A money saving clue for DIYers
  • Register
  • Help

Default A money saving clue for DIYers

I was in our local SuperCheap store last night picking up a few bits & I happened to pick up the Easter Sale brochure (ends 9/04/04) & spotted an engine hoist. I rang a local tools suppply joint who had an identical one sitting out front..."On special for $395 trade price" I am told.
    SuperCheap's price $249, so I rang all the nearby stores (within 100 klms) only to find they were all given 2 each but all sold out within a couple of days.
    Have ordered one from Brisbane & should have it in about a fortnight as apparently they have 200 on back order.
    It seems that in regional stores they went within a day or two but not in Metropolitan areas so if you're near a City type store, it's worth asking the question.
    Ask yourself why do you need one? Well, you don't have to be into taking engines out of cars as these things are a must when doing a cambelt on a BX16V/Mi16 engine, moving a dead car or shifting something heavy as they also have wheels & will carry about 1250kgs.
    One of my sons reckoned he didn't need one when he did a cambelt on his BX16V only to find that with a Jack the engine fell backwards & stuffed a couple of heater pipes & the cost to replace? Approx $250 for parts plus all the hassle of removing the dash which kinda makes 'em a good investment.

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I was in our local SuperCheap store last night picking up a few bits & I happened to pick up the Easter Sale brochure (ends 9/04/04) & spotted an engine hoist. I rang a local tools suppply joint who had an identical one sitting out front..."On special for $395 trade price" I am told.
    SuperCheap's price $249, so I rang all the nearby stores (within 100 klms) only to find they were all given 2 each but all sold out within a couple of days.
    Have ordered one from Brisbane & should have it in about a fortnight as apparently they have 200 on back order.
    It seems that in regional stores they went within a day or two but not in Metropolitan areas so if you're near a City type store, it's worth asking the question.
    Ask yourself why do you need one? Well, you don't have to be into taking engines out of cars as these things are a must when doing a cambelt on a BX16V/Mi16 engine, moving a dead car or shifting something heavy as they also have wheels & will carry about 1250kgs.
    One of my sons reckoned he didn't need one when he did a cambelt on his BX16V only to find that with a Jack the engine fell backwards & stuffed a couple of heater pipes & the cost to replace? Approx $250 for parts plus all the hassle of removing the dash which kinda makes 'em a good investment.

Alan S
    Certainly sounds like a good buy. If i had a few mates who were into cars would be a good group buy option. How many times can more than one person need to remove an engine.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Shobbz,

If you read what I said, it is used for far more than taking engines out. Often there is need to lift heavy objects and often to shift or just simply lift them; I had a loan of one a couple of years back & I've never missed anything as much as this thing once it went back to its owner.

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Shobbz,

If you read what I said, it is used for far more than taking engines out. Often there is need to lift heavy objects and often to shift or just simply lift them; I had a loan of one a couple of years back & I've never missed anything as much as this thing once it went back to its owner.

Alan S
    Yep,

About 3years ago when I was pulling a CX donk out I decided I was NEVER doing this again without a crane.

So a couple of years back I bought a 2.5ton crane that the legs fold up on (the legs folding up is a MUST, they are bloody HUGE without the legs up vertically). It been very handy, you won't believe it, I personally haven't pulled a motor since buying it, but several people have used it (including me for supporting motors and moving 'em around). They are great as it's the sort of tool that only 1 person in the extended family needs (and everyone else borrows). Mine also has an engine stand attachment that you can lower the motor onto and rotate/move etc..

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yeah... if I had a shed I'd agree...

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, definetly useful, wish I had one when I had to lift a safe into the boot. Saw one last weekend outside the local auto store, would have bought it if I had the space and spare cash.

I have the luxury in our workshop of a 4 point car hoist, and a roof mounted sliding chain lift... Makes the littlest jobs so much simpler...

Nick

We have a half built engine crane in the shed. We hire one when we need it now, and they are sorely missed when the go back.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I have a very good chain block for lifting engines but you have to have something to hang it off (and you can't easily use it for simply lifting heavy things and wheeling them around). The trouble with the crane is that they take up sooo much room when they're not in use - even if the legs fold. Sounds like a great buy though. I bought a large metal cut-off saw from Super Cheap for less than $100. It was worth it for the one job I needed it for - now if only there was more metal that I needed to cut...
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

bah...

just flock some chain.. and throw it over the supports beems in your shed roof..

Then just make up a simple hoist with something just as heavy on the other end.. like 3 mates

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    bah...

just flock some chain.. and throw it over the supports beems in your shed roof..

Then just make up a simple hoist with something just as heavy on the other end.. like 3 mates
    Hee, hee,

I have my grandfathers block 'n' tackle down at my fathers. The bloody thing weights about 30kgs, so just getting it up to shed rafters is a bloody drama in itself.

Infact if you look in my fathers shed you'll find about 3 very bent rafters, one rental place I lived in I'd hooked up a CX donk to the block and tackle and after taking a little tension I decided I was almost certainly going to pull the shed down onto the car as apposed to lifting the motor up I ended up getting a couple of lenght of 4x2 and wedging them in either side of where I'd swung the block 'n' tackle from before I was game to lift the motor

The easiest way to decide which rental houses I've stayed at is to check there sheds for severly bent rafters and overspray

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hee, hee,

I have my grandfathers block 'n' tackle down at my fathers. The bloody thing weights about 30kgs, Shane L.
    Now that's what I'd call a GRANDfather!

Did he have bow legs??
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

ill be sure to check before signing any lease

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

There was an article in Practical Classics as few years ago on how to make an engine crane. I can't remember if it was a folding one but it worked out much cleaper than the bought one.
    If you're handy with a welder, that might be the way to go.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    There was an article in Practical Classics as few years ago on how to make an engine crane. I can't remember if it was a folding one but it worked out much cleaper than the bought one.

Ren
    I bought an engine crane 'cos nowadays there is NO way I build one for the price of a newie. Add up the high lift jack, the various HEAVY box sections and bracing and you'll be easily upto the price of a new crane in just parts...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

farmerdave

Y'all need a tractor with a hydraulic front end loader. Take the bucket off and lift away. Good for moving dead cars about too...

......Engine? what engine?......

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN

Ren

Ren,

Back then it may have been the case because I can remember missing one for $450 secondhand; probably better quality than the one I'm getting but mine folds up for storage and the main centre piece weighs in at 80 kgs so I really doubt that today this would be practical unless of course it was a special design for some reason.
    Farmerdave, I agree the carryall on the tractor is good gear but hey, I'm gunna be in enough trouble getting this thing into the lounge when I get the engine out of the car; geez, can you imagine the way she'd perform if I tried to take the bloody tractor in there??

Alan S

We have pulled a few motors with tractors. It works OK.

The Practical Classics crane is OK, but there is a weak point on it, and it uses a size of steel not available here. We started to make one, modifying the design to strengthen it, but it got half built and parked in the shed. I have a copy of the article if anyone wants it scanned, but it may be cheaper these days to just buy a crane.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information