2 Hours to cnage a starter; 2 minutes to replace a wire...your pick!!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon2 2 Hours to cnage a starter; 2 minutes to replace a wire...your pick!!

A while back I fitted a new intake manifold gasket to the 16V. Whislst I had the plenum off, I commented on how easy it would be to change the starter motor. Upon replacing the plenum, it was noticed how the starter motor gave all the symptoms of a flat battery/crook solenoid so I resigned myself to having to either remove the plenum or the radiator to do the $%^&*( thing!!
    A few days ago, it wouldn't start a la' crook battery (which is new) but after fiddling it was noted it started. A few days later, repeat dose but this time with time on our hands, we put a multi meter on the system & bingo.....only about 9 volts getting to the starter solenoid. Fiddle with the wire & again, it goes as it should.
    After having a big whings about it, #1 son when he'd finished working on another car decided to do a total circuit check & found a 5 pin Wilson plug (white tupperware) under the battery with a yellow wire leading to it that had been replaced previously and had a connector fitted to it. On closer inspection it was found that the wire was badly corroded internally and was replaced. It now feels as though it's going to spin the motor out of the frame.
    I have heard about this before as being the main reason most starters on BX16V & Mi16s are replaced & auto sparkys, all embarrassed usually find this problem after they've just fitted a mega buck recon starter and do this as an "extra" so if you have a problem starting your BX/Mi16 and possibly your 405, before you lash out on an expensive starter motor and a $#!+ of a job to remove & replace, try the yellow wire on the 5 pin Wilson plug; you may save yourself a heap of $$$$$$$$$$$$s.

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I have been having a few starting probs lately, do you know where this wire is on the Mi16 ,i dont think its under the battery, that or i havnt noticed it
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

I think you'll find a lone yellow wire that will be coming out from under the intake plenum which (on mine) had a connector, the torpedo type and going to the white (Tupperware looking) plug with 5 spade terminals in it.
    It connects to the solenoid & from all accounts drags the solenoid into contact. When internally corroded it is acting lazily and *just* holding it in instead of snapping in hard.
    One test we used was to disconnect at the connector and making sure it's out of gear & handbrake on, put the male section of the connector to the + side of the battery & see what difference that makes.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information