A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland

Default A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland

Hi all

I looked for the previous thread on this, but was unable to find it. As some of you are aware, a french car wreckers has existed at a place called Drayton (just outside Toowoomba in QLD) for over 30 years. I stand corrected, it was also a mechanical workshop up until 6 or so years ago.

Advertisement

Also, I put "French car wrecking" as the title as there are a few Citroen DS's and numerous Renaults (including a rare model - on a trailer in the pics) in the yard. The majority are Peugeot 403/404/504/505/604/405/ and a couple of newer models.

The guy who owns it is an interesting character and I am one of the lucky ones who has built up a friendship with him (through my late father).

I have been trying to get up there for a number of months now, so I thought today was a good day to take the 504 for a run (note to self - check weather before going as driving a 504 without a/c in 37 degree is not much fun)

Due to the owners' issue with debt the block is going to auction, but the owner has told me that this will not go ahead as he has sold residential property to keep this afloat.

It is also noted this yard is not the only yard full of french cars in the Toowoomba area owned by this person.

Most of the vehicles are borderline restorable. Being out in the elements for such a long time means interior materials are no longer usable. Corrosion of most metal parts ranges from surface rust to pitting...and even algae growth. Also every single car/wreck is stuffed with crap.....junk mail, cardboard boxes full of paperwork....it is just a mess. There is so much stuff here! But actually it is really sad to see all these good cars just wasting away.

But I did get what I was after - 6 Purflux oil filters, all front suspension parts (all new), and another instrument cluster with a tacho (as my clock has never worked) Plus I picked up some sunburn, mild heat stroke and a nasty scratch to my leg!

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-1.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-2.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-3.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-4.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-5.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-6.jpg  

A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-7.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-8.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-9.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-10.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-11.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-12.jpg  

A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-13.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-14.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-15.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-16.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-17.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-18.jpg  

A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-19.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-20.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-21.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-22.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-23.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-24.jpg  

A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-25.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-26.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-27.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-28.jpg   A visit to French car wrecking outside Toowoomba in Queensland-29.jpg  
    Last edited by Pug72; 21st November 2015 at 10:00 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I want a back yard like that when I grow up!!!

Pity about the condition of some of them. Hope that they find good homes

Andrew

COL

Certainly has lots of stuff there
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

In one sense it would be nice if people were able to "help" - at least from the emotive viewpoint of making use/profit of some of what's there. At the same time, I am well aware that there are ways an owner could self-fund a contraction of stock.

When one looks at how much places like CX-Basis charge for used bits, you'd think there might be some merit in experts - rather than scrappies - seeing how the eyes can be picked out for balancing sentiment with income.
    cjl likes this.

Cool pics .. thnx
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

I wish that Juvaquatre would stop calling me.....

that's what it is called! I had to google it. That car on the trailer looks good from a distance....but has serious rust in the sills and the interior is nothing but seat springs. No material anywhere.

Pfft! child's play, but I still don't want it"........

Really I don't.

P72, if you saw some of the basket cases people in other countries restore (all marques and models), you would realise how greedily we sup from a silver spoon.
    59 Floride and Dano like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Really I don't.
    Because it's not a van?
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Yes that and the fact that I'm all restorationed out.

No more for me, unless someone can come up with a Dauphinoise or a Domain/Manoir

or an A110

or an old Bugatti

or perhaps a Gullwing Merc...

or...

Short break at work and you'll be all ready for another project
    J-man likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Yes that and the fact that I'm all restorationed out.

No more for me, unless someone can come up with a Dauphinoise or a Domain/Manoir

or an A110

or an old Bugatti

or perhaps a Gullwing Merc...

or...
    Hmmm I drove the Landlord's '55 Gullwing last week...NOT the deeply religious experience one would expect from such a legendary Car. It's also one of 29 built with an Aluminum Body. I can't see why these things are worth $2.5-Million.

.....and of course you got a photo of it didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Hi all

I looked for the previous thread on this, but was unable to find it. As some of you are aware, a french car wreckers has existed at a place called Drayton (just outside Toowoomba in QLD) for over 30 years. I stand corrected, it was also a mechanical workshop up until 6 or so years ago.

Also, I put "French car wrecking" as the title as there are a few Citroen DS's and numerous Renaults (including a rare model - on a trailer in the pics) in the yard. The majority are Peugeot 403/404/504/505/604/405/ and a couple of newer models.

The guy who owns it is an interesting character and I am one of the lucky ones who has built up a friendship with him (through my late father).

I have been trying to get up there for a number of months now, so I thought today was a good day to take the 504 for a run (note to self - check weather before going as driving a 504 without a/c in 37 degree is not much fun)

Due to the owners' issue with debt the block is going to auction, but the owner has told me that this will not go ahead as he has sold residential property to keep this afloat.

It is also noted this yard is not the only yard full of french cars in the Toowoomba area owned by this person.

Most of the vehicles are borderline restorable. Being out in the elements for such a long time means interior materials are no longer usable. Corrosion of most metal parts ranges from surface rust to pitting...and even algae growth. Also every single car/wreck is stuffed with crap.....junk mail, cardboard boxes full of paperwork....it is just a mess. There is so much stuff here! But actually it is really sad to see all these good cars just wasting away.

But I did get what I was after - 6 Purflux oil filters, all front suspension parts (all new), and another instrument cluster with a tacho (as my clock has never worked) Plus I picked up some sunburn, mild heat stroke and a nasty scratch to my leg!

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Run past the idea past him of numbering each vehicle and taking detailed images of each vehicle, and running an online auction.

He will may be able to buy his house back with the proceeds and at least there is chance the cars will be partially, at least, be saved.

However, I suspect the commercial competence has probably left him by now and addictive hording taken it's place.

Sad to see stuff like go to the crusher, because the plot is more valuable to the purchaser and the vehicles are simply a burden, which is the way it's heading.

Pug72, did you happen to notice if the Juvaquatre had a front mudguard on the drivers side or was it missing..?

Pug72, did you happen to notice if the Juvaquatre had a front mudguard on the drivers side or was it missing..?

Hmm, seems to be more than just causal interest!

1000+ Posts

Uh-Oh^^^^! Sounds like somebodies interested
    J-man likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Buy 'ere! Pay 'ere!

.....and of course you got a photo of it didn't you?
    No. But you're more than welcome to pop on over to 'ave a look...and 'MAYBE' go for a ride in it. More than one Overseas visitor has passed through here to 'ave a peep(and "MAYBE"..)take something Home. The Landlord & His Brother's have sent more than their fair share of Cars/Bikes & Parts overseas over the past 50/60 years. Even their Father & Grandfather had been sending stuff overseas,and on occasion,bringing 'Something' in.
    addo and 68 404 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Hmm, seems to be more than just causal interest!
    Quote Originally Posted by StephineS View Post
    Uh-Oh^^^^! Sounds like somebodies interested
    Oh Pffft! Unless someone can take one of my present cars off me at a generous market rate and promise to look after it I have no need for anymore cars as I only have one backside, that is last time I checked.

Besides that, restoring old cars is just plain hard work..

You're the one with the most free time - the visit invite shouldn't be declined!

1000+ Posts

Icon10

^^^^He TALKS a 'Good Game'...but in REALITY He's just made that Juvaquatre His new Screensaver.....You're only LYING TO YERSELF. RELENT!! RELENT!!^^^^
    CarNut likes this.

I'll never give in to desire..

Never I say.

Never say never again.

I'll never give in to desire..

Never I say.
    I think it would be wrong to buy just that car and isolate it from all its "friends". You need to buy the whole yard and contents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information