car storage
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: car storage

Fellow Frogger!

Default car storage

A little while ago, I noticed a post about storing a motorcar for several months. Can't find that post now, but would like the "experts" opinion.
    My daughter and son-in-law have a Peugeot 505 gti, which is in general good condition. They are leaving the country and won't be back till sometime December. They plan to park the car on our property with a car-pyjama over it and recover it in December.
    Thanks for your considered opinions.
    Wouter

Advertisement

If its only until December, a fresh oil change (old oil is a bit acidic and can in extreme situations eat away white metal bearing shells), fresh coolant, disconnect the battery, soak the interior in Armour All and keep the sun and weather off it.
    That should be fine like that. Maybe move it half a foot backwards and forwards every few weeks to keep the weight from sitting on one part of the tyres, but that may be overkill.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by wouter
    They plan to park the car on our property with a car-pyjama over it...

Wouter

Are car pyjamas the way to go? I heard they make cars sweat and promote rust. I think they need lots of airflow around them so I'd park it under a tarp slung between two trees or something - just to keep the sun, rain and birdpoop off.

Haakon's right but I'd also change the brake fluid. And I'd put some metho in the fuel tank to absorb condensation. Plus I'd turn the motor occasionally. If they have an opening for a crank handle like the 404's and GS's that makes life easier.

Search seems pretty hopeless... no options to narrow the search down... I think it would be good to go to the previous thread.

I also think it's a good idea to keep the car from getting too hot... plastics don't like heat, and the car cover will surely help keep heat in?

Fellow Frogger!

when storing a car for a long time we always sit it on blocks to preserve the tyres and also make sure u dont leave the handbrake on as it can stick. Car covers kill your paint! the tarp between 2 trees idea sounds much better!
    63' 403 Sedan, Cream (OMY-403)
    63' 403 Sedan, Blue

WLB

Wouter,

I'd also Baygon around the base of the tyres every now and then. Ants nesting in a car can make a hell of a mess (if not ruin components) if they take a fancy to it.

If it was to be for a longer period, check the Penrite range of products for vehicle lay up.
    (Don't forget to take the carton of milk out of the glovebox.

Warwick.

Supercheap have a colapsable car port thingy (sorry not very technical I know) but it is essetially a tent like car port structure that can frequently be picked up on special for $150.00, about the same price as a decent car cover.

For storing a car under cover on a property (near or under the protection of a large tree) they work a treat... all you need to do is retention the ropes holding the uprights every now and then and obviously keep an eye out for big winds...

I have found this much better than car covers.... which do sweat and can cause all sorts of probblems to older paint finishes.

When storing cars for six months I leave the battery hooked up, definitly put it on blocks, attach either a solar panel battery charger or a trickle charger to the battery and start it every other week and let it run for half an hour...as well as all the other recomendations... which will avoid costly repairs when the time comes to use it again...

I reckon that if it's only for six months it's best to run the car once a week. Preferably drive it far enough to get a decent charge back in the battery but actually driving it like that helps to get everything circulating again. I definitely agree with the tent rather than car cover advice. Car covers not only sweat because of lack of circulation but when it is windy the dust blows in and the cover moves thus acting like sandpaper. Personally I don't like Armour All but it is a good idea to treat vinyl or leather if the car will be sitting outside (even under a tent), I'd use something from the Meguiar's range though. I find that these soak in and 'feed' the vinyl whereas AA just sits on top and goes shiny.

For longer than six months (say a few years) or if you really can't drive it then certainly put it on blocks and follow the advice given elsewhere on this thread.
    Last edited by yawood; 23rd April 2004 at 03:41 PM.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

If its parked out of the weather, I would only bother starting it up every 2 months at the most and letting it idle for 10 minutes - any more is overkill. I bought a car that was parked for 5 years without been prepared and parked in the weather (was covered in moss!) , and it started and ran fine and is really no worse for the lay up.

Leaving the handbrake off is a good point too.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I'd say it would be best to keep it under cover and off damp ground, otherwise try and use it regularly.

Running/idling the car for short periods of time won't evaporate the water vapour in the exhaust and motor, likely causing premature corrosion of the exhaust system. Leaving the car on damp ground will cause corrosion of the brake discs, and if the air is damp, or possibly the water vapour from running it again, could cause the valves to stick. Also the clutch could stick (if it is a manual) from corrosion.

If the car isn't to be run regularly, best that it is kept in a damp free area on hard stand, all the fluids replaced with new, and the petrol tank filled full to prevent condensation in the tank, with the weight taken off the tyres.

1000+ Posts

Default storing a car

Hi, if you use silicon brake fluid you don't have a problem with the brakes. I found BelRay good. Used it in R19's
    JoBo

Thread Information