Automotive portraiture
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Automotive portraiture

My name is Andrew and I am assessing the feasibility of a photography business. I am planning on offering a car portrait service that will be quite affordable because i will be offering it to clubs for their members to receive a "bulk rate". Individuals will also be able to access the service by organising a few friends who are interested also.

I have compiled a list of prices and example images. It's worth emailing me just to see the Dr Claw Car from the Inspector Gadget II movie in detail. there are also seven short questions regarding the images and prices and what you think.

I'd like to emphasise that this is a research activity and i am not actually operating this business yet. I wont be sending you junk mail or adding you to lists if you are kind enough to reply

Advertisement

Thanks in advance, Andrew Fuller.

If you are able to take a few moments to help please email me at [email protected]

1000+ Posts

Andrew,

First of all, we don't like spam here. A user with 1 post, which is about their business is definately spam. I'm going to leave the post here for now...

Also, PLEASE do not post duplicates. I've deleted your duplicate in the Social/Events section.

Derek

Look andrew we welcome you to Aussiefrogs.....NOT .

Im the local bully on AF so since you are the new kid on the block i think i need to tease you & shread your crappy business to bits .

1st of all we don't need people to take photos of our cars, we have many good photographers here, the stuff i can pull off with them cameras you can get from your local chemist does wonders for me.

2nd of all why the hell do you think we would trust some bozo like you whos never posted here before? For all we know you could be some junkie just trying to get some cash for your next fix!

Moral of the story, no one trust spammers, so dont waste your time.

Thats a bit harsh isnt it? It may be a genuine attempt @ getting an opinion on what may or may not be an interesting business. Lets wait for a response 1st at least?
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

1000+ Posts

chilllllllllll winstaaaan!

i can understand how we feel about this, as it IS selling a business...

If you have a quick think about how he's getting his clientele (spelling?) its not too sound... He's on an internet Forum so there's bound to be a few n3rds such as myself & we've all got digital cameras... Then there's the fact that the Frenchies arent cheap Hyundai's, so we mite/prolly have a bit more $ than the average car owner... so the digital camera would be a good one!!!

lol....

no sale!

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Look andrew we welcome you to Aussiefrogs.....NOT .

Im the local bully on AF so since you are the new kid on the block i think i need to tease you & shread your crappy business to bits .

1st of all we don't need people to take photos of our cars, we have many good photographers here, the stuff i can pull off with them cameras you can get from your local chemist does wonders for me.

2nd of all why the hell do you think we would trust some bozo like you whos never posted here before? For all we know you could be some junkie just trying to get some cash for your next fix!

Moral of the story, no one trust spammers, so dont waste your time.

You don't say ham, you say Spam. Spam is 'real' sliced ham...

It think that it's pretty clear that we are not interested in this business venture.

I know that I didn't spend around $1400 for a digital camera to have someone else take a photo of my car.

Sounds like you'll be pushing shite uphill to try and get business from forums like this.

You'd probably be better of approaching the big financial clubs to arrange a meeting. Then with your business proposal in hand, you might be able to get along to car shows e.t.c.

But, as stated before, on a web based forum and with any club, there is bound to be people there that will do it for the love, not the $$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Automotive portraiture-spam.jpg  
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Originally postred by Andrew Fuller
    .....I'd like to emphasise that this is a research activity and I am not actually operating this business yet. I wont be sending you junk mail or adding you to lists if you are kind enough to reply
    I think this sentence shows that some have been a little more than harsh in dealing with Andrew... how about some civility?

As for car portraits, I think I'd rather pay for one of Shane Cowham's paintings (he offers that service...) than to get a photo. Like most, I can photograph my own car.

But that's not to say that everyone would be the same... approaching car clubs might get you some response. Might...

Struth! I'm glad I didn't advertise my "Silkworm Silk Harvesting Company Inc." here! I don't think I could handle the abuse!

I think a few of you may have been a bit harsh...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

1000+ Posts

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by boodek
    Struth! I'm glad I didn't advertise my "Silkworm Silk Harvesting Company Inc." here! I don't think I could handle the abuse!

I think a few of you may have been a bit harsh...
    boodek,

If you want to advertise your silkworms, go for it, within reason. We don't mind long-term users letting others know what they do to make a crust (heck, I've been known to do it in the past), but for a user to sign up, make 1 or 2 (in this case duplicate) posts soley in relation to their business is not what the moderators or admins want.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    ...but for a user to sign up, make 1 or 2 (in this case duplicate) posts soley in relation to their business is not what the moderators or admins want.
    Derek
    Fair enough, too; as a long-time member of this forum with an interest in keeping it 'a cut above the rest' I certainly support this rule. Like Ray's, my post though was in response to some of the curt language used in other replies.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

hey maybe that is something that could be in this forum, somewhere for long-term users/posters to promote their business.

I know that many people who use this forum own/run their own business. Could be an idea...
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Cal

I don't see any problem with this post, but as you lot have unleashed the fury, I'll leave that alone.

As a professional photographer myself, what shits me is morons who buy an expensive camera and figure themself to be some great shooter. Good photography is an art and the medium is light. I could not give a toss how expensive your digital camera is, some of the greatest photos ever taken were made with a plate camera.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

How about we all just take a chill pill. It seems everyone is getting overlly ambitious when it comes to what is right and wrong on the forum. We don't need mini-hitlers here, period.

Andrew's post was offering a legitimate service which many users may want. Who cares if he only has 1 post, he'd likely have more credentials at photography than most users here, therefore be an asset should such a service be required. More than likely he has pissed off never to come back and who know, he could of produced some really nice pictures of our pride and joy.

I also agree with Cal. I'm crap at photography and would gladly pay a professional to take a great pic. Look at my avatar, and your's too Deka, these were taken with a good SLR camera and had time spent on them and now is my favorite picture of my car, ever. If Lincoln had showed me that pic, I would of gladly paid for it. It's simply something I couldn't do.

Have a think about the greater good of the forum, not personal opinions on whether this is spam or not.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

awwwww....shucks

This would have to be the best pic I've ever taken of a car. Could be straight out of a Ford brochure: http://www.mymane.net/photos/ST_vaca...nton_Wilpena_1

Yay!!!!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    How about we all just take a chill pill. It seems everyone is getting overly ambitious when it comes to what is right and wrong on the forum. We don't need mini-hitlers here, period.
    No kidding ..... perhaps more members should read the Salad Days post. instead of playing the new forth Reich. no need to start dishing out

After all he was trying to ASSESS the feasibility of a photography business offering a car portrait service. Not actually try and sell you something directly ... if you think it's a BAD idea then say so, if you think it's a GOOD idea then likewise. Where else whould you ask if taking pictures of your car was a good idea .... der a car forum !

My response ... no not interested, but some people may be, especially those that put their car in shows and such.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Young Seamus says "Da' us protestants are always killin' those catholics, and 'dose catholics always killin' us protestants."

"That's right son"

Says Seamus "So da', if all of us were protestants, we'd stop killin' each other right?"

"No me son, even if we were all protestants with double chins, purple spots and we be all pissin' guiness..those that could piss 2 pints would still end up killin' those poor sods that could only piss one"
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    awwwww....shucks

This would have to be the best pic I've ever taken of a car. Could be straight out of a Ford brochure: http://www.mymane.net/photos/ST_vaca...nton_Wilpena_1

Yay!!!!
    My point exactly. I appreciate good photography and if someone can take a good one of my ride I'd likely buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    My point exactly. I appreciate good photography and if someone can take a good one of my ride I'd likely buy it.
    I'll have to bring up a print for you when I'm next in Bris-vegas. And no, no money, just for the love of Aussiefrogs

I'll have to bring up a print for you when I'm next in Bris-vegas. And no, no money, just for the love of Aussiefrogs

awwwww....shucks

Yay!!!!
    Nuh-uh ... in a ford brochure the car would be CLEAN!!!

But i do like the picture.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Quote Originally Posted by lucin

But i do like the picture.
    Yeah, but that'd make no sense! But it would be something a marketing person would think up...

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by lucin
    Unless it was inferring a WRC link ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

To answer the question, though. There is a market for automotive portraiture, just not really in many French cars. It would suit the highly modified crowd more so. One of the guys over on performance forums is a very good automotive photog, with gear that sticks on the side of cars to get some arty shots.

At a track day, it wouldn't be unheard of to bring in a photog to shoot it for us. Someone with some nice long lenses, it'd add a lot of value. I know that I would appreciate some good phtography when I'm on the track. I'd love to do it myself, but I'd also love to be on the track! Catch-22.

The shots that I've taken on cruises requires someone else to be driving, most of the time. This can't be done if I'm having fun in my car, and a camera in the hands of someone skilled does have value.

However, overall, it's not something that could bring a serious amount of money home, IMO.
    Last edited by GTI124; 31st March 2004 at 10:44 AM.

Here is a pic I just found of me at Queensland Racway last month. Not the best pic in the world but I hhave asked if there are any more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Automotive portraiture-pug-dsc_5865.jpg  

So has anyone emailed Mr Andrew Fuller.

If this guy was serious about this potential business wouldn't he come back & see the responses?

For your infromation MR Fullercrap hasn't logged on since the day he joined let alone posted anything else. Plus what type of business person doenst leave other forms of contact let alone let us know where abouts in Australia he is or even if he is in Aus.

I've continued my rant in the salad days post so we can all focus on Mr Fuller's wonderful business idea & this thread doesnt go off-topic. so you can read that here>>> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11923

Asanka-out

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information