Nasty noise from stereo when turning car off
  • Register
  • Help

Default Nasty noise from stereo when turning car off

Hey all, was wondering if anyone would know why my stereo (original Philips thing in the R25) makes an almighty CRACK! when I shut the ignition off. Sounds like its going to tear the speaker cones apart and cannot be good for it. The Kenwwod CD player I had in there didnt suffer this, which tends to point the finger at the unit itself.

Advertisement

But, if I turn the key slowly in the barrel, it lessens the noise generated, which tends to tell me the ignition switch is causing some sort of power spike. Any ideas of how to fix, apart from replacing the barel?

I haven't heard our Philips unit do that as yet, but if you reckon your previous unit didn't have a problem, then I would start inside the Philips checking for leaking electrolytic caps or something similar. There might be some suppression caps inside that aren't doing their thing, that is if the Philips has some sort of noise suppression stuff inside. Don't really know...

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

farmerdave

It is likely to be a dried up or faulty supressor capacitor in the unit. On my R25, I have replaced a couple of caps in the speaker crossovers as they were dried up and leaking. Working tweeters!.
    It is likely that the supressors will be in poor condition. A "hack" which may work is to add an additional capacitor between the radio power feed and ground (which is probably what is done inside the radio case) to ground out any spikes or surges from the ignition etc. It can't do any harm.

Farmerdave

thanks guys. How tricky is it to do and what should I be looking for when I open the case up? I have access to a computer whiz in the house so I can con him into doing the fiddly bits.

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    thanks guys. How tricky is it to do and what should I be looking for when I open the case up? I have access to a computer whiz in the house so I can con him into doing the fiddly bits.
    Opening the case up it isn't required and you run some risk of damaging something.
    If you do open the case, the offending item is likely to be a cylindrical aluminium thing, covered in plastic with some markings in uF on it. It could be leaking goo/powder or have swollen up. Also if you take the front off the case, have a look at the blanked out "traffic information station" switch. Big Brother is changing your channel! .

The hack: The capacitor goes between the ground terminal on the body and the +ve power feed to the radio. Use a electrolytic cap, and watch the polarity. Relatively simple.

Farmerdave

thanks guys. I have to open it up anyway to replace the tape deck belts, and so I will need to visit a stereo fixit shop to source new belts anyway - I will get them to look at it

Its worth fixing as it is quite a good unit for its age, with a good sound and quite a lot of it (and very retro chic with the graphic equaliser ) Its a better OE stereo then what you get in a lot of new cars. All it needs is a CD stacker with an FM modulator and some better speaker (although the original factory ones are pretty good) and I will be happy.
    Last edited by Haakon; 6th April 2004 at 03:43 PM.

Thread Information