

Photobucket has announced new terms that will include no linking for free users.

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
    Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
    Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
    Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).

Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Advertisement

www.photobucket.com/terms

Aw shit, currently CCCV is using a free photobucket account to store and link to its member data base the necessary Vic Club Permit Scheme photos. Anybody got any suggestions as to whom we can shift these photos, still free and still with linking abilities? My first thought would be Google Photos, any other options?
    Dave
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Dropbox??
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

In the past I used Pbase.com to store and share photos. Not free but no advertisement and pretty cheap for US$60/3 years, up to 1GB space. I used them for over 10 years with no complaint.

For me 1 GB is a lot of storage space because I reduced my photos to 1.5 megapixel size, which still a decent size for screen viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
    Aw shit, currently CCCV is using a free photobucket account to store and link to its member data base the necessary Vic Club Permit Scheme photos. Anybody got any suggestions as to whom we can shift these photos, still free and still with linking abilities? My first thought would be Google Photos, any other options?
    Dave
    Dare I say it, Facebook? It claims it will always be free.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Dropbox??
    probably be next, they get more 'n more corporate all the time. They have limited the number of shared folders and their links don't seem to be permanent, some old links here have failed but the files are still there. Their local application doesn't work with XP anymore, yeah, I know, but it still exists in the real world.

Shifted my allegiance to Sync.com, only use DB for convenience with static files as I have the space.

cheers,
    Bob

WLB

If anyone has lost photos from their posts, and can't replace them, feel free to use this one instead.

Photobucket clock of doom-photobucket-1.jpg
    SilverGTi_6 and baldrick56 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
    Dave
    I have been using Google Photos for about a year now. Mixed feelings.
    Pros:
    It seems to be a good way to back up all my photos, does it automatically, just have it set to upload anything in my "Pictures" folder.
    Its free and unlimited up to a certain resolution (16mp) which is above my 14mp camera pics, so unlimited for me.
    Easy to create albums, and I have linked them in various forums, and to family. etc.
    Cons:
    It seems to have no dashboard on my desktop, only very simple menu on the pop-up from the bottom of my screen. It is very basic and doesn't allow for many options to use.
    I recently came back from a long holiday with over 4000 digital photos, I had to leave the desktop on for a few days to upload the photos, and I have used about 80gb of my monthly 100gb allowance so far. This may also be due to the fact I was backing up to the Microsoft Cloud when travelling, from a netbook, and these have also downloaded into my desktop. All understandable, but when you have a 3mbps broadband connection, it is seriously slow to do anything else. I am able to quit or pause GPhotos but its always there.
    It's just that I don't seem to have any control over it.
    It saves in date/time order, I don't think this can be altered. IE, I have my photos well organised in folders by date and subject, but GPhotos backs up as a straight date order, which isn't totally satisfactory.

However, at the moment I am happy with it as a good backup mechanism, with ability to make simple albums and link them to family & friends, at no cost.

BTW, I firstly used Webshots photo hosting, that closed down, then Photobucket, now becoming a more commercial enterprise. I don't mind paying my way, but for small family useage, they want more than I am prepared to pay.
    Interesting though, I have checked my Photobucket albums, they are still there, with no warnings across them. I wonder if I activated a link to them from an external source, would it flag a "pay now" prompt??

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)
    2003 BA wagon LPG (For Sale)

Thread Information