ridiculous Peugeot engineering (why did they do it like that thread)
  • Register
  • Help

Icon11 ridiculous Peugeot engineering (why did they do it like that thread)

After spending an afternoon and one very cold night in the shed replacing a burnt out thermo fan in my 205 GTI S3 I have decided to cut my losses and buy an MX 5.
    I would be very interested to hear if anyone else out there in Peugeot land has similar stories of what they thought would be an easy job (rationally,logically) turning in to a Peugeot nightmare.

Bumber and front skirt removal. Careful! The plastic wheel arches are an integral part of this too.
    Bit of metal covering the radiator removal.
    Plastic grill removal.
    Stupid little sprung square nuts that fit in sqaurish holes in the body removal.
    Two dog leg shaped metal bits that hold the entire cooling system including A/C radiator to the plastic housing removal.
    Entire removal of plastic twin fan housing.
    Don't bother trying to find where the fan electrics plug ends up, this requires engine removal. Just cut the wires.
    tie A/C radiator to something to stop it from hitting the floor or damaging pipes.
    Regular radiator should stay roughly where it should be due to heavy hoses stopping it from hitting floor.
    Hang twin thermo housing out to one side from the electric cables after jostling with it for an hour or so to remove it and then pry off stupid little crap clips that hold the debri covers on.
    Don't get excited, this will not allow you to remove the electric fans. Turn whole thing over to do this.
    Finally replace or fix what you have to and try to remember where all those cheap bits of rubber went before putting back together.
    I suggest Zoloft or Aropax , 1 or 2 tabs washed down with a glass of whisky before attempting this.

Advertisement

Seriously, this is truly ridiculous. I love my quirky little car and smile everytime I walk up to him before going for a spin and smile even more when driving. But man, those little MX5's look like a heap of fun too.

Pepe.
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

I think I had to remove the inlet manifold to get the starter motor off the 205. Can't remember exactly, but I wasn't happy about something while I was doing it.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    I think I had to remove the inlet manifold to get the starter motor off the 205. Can't remember exactly, but I wasn't happy about something while I was doing it.
    And you have to do similar in a BX TRi (at least). Although pesky, I didn't find it all that difficult to do. The key was to label EVERY cable and pipe that was disconnected.

Remember too that we are talking about cars that have now outlived their expected life time. They were in essence designed to a price and ease of factory construction rather than ease of repair for something that was expected to last the life of the car.

(UFO now hiding in corner with fireproof suit on expecting flaming)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Pepe,

You my friend have just experienced the down side to the awesome 205. To be a true 205 owner you must pamper it and also be willing to care for it when its unwell. I hope you will reconsider your idea to buy a mx5. If you don't i'm sure someone will buy it or you will change your mind and sell the mx5. And yes you can get the starter out from below but its easier sometimes to take the manifold off. And ufo as for your comments are you sure you own a citroen??

Cheers nick

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe
    ...But man, those little MX5's look like a heap of fun too.

Pepe.
    And they are. I love Pugs but I adored my MX-5 too!
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

this should have been on the peugeot forum i think, not general...... Can it be moved...

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    this should have been on the peugeot forum i think, not general...... Can it be moved...
    Ah! Citroens and Renaults don't have mechanical idiosyncracies - that's good to know.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe
    But man, those little MX5's look like a heap of fun too.
    I've never driven a 205 gti, but those little mx5's are definitely a heap of fun!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by yawood
    Ah! Citroens and Renaults don't have mechanical idiosyncracies - that's good to know.
    That's correct. Peugeots have idiosynchracies while Citroen and Renault are "quirky".

(oops, I used the Q word - bad UFO )
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yes they are, just like the little first make BMW Z3's
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Ive worked on both the 205 and the 405...
    had to have the headers welded up in one MI16, now that was a bitch, lots oh oh f$cks and damn [email protected] and found it easier to cut the exhaust for more room, replaced a clutch on the same MI16 again the same story, takes a bit more time but extremely worth it...
    Had to do a road side repair on an alternator for my current MI16, you wanna know what a bitch of a job is try hooking up some wire from the starter motor to the alternator, where it is just like 1 cm to short. The alternator couldnt even be taken out from underneath the inlet manifold, lucky i had an amp wire i could use dodgied that up, all in the rain on the side of the road, still I found it worth it...
    On the 205 I've done suspension work, some other misc. work, exhaust manifold removal, and I've found that it is actually a pretty simple car to work on compared to the 405....
    They might be a bit tight fitting, and put together a lil bit differently to others cars, and I might have vowed on numerous occasions to get rid of them and not buy another one, but you must admit their is something about them that nippon cant replicate....
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Tadpole

Icon9

I am in the final stages of replacing the heater core in my S3 205, man oh man, what a bitch of a job that was.
    I am praying there are no dash rattles when it is finally back together.
    Matt M

However, this must be balanced with the view that changing or fixing the internal/heater fan is easier in a 205 than probably any other car.

Warwick - yep - I've done that one too! and don't you just love S3's with power steering and Air con to work on.......
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by RS2000
    I am in the final stages of replacing the heater core in my S3 205, man oh man, what a bitch of a job that was.
    I am praying there are no dash rattles when it is finally back together.
    The memories come flooding back - yep, did that one too! I think quite a bit of silicon spray on the plastic 'joints' made sure I didn't have any rattles. Check the ventilation fan while the dash is apart - mine actually burnt out - very unpleasant smell. I ended up finding a set of bushes for it and put it back together - cost all of $9 bucks to fix.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

Bach in the seventies - John Ould motors used to quote an engine removal on a Renno 16 - then you also picked up the bill for the starter - exhaust off was the easy way!
    Whenever I see this type of thread I remember an old mate of mine who wasn't fussed about Jag's - he reckoned that they built them by placing a heater radiator that was prone to failure on a box then building the car around it.
    Back when cars were made of metal the biggest problem was stripping a thread or the skin off your knuckles - now with so much plastic everywhere and bits designed for robotic fitting you plastic spanners(ie. bendable) to have any chance of doing any real work under the hood.
    Ron
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

504's seem to be easy to pull apart. Brakes and suspension come off fairly easily.

Putting back together is more of a challange

Pretty straight forward. The bent front sway bar is defiently odd

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

I don't mind working on the 205 it's washing my hands for half an hour afterwards to get the black shit off is what kills me.

Icon10

Cool. You come and fix my car for free and I will wash your hands afterwards.

Deal?
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

Anything to keep you in the 205. It's better than having you drive around in a chicks car.

P.S. R u coming on the 205 drive?

Hey Luca,

yeah the MX5 did have a bit of a hairdressers appeal originally but with a turbo I think it has shrugged off that image.

It'd be cool to go for a drive with a bunch of 205's, moving house this weekend so might not make this one.

I get up to the Upper Yarra Valley fairly often for a good drive on twisty roads with no police around. If we could organise trip up there I'd be in. Lunch in Warburton maybe.

If anyones interested?

cheers,

Pepe the turbo just means the hairdresser will be there on time dude... it's a girls car.

Check out: 205 drive

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Pepe the turbo just means the hairdresser will be there on time dude... it's a girls car.
    A 'chick mobile' that's what some of my V8 owning work colleagues call my gti6. Well, it does have a cute arse.... and that's about all they'll see of it if they try and keep up around the twisties.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Obviously they have no class.

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Them there fighten words boy

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Thread Information