What do motorists want when purchasing a motor car, the four top reasons
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What do motorists want when purchasing a motor car, the four top reasons

1000+ Posts

Icon14 What do motorists want when purchasing a motor car, the four top reasons

A recent Harris poll of motorists in the United States asked what top features that they sought out when purchasing an automobile. I would venture to say that given our own large continent and love of the motor car a poll of our own motorists might provide a similar top four.

Advertisement

Trending Topics ? What are the top selling points for vehicles? | Elio Motors

Ken
    Alain likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I'd have to agree, pretty much. Reliability is definitely a big thing, although I think that different people will have different answers as to what makes a car unreliable, depending on their ability to troubleshoot/repair issues as they arise. I went through a couple of starter motors on my CX within a relatively short space of time once, but I didn't classify the ol' girl as unreliable as a result. An electrical wire once shorted through a clamp on the a/c compressor, and it stopped the car in peak hour traffic outside a swanky pub in North Sydney. Minor glitch.
    I always checked the gaps and clearances, and changed oil regularly.....all that sort of general maintenance type stuff and, generally, I classified it as extremely reliable transport considering how many km I travelled in it. Apart from the occasional leak, it was fantastic as an everyday driver.
    Maybe (Ken) you're talking about new cars exclusively here. I've never had one (a new car) so I can only comment on old ones, but yeah....I think the same criteria probably apply even when buying an older car.
    I never bought a brand new car, not because I couldn't afford one. I just know that I can bore of one car quickly if another one takes my fancy. It's a good thing that I don't get bored so quickly with my women, or it could get rather expensive.
    For me, buying a car is about more than buying an "appliance" to get me from A to B. I tend to overlook little things that go "wrong" if the car appeals to my imagination, or makes me feel like I'm driving something just a little bit different to what everyone else seems to be driving, if that makes any sense.
    When I sit down and really think about it, I think I actually tend to buy cars based on the way I "feel", rather than the more common sense criteria, and then I try to justify that purchase with common sense criteria!! Wow, maybe I've just realised something about myself that the friends and family have probably known for YEARS!!
    Kenfuego and shanadoo like this.

Banned

it is worth noting that people may well be making decisions on criteria entirely different to what they say in a survey.
    if the survey noted was really true, then almost everyone would own a honda or a toyota.
    DanielBendigo and Fordman like this.

1000+ Posts

^^The Brown-Bagger's right!^^

Fellow Frogger!

Reliability, certainly, that is a given. One would not contemplate buying an unreliable car. So is safety. However, for me the 'feel good factor' is uppermost. When I open my garage door I want to 'like' what I see. I want to feel important, admired, exclusive and comfortable when I drive. And for that I am willing to make financial sacrifices. That must mean that price is of lesser importance to me. I have proven that several times, by continuing to 'invest' in Renaults which make me feel good but regrettably present a financial black hole. It's the journey for me, rather than the destination. If I just want to arrive somewhere cheaply and safely I take the bus.

There are Motorists and then there are road-users.
    I would say the survey reflected the opinion of the latter more than the former.
    Unfortunately they make up the bulk of the car buying public and often dictate the design criteria of the "appliance car" makers.
    Paul.

Price is certainly at or near the top, but more important I think is not getting ripped off.
    $5000 sat nav that you may or may not be able to update at unreasonable cost? Sure, I'll take two.
    addo, Kenfuego and StephineS like this.

In no order:
    Timeless or an enjoyable design that I can look at every time at smile
    Reliability and good servicing
    Accessories and standard equipment
    Supple Ride and seat comfort

Sounds like a late 504 or R16!

must say, I have been wondering what would entice someone to buy a vehicle such as the one mentioned here;

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/toa...-off-most.html

seems totally impractical and so quick to bump into the sort of problems described, eg;

stolen
    abused
    controversy
    disappointment ...

thoughts?

ed
    shanadoo likes this.

Youth !

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    it is worth noting that people may well be making decisions on criteria entirely different to what they say in a survey.
    if the survey noted was really true, then almost everyone would own a honda or a toyota.
    Dont' they?

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller View Post
    must say, I have been wondering what would entice someone to buy a vehicle such as the one mentioned here;
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/toa...-off-most.html
    seems totally impractical and so quick to bump into the sort of problems described, eg; . . . . . . . .
    ed
    Guess it comes under the category of "everyone is different"! Why would anyone buy a $30000 motorbike? All the above problems, with one decent seat and no luggage capacity. But they are bought for pure enjoyment, I suppose, plus a smattering of one-upmanship.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller View Post

ed
    Get some testosterone flowing through your veins and take one for a drive.

Have not driven that version, but have driven a few earlier model SS's and whilst Im comfortable with wearing a handbag and driving a SUV and would never buy one, I can understand why someone else would, and appreciate the fact that they have... and let me drive it.

iF I bought a new car and dropped $30k, I know exactly what I'd want....Most likely from the chick who tries to up-sell the paint protection, but this being a G rated thread, I probably shouldn't say what that is that i'd want.

jo
    addo likes this.

I wager it involves a sauna!

And I got told off by missus for be too rude . For telling after market up sell extras chick at the dealership "Not to Waste her time because it ain't going to happen".

Perhaps I should have suggested a sauna instead.
    CarNut likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    And I got told off by missus for be too rude .
    i find that very difficult to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    i find that very difficult to believe.
    Bag your head!

Banned

there is no pleasing some people.

Being an older person

I just want a self drive car that can sense through my wrist watch that I am not in good condition, health wise.
    The car would then drive me to hospital automatically, changing all the traffic lights to provide rapid progress in this emergency.

The car would send my ETA, vital signs and ECG ahead of time to the hospital.

Get some testosterone flowing through your veins and take one for a drive.
    I've got awe and wonder flowing through my mind, why would I need testosterone?

and I used to own a Mach 4 Kawasaki

**no spare tyre, rim and tyre only available from manufacturer/OS??

**owning such a car and still take the Peugeot on holidays??
    Kenfuego likes this.

I've got awe and wonder flowing through my mind,
    That's an acquired state of mind. Brought on by an inquiring mind coupled to the skills to use it.

why would I need testosterone?
    You don't. However many young people do seem to need it. Call it peer group pressure, lack of awareness of "greater things". I'm sure you can add a few "reasons" to the list gained from your experience helping young people.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Being an older person

I just want a self drive car that can sense through my wrist watch that I am not in good condition, health wise.
    The car would then drive me to hospital automatically, changing all the traffic lights to provide rapid progress in this emergency.

The car would send my ETA, vital signs and ECG ahead of time to the hospital.
    i reckon that would be pretty easily done, once the car can actually drive itself.
    quite an interesting thought really. might have to honk SOS with the horn when it gets you to ER.

It would seem from my observations that cupholders appear to be the most coveted item in modern cars, although the Koleos has four cup holders, room for a cousin dans in it's chilled icebox/glovebox, six cans under the floor in front of the back seats and a couple of bottles of shiraz in the front door pockets, all reachable from the front seats naturally, and without encroaching on the boot space.

I love my car!
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    It would seem from my observations that cupholders appear to be the most coveted item in modern cars, although the Koleos has four cup holders, room for a cousin dans in it's chilled icebox/glovebox, six cans under the floor in front of the back seats and a couple of bottles of shiraz in the front door pockets, all reachable from the front seats naturally, and without encroaching on the boot space.

I love my car!
    I'm surprised you haven't stated the obvious yet, surely the answer to the question posed in the thread title
    is "a diesel engine"
    Kenfuego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Reliability, certainly, that is a given. One would not contemplate buying an unreliable car.

[...]
    So how do you think so many Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lambos and endless untold obscure british miserable excuses for cars get sold?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information