Rally car setup cost?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rally car setup cost?

What would it cost to setup a frog, say a 205 gti, for club or state rally? No performance mods just the necessities.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Bluey, I don't know but last year I wanted to film a rally driver and most of guys I approached agreed to letting me video an entire 2 days(all stages) if I paid all costs involved for the one race. At that time the cost would have been like $3000 in Spain(national) of $5000 in England for one race and that included absolutely everything except initial purchase of the car, multiply that times 10 races or whatever. I broke my arm and had to cancel. Most of the Spanish guys used French cars or Seats, the British ones seemed to drive everything.

Its long been a pipedream of mine to build a Fuego rally car and go racing. I reckon I could build the car for maybe 10 grand for an amatuer entry (especially if I can con someone like Carrevelle to sponser me in the form of bits ) and from what I've been told a few grand for each major event (traveling, maintenance, entry fees etc)

I reckon I could easiely drop 50 grand for a years racing, so sponsers are key. Would be a hell of a lot of fun though!!!!
    Get a copy of the CAMS book that outlines what the car needs to conform to to be eligble, which will give you an idea of what you wil need to do.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    What would it cost to setup a frog, say a 205 gti, for club or state rally? No performance mods just the necessities.
    Give me a call on 03 9859 1412, the 205 is not the best way to go for rallying but would be great for autocross which requires virtually nothing in terms of preparation and would give you a taste of the sport.

Graham Wallis

Of course, I need to search out pricing myself but I know of pugs that have raced at Targa Tas and classic rallies and thought you fellas might know a rough figure. I've got the Victorian Rally Championship and Victorian Club Rally Series in mind. Don't need help in terms of preparation, I already work in a race team but thanks for the offer Graham, (I take it was an offer.)

Huw

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Of course, I need to search out pricing myself but I know of pugs that have raced at Targa Tas and classic rallies and thought you fellas might know a rough figure. I've got the Victorian Rally Championship and Victorian Club Rally Series in mind. Don't need help in terms of preparation, I already work in a race team but thanks for the offer Graham, (I take it was an offer.)

Huw
    The offer was to fill you in on what you need to be CAMS compliant both for the car and the crew. That is, basic preparation to enable you to enter the event.
    Graham Wallis

The bloke I got my 604 off was preparing a Fiat 600 for Targa Tasmania, and to help pay it off, I helped him to prepare it.
    He needed a helmet for driver and navigator ($500 each), harnesses ( $500 each), a rollbar (about $1,000 as he got a mate to weld it), and of course he rebuilt the engine to race it with, and overhauled everyting that was not perfect, and modified it a bit, but they were the major costs. Targa can tell you just what they need done, but it is not much. The entry fees are around $3,000 for Targa, and you would need food and accomodation, fuel, a full set of tyres, and a service crew with a stock of spares and tools.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information