• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: What is this trash ?

Default What is this trash ?

What is this trash ?-trash.jpg

If you click no you are still forced to the advertisers site.

Predatory advertising.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I expect you're savvy enough to know they're not real buttons.
    But I agree, not the kind of ads that should be associated with a reputable website.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

What I'm saying crap like should be banned by AF management, flashing "buttons" / code objects have no place on this site.

Especially when one clicks expecting the incessant flashing to stop and get redirected to another site.

The AD is acceptable , only if behaves as indicated. That's my complaint.

No one ever heard of Adblock Plus? That surprises me.......

No trash on my web pages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is this trash ?-adblock.jpg  
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 17th November 2015 at 06:33 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I've looked at Ad block , but I run some browser based applications and one application delivered as service from the net.

And I've seen reports, with some users losing functionality and various internet based application "buttons" being lost. Even one reporting the installer comes with Trojans.

So I'm a bit reluctant at this stage.

1000+ Posts

I don't use Adblock and have never seen an ad I won't permit on any site. But when i download the AF pages unfiltered as an html file, all I see is a Eurodrive image, linked to an external site. Has the offending ad been removed?

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I've looked at Ad block , but I run some browser based applications and one application delivered as service from the net.

And I've seen reports, with some users losing functionality and various internet based application "buttons" being lost. Even one reporting the installer comes with Trojans.

So I'm a bit reluctant at this stage.
    Don't know about any trojan bullshit, been using it for many years no problems. The program is on the official Opera Extension site and is reasonably customisable. Try it!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Don't know about any trojan bullshit, been using it for many years no problems. The program is on the official Opera Extension site and is reasonably customisable. Try it!
    I don't use Opera. I use Chrome. Will you pick all the shit out of the registry and system folder if it stuffs up?

Your experience is not necessarily what all computer users should expect.

Been there and done that before one recommendation is insufficient for me make a decision.

Oh ye full of experience and very little faith! I trust you continue to enjoy crap all over your web pages. There is an Adblock version for Chrome and it appears to be popular with only fifty million Chrome users........

Kim, all that glistens is not gold. And since you don't run antivirus software I'm not inclined to take your recommendations too seriously.

And it's entirely my choice not yours.

So please desist with the smart arsed posts. They are not welcome.

Any responsible site owner show decline ads as the one in question.

Do any of the win doze browsers have a flash blocker? I use the built in Safari one along with Ghostery plug in tracking blocker and I never see such things. Plus pages load faster when the flash crap is avoided.

Fellow Frogger!

I run adblocker, but I decided I get enough use out of AF that it would be fair to see the ads, so I've given it an exception.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

And since you don't run antivirus software I'm not inclined to take your recommendations too seriously...............................
    FYI I have run firewalls, antivirus and anti-malware since Windows 95 and have never had an episode. I really don't know where you get your information, but clearly it involves animal bones, chicken entrails and crystal balls. Keep up the good work!

1000+ Posts

Well I still can't find this ad. Has someone noted the source?

Those who worry about Adblock etc might be interested in BrowserLeaks.com ? Web Browser Security Checklist for Identity Theft Protection. Work through the tests in the sidebar and find how much a site can learn about you from the way your browser responds. Adblock is detectable.

The test codes are open sourced.
    Last edited by seasink; 17th November 2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Well I still can't find this ad. Has someone noted the source?

Those who worry about Adblock etc might be interested in BrowserLeaks.com ? Web Browser Security Checklist for Identity Theft Protection. Work through the tests in the sidebar and find how much a site can learn about you from the way your browser responds. Adblock is detectable.

The test codes are open sourced.
    An image of the offending as was placed in post #1.Presumably it from the domain listed in the ad. If you can't find I could look in history.

FYI I have run firewalls, antivirus and anti-malware since Windows 95 and have never had an episode. I really don't know where you get your information, but clearly it involves animal bones, chicken entrails and crystal balls. Keep up the good work!
    Kim, in one of your big noting posts, you made the throw away comment, I don't use any anti virus program, other keeping my operating system updated.

It was while back and and I cbf searching for it.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Kim, in one of your big noting posts, you made the throw away comment, I don't use any anti virus program, other keeping my operating system updated.

It was while back and and I cbf searching for it.
    Neither can I, but to straighten the record I think you'll find I said I don't BUY anti-virus programs. I use proprietary free ones instead. That's possibly when you thought I said something else?

Neither can I, but to straighten the record I think you'll find I said I don't BUY anti-virus programs. I use proprietary free ones instead. That's possibly when you thought I said something else?
    Anything is possible in a big City

Talking about free antivirus, I'm about to dump AVG completely, the new multi platform AVG, Zen , may work well but it is so hard to set up and demands setting up an account. Not to my liking at all.

Over the weekend, when installing the OS after assembling my Son's new computer, we tried Avast Free, which so much easier to install and totally hassle free.

One ex AVG devotee lost.

I also run Zone alarm and spybot search and destroy
    con likes this.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

I also run Zone alarm and spybot search and destroy

which version of Zone Alarm? Malware Antibytes is also very good?

Banned

personally, i wouldnt get too upset about an annoying ad from time to time.
    they do help pay for this website to continue, after all!
    further, at least some of these online advertising arrangements dont actually give the website operator the option to choose what ads are displayed.

I don't use Opera. I use Chrome. Will you pick all the shit out of the registry and system folder if it stuffs up?

Your experience is not necessarily what all computer users should expect.

Been there and done that before one recommendation is insufficient for me make a decision.
    Chrome and Opera are virtually the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
    Chrome and Opera are virtually the same thing.
    Nice to know.

1000+ Posts

New editions of Opera are indeed a different GUI built on Chrome - that's why Opera fans don't use it. The last "proper" Opera was V12.16 (Linux) or 12.17 (Windows), fully scriptable and customisable as it should be. It is still available for this reason.

After Opera abandoned their browser development and had a very large loss of staff, a new, this time open source browser is on the way, incorporating all the features of Opera 12.16 - it's currently in beta for Linux, Win and Mac - https://vivaldi.com/ Think the previous developers making a new clean room version.

PS Vivaldi uses the same Blink rendering engine as Chromium
    Last edited by seasink; 18th November 2015 at 09:06 PM.

Thread Information