Importing Cars
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Importing Cars

Tadpole

Default Importing Cars

Hi Everyone.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has imported a car from overseas (preferably UK or US) and can allude me to the pros, cons and pitfalls.

An outline of costs involved would be good too.
    Also any organisations that people know of in Australia that will import cars.

Cheers

REN21T

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by REN21T
    Hi Everyone.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has imported a car from overseas (preferably UK or US) and can allude me to the pros, cons and pitfalls.

Cheers

REN21T
    Hey Ren21T,
    See the thread below of one I'd posted earlier.
    Pros:
    *I now have a car that is rare in Australia, with loads of character. I do get enjoyment out of driving it around, it does turn heads
    *It's probable that it I ever want to sell it I'll recover costs.
    Cons:
    * I'm sure there are some but I haven't experienced any yet! Of course it will depend on what you bring out, it may end up costing more than it's worth, and of course spare parts availability could be an issue. Luckily with the 2cv there is a small but dedicated following who can get access to parts, info etc

Any more questions feel free to ask!

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...=6542#post6542

Tadpole

Thanks. It's good to know what price I would be looking at.
    But does anyone know of any companies in Australia that can source the car overseas for you?

Most of the stories on here are about people who found a car while they were overseas and bought it back. I'm trying to do the whole thing from Australia.

Any help in this department?

Cheers.

a lot of my friends (in the UK) have imported skylines and civics from japan and they got a pretty good deal i think!!!

my friend that imported the civic thou wrote it off last week - only a month after he got it!!

it was a lovely looking car as well!!! poor guy! at least hes ok!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by REN21T
    Hi Everyone.

Cheers

REN21T
    Hi Ren21,

While I didn't import my car the previous owner did. I got a good deal however so will the next owner.

You might want to check with your state transport department, each State enforces the Federal laws in it's own way.

Items that might need work;

* centre rear brake light
    * curved rear view mirrors
    * child seat anchors
    * tinted glass (too dark)

The other point to consider is that a private import registered in one state will not be recognised by other states (well SA anyway). So if the car goes interstate it may have to go through the whole process again.

Not sure that it's a way to make easy money, but you do get to own a great car.

regards
    sean

Thread Information