Second car?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Second car?

Default Second car?

G'day,

Advertisement

Looking at getting a second car in the near future. At the moment I have the 205 Gti which I love to bits and has given me the french car bug. I was just wondering what would be a good run-about second hand car. Not looking to spend too much Probably around the 12k mark.
    Last edited by sammyf; 26th March 2004 at 04:27 PM.
    '92 205 Gti

The less people know about how sausages and laws are made, the better they’ll sleep at night.
    Otto von Bismarck

That's an easy one; a Citroen BX.

Look OK, cheap to buy, cheap to run (7.5 L/100 klms on a run and 9L/100klms around town) comfortable, handle like a sports car, got more room in them than the average station wagon with the seats down, 5 passenger capacity, legal towubg limit of 1100kgs, don't rust, plenty of parts around & have a reputation for going mega miles without major work unless you use a rip off repairer then that's another story.
    You just missed one in Beenleigh that was a good buy; how do I know?

Coz it's sitting in my backyard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second car?-beige-bx-drivers-side..jpg  
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Buy a motorbike son.....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    That's an easy one; a Citroen BX.

Look OK, cheap to buy, cheap to run (7.5 L/100 klms on a run and 9L/100klms around town) comfortable, handle like a sports car, got more room in them than the average station wagon with the seats down, 5 passenger capacity, legal towubg limit of 1100kgs, don't rust, plenty of parts around & have a reputation for going mega miles without major work unless you use a rip off repairer then that's another story.
    You just missed one in Beenleigh that was a good buy; how do I know?

Coz it's sitting in my backyard.
    $12k is Xantia teritory. It'd have to be a bloody IMMACULATE BX16valve with very few kms and full service history to get even close to that figure. Lets face it if you buy a BX16valve as a 2nd car, the poor old 205 is just going to sit & gather dust, 'cos your sure not going to want to drive it again

If you want a larger solid car, a 5spd Xantia would certianly be the go (I just don't like slugomatics).

BTW: If you want a **REAL** car, I've seen a couple of CX2500 GTi Turbo II's around for that money

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If you want a 'fun car' and don't mind spending the time & $$$$$$s on general maintenance, you can't do much better than this.
    At the price, top value and as a bonus it was one of about 50 from memory made that year (worldwide) so is quite a collectable.
    I have one & they are a real buzz to drive & look different enough to turn heads. Performance and handling is their forte' and this car is apparently known by a few in the Cit community down south & is a well respected car.
    A guy who works for this company comes on this board & gave a fairly detailed description of it and indicated that without a trade, a few dollars less would buy it.
    If you haven't ever driven one, do yourself a favour if you get half a chance.

http://www.oldtimercentre.com.au/det...?stocknum=1282

Incidentally, you caught me out previously as you hadn't mentioned a ballpark price. Even so, have a look at the Trading Post as there is also a low mileage TZi19 in Brisbane; bit pricey but apparently a very good car.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

rek

Quote Originally Posted by sammyf
    what would be a good run-about second hand car
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    ... don't mind spending the time & $$$$$$s on general maintenance ... one of about 50 from memory made that year (worldwide) so is quite a collectable
    Ahem

Suggestion; a Pug 306? (I'm obviously a bit biased, but don't tell me the other two replies aren't ) They are Froggy enough to be interesting, practical enough to be a runabout (not sure about fitting 5 in comfort though), and common enough to be dead easy to find insurance/parts/many local knowledgable servicepeople/etc.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

well iv got a wee micra!!! yes dont laugh!!! haha was renting a flat for 2 years so couldnt afford to buy a new car!!! how bout a wee clio or 206 second hand???

Micra's are great aren't they. I had one when I lived in Switzerland years ago.
    I loved the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    Micra's are great aren't they. I had one when I lived in Switzerland years ago.
    I loved the car.
    are u kidding i hate them lol, they are tiny, ugly, slow and not confortable to drive lol....i was driving an automatic micra for a while then i swapped with mum so iv now got the manual micra which is slightly better!!!

are most of the cars over there manual or auto or both???

id love an fto or celica or mr2 or 206cc or mx5 lol
    Last edited by Jill_uk; 27th March 2004 at 02:43 AM. Reason: forgot to add somethn

Fellow Frogger!

well jill, over here the *average* person drives a domestically produced car ie. Holden (GM) or Ford (FMC). These are large under powered over weight automatic pieces-of-faeces. However the sporty versions of these cars are rated at around 250+kW, 450+Nm and weigh 1700kg through a rear-wheel-drive system.

rice has infested our cities, but none-the-less most cars are still automatic. However Automatics are not as bad as you think. Take our dating 5 litre v8 windsor (i had one) stroke it, add extractors, decent intake plenum, modify valve train, fuel delivery and suddenly it is a 450HP 5.6 Litre V8 delivering 650 Nm of torque to the drive-train. NO manual is going to like that for long. a 3000rpm stall converted TTrans laps up all the power and man do you launch.

auto's own the strip, manuals own the track

Thanks for the advise guys. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a bargain.
    '92 205 Gti

The less people know about how sausages and laws are made, the better they’ll sleep at night.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    well jill, over here the *average* person drives a domestically produced car ie. Holden (GM) or Ford (FMC). These are large under powered over weight automatic pieces-of-faeces.
    Under powered?

What's your definition of underpowered, because if a base Commodore Exec or Falcon XT is underpowered, then you'll struggle to find a well powered car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Under powered?

What's your definition of underpowered, because if a base Commodore Exec or Falcon XT is underpowered, then you'll struggle to find a well powered car.
    Yeah,

I laughed at that too. I was looking at a motoring magazine a couple of weeks back. A bog standard base model new foulcan with no extras or supa dupa 'go fast' bolt ons does the 0-100km/h sprint in 7.8seconds.

If that's slow, please tell me what fast is ??

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information