Anyone have experience with this make/style of hoist? Makes my room more use-able.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Anyone have experience with this make/style of hoist? Makes my room more use-able.

Icon5 Anyone have experience with this make/style of hoist? Makes my room more use-able.

Hero AutoHoists: Single-Post Parking / Display & Service Hoists

Specifically the 3 tonne mechanics hoist.

Advertisement
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

1000+ Posts

I wonder why the site makes so much of international standards, but not the ones that count-
    AS/NZS 1418.9 Cranes (including hoists & winches) Vehicle Hoists, and AS/NZS 2550.9 Cranes - Safe use - Vehicle Hoists.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I wonder why the site makes so much of international standards, but not the ones that count-
    AS/NZS 1418.9 Cranes (including hoists & winches) Vehicle Hoists, and AS/NZS 2550.9 Cranes - Safe use - Vehicle Hoists.
    Was thinking the same myself. And I will ask them.
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

Well, I'm now thinking of the portable 2.5 tonne one, which DOES have AS. Anyone have/used one of these?
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

For my use I'd want to have it built into the floor not fitted later. Imagine the stress with a single post and the weight cantilevered (sp.) off that point - extra thick floor plus heavy bolts and plate set in when the floor is poured for mine!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

1000+ Posts

All that would achieve is to transfer the bending moment into a small area of slab. These hoists have steel "feet" under them that extend under the car beyond the load centre. The cantilever has a maximum moment at the post base, and the smallish live load of the car is spread at the supports. I'd be more concerned at the strength around that horizontal to vertical joint.

Deflection under load is mentioned in the Standard. There was a nasty accident where a vehicle fell when the swinging load arms slipped - the rubber pads apparently weren't in use.
    Last edited by seasink; 27th October 2015 at 08:57 PM.
    Lasya likes this.

All that would achieve is to transfer the bending moment into a small area of slab. These hoists have steel "feet" under them that extend under the car beyond the load centre. The cantilever has a maximum moment at the post base, and the smallish live load of the car is spread at the supports. I'd be more concerned at the strength around that horizontal to vertical joint.

Deflection under load is mentioned in the Standard. There was a nasty accident where a vehicle fell when the swinging load arms slipped - the rubber pads apparently weren't in use.
    I thought that too. I expected see some substantial gussets at the base to post intersection and also a much larger base area to allow better fixing to the slab.

Banned

jesus all its holding is a couple of tonnes of car.
    i would think 8 presumably high tensile bolts would be enough to hold the vertical to the horizontal without falling over.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    jesus all its holding is a couple of tonnes of car.
    i would think 8 presumably high tensile bolts would be enough to hold the vertical to the horizontal without falling over.
    I'm not an engineer - but I'd reckon it is a little more complex than that. Physics of leverage and all that.
    I'd certainly not be getting under " a couple of tonnes of car" with just 8 bolts connecting the hoist to the floor!

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    I'm not an engineer - but I'd reckon it is a little more complex than that. Physics of leverage and all that.
    I'd certainly not be getting under " a couple of tonnes of car" with just 8 bolts connecting the hoist to the floor!

Ian.
    Thank goodness for real engineers then. (as opposed to those 'experts' with a google degree in everything, ).

Jo

1000+ Posts

I tried to explain the problem, I thought. The floor fixings provide mainly lateral restraint. The aim is NOT to put large stresses in the floor, which is unlikely to be designed to suit in the best workshops.

The base geometry is to make bending within the structure, and the resulting magnitude of deflection, the design criterion, rather than slab stresses. The AS mentions this.
    Last edited by seasink; 28th October 2015 at 08:11 AM.
    addo likes this.

IWS

I tried to explain the problem, I thought. The floor fixings provide mainly lateral restraint. The aim is NOT to put large stresses in the floor, which is unlikely to be designed to suit in the best workshops.

The base geometry is to make bending within the structure, and the resulting magnitude of deflection, the design criterion, rather than slab stresses. The AS mentions this.
    So as I said, I'm not an engineer and Jo, I did not pretend to be "expert" in this matter. Excuse my ignorance above. Your explanation seasink seems to explain - to a lay person - why the design of this thing could be safe. Interesting.

Ia.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why don't you look for a used 4poster .... That way you don't need to worry so much about the slab
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

"Apparently" the slab is not much of a problem. It has a large enough surface are to distribute the weight...
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    "Apparently" the slab is not much of a problem. It has a large enough surface are to distribute the weight...
    The problem as I see it is that you are not distributing the weight. The weight is only distributed over the relatively small area of the base.
    My fix would be to lay down a decent slab of 19mm plate,like they use on roads, tie that to the floor then mount the hoist to that using some substantial metal thread bolts.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Thread Information