Locking wheel nut/bolt key supplier !
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By pug206gti

Thread: Locking wheel nut/bolt key supplier !

1000+ Posts

Default Locking wheel nut/bolt key supplier !

Hi
    I purchased a "new" second hand Renault Captur recently. Very pleased with it but on getting it home and giving it the check over I discovered the "key"for the locking nut/screws fitted to the standard mag wheels was missing.

As it was a deceased estate I could not ask the owner and the wife/family had no knowledge of it. Referred me to the dealer etc. No joy there as they do not keep records of the key code "and would have handed it to the owner with instructions" etc etc. As it turns out the design is quite effective and hard to get any tool on. Tire shops said no !

Advertisement

So after looking on the net I ordered a tool from this place; Locking Wheel Nuts UK. They guarantee to supply a correct tool for any car with information on the vehicle and photos of the bolt/nut head with a mobile phone, as per instructions. Also identity and rego papers must be supplied too.

It arrived today, fits OK. Cheaper than the dealer quoted me for a new set (which I pointed out did not solve the problem?) Took two weeks from my first contact. Might be useful for others who buy any car which has locking nut/bolts.

I am now in two minds about leaving the locking nuts on there. I have one key which I will put in the boot NOW with the tools. But they are always a PITA and I might just swing past a wrecker one day and get some standard bolts and throw the locking ones away.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi

I am now in two minds about leaving the locking nuts on there. I have one key which I will put in the boot NOW with the tools. But they are always a PITA and I might just swing past a wrecker one day and get some standard bolts and throw the locking ones away.
    Jaahn
    Good info for those in need Jaahn. I think consensus here agrees with your closing, ditch the locking nuts they can be troublesome especially with age, ditch and replace!

On a related note, just had a couple of keys cut for the C5. Bought second hand and the remotes were well worn but the car was supplied with replacements (no transponders). I got a quote from a locksmith to cut the key blanks and was staggered with $190.00 each, cut only!!! I took the originals and two new fobs to the local shopping centre locksmith who cut both blanks for $60.00 - swapped the transponders into the new fobs all while I waited. Does pay to shop around. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    jaahn and Wildebeest like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

Jaahn, leave a set of bricks and a flashlight nearby to make it easier for the next person removing your wheels.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Jaahn, leave a set of bricks and a flashlight nearby to make it easier for the next person removing your wheels.
    Stealing wheels is so yesterday, I think the lads have moved on to ATMs (recent hoist $250K). . .
    Manhunt underway for Brisbane ATM thief who stole more than $250k - 9news.com.au

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Good info for those in need Jaahn. I think consensus here agrees with your closing, ditch the locking nuts they can be troublesome especially with age, ditch and replace!

Cheers
    Chris
    G'day,
    there are numerous threads, or maybe one long one, on the Peugeot forum about this subject, and the overall opinion is to ditch the locking nuts and use regular ones.
    Last edited by pug206gti; 4th July 2017 at 05:54 PM.
    UFO likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

UFO

Ditch the crap nuts and put normal ones on.

I agree, also. You hear some painful stories about chaps who have had cars towed to workshops to have these buggers removed, after the tool was misplaced.

I've always removed the locking wheel nuts asap.

Have read on the Alfa forums that wheel thieves just hammer on a slightly smaller socket. 8-((

So no need for special keyed tool.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I've always removed the locking wheel nuts asap.
    Have read on the Alfa forums that wheel thieves just hammer on a slightly smaller socket. 8-((
    So no need for special keyed tool.
    Hi Dave
    Actually the design of the locking 'nut' is really good. It has a cover over the head which stops you getting a socket over the head. Only a very thin walled socket will fit. That will not stop a determined thief of course but it did stop me using any of the "easy-off" type sockets that you can buy and that the tire shops have for their use.
    Perhaps Alfa's have an inferior type
    Jaahn

Locking wheel nut/bolt key supplier !-20170606_144609.jpg

Thanks for the update Jaahn.

Things were different in the 90's, which is when my Alfa (75) dates from.

... Not taking the obvious bait,

IMO both marques were greatest when they were rear wheel drive.
    And despite being entirely different are the greatest joy to drive.

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=pug206gti;1523509]G'day,
    there are numerous threads, ......QUOTE]

so to speak :-)

Thread Information