The VW effect in France - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: The VW effect in France

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    All I can say is this..when I plant my foot with our 307HDi 2 litre 6 speed Wagon with over 300,000 on the clock it goes a sh!#* lot better than our dedicated gas FG Falcon ute that has barely 160000. Also if I wipe my finger on the exhaust pipe it is absolutely clean.That being said, when we bought the car we were doing over 50k a year..that has now changed and were we to be in the market for a new car I would seriously look at petrol,as mentioned before the gap has closed with the huge advances in petrol engines in the last ten years. Still love that oil burning torque though!
    Living in Traralgon you have air quality issues enough before worrying about your diesel

Advertisement

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Living in Traralgon you have air quality issues enough before worrying about your diesel
    interstingly, there doesnt seem to be any air quality issues in Traralgon generally ....

Valley air all clear: EPA
    By Louis Nelson Sept. 5, 2013, midnight

A LONG-awaited report into Latrobe Valley's air quality has found levels of potentially harmful microscopic particles are within nationally accepted guidelines.

The Environment Protection Authority conducted a targeted air monitoring trial at a temporary location in Morwell from February 2012 to May 2013, and found "generally low levels" of sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and microscopic air pollution particulates.

The report was designed to monitor the air pollution drift across Morwell from Yallourn and Hazelwood power stations, amid widespread concerns the Valley's current power industry-funded air monitoring network was inadequate to monitor airborne particles less than .0025mm in diameter, known as 'PM2.5'.

While the report found six breaches of acceptable PM10 (particles less than .01mm diameter) thresholds and five breaches of PM2.5 thresholds across the 15 month monitoring period, all instances were linked to the smoke from bushfires and planned burns.

The report comes after a recent European study found prolonged exposure to all levels of particulate matter increased the likelihood of lung cancer, while a recent Australian Senate inquiry found monitoring of coal industries' impact on local public health was inadequate.

Latrobe Valley Sustainability Group's Dan Caffrey has been pushing for the report's findings to be released, and said the report should only be viewed as the environmental regulator's first step in addressing the public's air quality concerns.

"The results are better than I expected, but it's still not conclusive that this is an all-clear for Valley residents; there is more and more evidence coming out that there are no safe limits for particulate exposure," Mr Caffrey said.

"The EPA should be doing this as a matter of course not just because there's community pressure for it to happen, they have to be proactively on top of the issue, instead of just being reactive."

However EPA director Annie Volkering said the authority's latest report showed current air quality monitoring at a permanent Traralgon station was adequate, which estimates PM2.5 levels based on visibility reduction readings.
    Valley air all clear: EPA | Latrobe Valley Express

except temporarily due to the fire....

Air quality continues to deteriorate at Morwell, Traralgon, as mine fire continues to burn
    Updated 19 Feb 2014, 1:59pm

The air quality in communities in eastern Victoria continues to deteriorate as officials battle a big fire in the Hazelwood open cut coal mine.

The air quality at Morwell and Traralgon has hit a record low for the second time in a week.

The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) says any air quality index reading above 150 is very poor.

On Sunday the air quality reading at Traralgon deteriorated to 460 and this morning it hit a high of 702 at Morwell.

Deputy Premier Peter Ryan has instructed the Fire Services Commissioner Craig Lapsley to open a special centre in Morwell to answer health-related and business questions for residents.

Thick smoke from the blaze continues to engulf the town and has spread as far as Sale, 65 kilometres away.
    Air quality continues to deteriorate at Morwell, Traralgon, as mine fire continues to burn - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Good grief.

Anyway.

This is one approach to plummeting resale values - on my way home today.

The VW effect in France-img_7645.jpg

(disclaimer - this one was a 2.0 petrol....)

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Good grief. Anyway. This is one approach to plummeting resale values - on my way home today. disclaimer - this one was a 2.0 petrol....)
    Ah, the old "insure and burn" trick. So, do you buy a diesel VW so avoid this problem?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Icon14 VW Share price rising

Volkswagen share prices have risen sharply in the last few days, apparently on the back of news that Volkswagen was already negotiating a settlement with the EPA, over the rigging of Volkswagen CO2 emissions tests, when the scandal broke.

Volkswagen share price rises as US boss Michael Horn admits he knew about emissions scandal last year | City A.M.

Michael Horn, the head of Volkswagon in the US, has admitted he was made aware of “possible emissions non-compliance” by the company last year.

In a testimony due to be presented to a panel of investigators at the House of Representatives today, Horn said the possibility was highlighted to him in a West Virginia University study in spring 2014.

"I was informed that EPA regulations included various penalties for non-compliance with the emissions standards and that the agencies can conduct engineering tests which could include 'defeat device' testing or analysis,” he said.

I was also informed that the company engineers would work with the agencies to resolve the issue.

Later in 2014, I was informed that the technical teams had a specific plan for remedies to bring the vehicles into compliance and that they were engaged with specific agencies about the process.
    Not only that but analysts are urging investors to buy VW shares. Forbes reports.
    Forbes Welcome

Feeling Brave? Now Might Be The Time To Buy Volkswagen Shares

Some investors may raise their eyebrows at this advice. After all, Volkswagen’s Chairman-designate Hans Dieter Poetsch has warned that the diesel-emissions scandal could pose “an existence-threatening crisis for the company.”…

Nonetheless Berenberg Bank analyst Adam Hull, in a published research note to investors, said now is the time to buy.
    Interesting to see if the actual penalty results match the earlier rhetoric, (Euopean, USA, and Australian regulators hard line comments) as the media spin smooths the way to "negotiated" settlements

Perhaps everyone is now concerned with long term economic issues, if a large Auto maker crashes and burns.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Volkswagen share prices have risen sharply in the last few days, apparently on the back of news that Volkswagen was already negotiating a settlement with the EPA, over the rigging of Volkswagen CO2 emissions tests, when the scandal broke.

Volkswagen share price rises as US boss Michael Horn admits he knew about emissions scandal last year | City A.M.

Not only that but analysts are urging investors to buy VW shares. Forbes reports.
    Forbes Welcome

Interesting to see if the actual penalty results match the earlier rhetoric, (Euopean, USA, and Australian regulators hard line comments) as the media spin smooths the way to "negotiated" settlements

Perhaps everyone is now concerned with long term economic issues, if a large Auto maker crashes and burns.

Ken
    I've just had a manager from the market research company than handles the VGA account to dinner. Last month was a bumper month for VW Group Aust. Sales, up there with the best ever.

Approximate research results, at this early stage, suggest 10% of owners are seriously concerned, 40% want the problem fixed, 40 % couldn't care less.

He won't make a predication about survey results next year 'tho. However they are watching the trends on social media which aren't too worrying.
    Kenfuego and jaahn like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Interesting report Robmac, seems to fit with the market and interenet trends.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I've just had a manager from the market research company than handles the VGA account to dinner. Last month was a bumper month for VW Group Aust. Sales, up there with the best ever.

Approximate research results, at this early stage, suggest 10% of owners are seriously concerned, 40% want the problem fixed, 40 % couldn't care less.

He won't make a predication about survey results next year 'tho. However they are watching the trends on social media which aren't too worrying.
    Rob, I think that in the Political sphere, the same percentages apply and there are people that want to get to a solution, there is a noisy 10% across social media that feel VW stabbed them in the back in their quest to save the planet, and it will be that percentage that will demand economic blood, and initially the EPA regulators were playing retribution penalties as a tune to that small percentage of die hard believers, in the lead up to The Paris and spin both ways, but perhaps not the political will to bring down VW and perhaps damage Germany's economic standing, and risk a knock on effect to Euro countries.

Across the blogs you can see almost a paradox developing in the politics and spin seemingly both ways but definitely on the Climate sceptic blogs they were picking up practical vibes - that this blatant cheat was no more than a recognition that auto makers and politicians knew would have no real effect in any case, despite the extreme regulations and spin that it would.

Can't be a whitewash though as such a deliberate cheat (if proven) MUST be punished or many in the EPA who had faith in the regulations and need for them, could try and force the political arm to exact harsher economic blood penalties.

I think we will see more humble pie, suggestion of rogue elements, rather than a deliberate company supported plan, a mistake that was speedily admitted and suchlike. If the general buying public is as your guy says supporting the product, or could not care less, this will strongly influence the political decision makers to ignore or only give lip service to that 10% (who may yet be satisfied with the rectification deal) and Investor confidence is also a huge factor.

Thanks for that information, it does give some reality to the subtle signs I am seeing around the internet.

Ken

Banned

and initially the EPA regulators were playing retribution penalties as a tune to that small percentage of die hard believers,
    the EPA hasnt been 'playing' anything. the talk about the size of possible fines is media speculation based on a known, legislated, per car maximum fine, multiplied by the number of cars in question.

Across the blogs you can see almost a paradox developing in the politics and spin seemingly both ways but definitely on the Climate sceptic blogs they were picking up practical vibes - that this blatant cheat was no more than a recognition that auto makers and politicians knew would have no real effect in any case, despite the extreme regulations and spin that it would.
    despite your psychotic obsession with climate issues, this has nothing to do with it. the regs are about air quality.

Can't be a whitewash though as such a deliberate cheat (if proven) MUST be punished .
    it is proven already, because VW has already stated it is true, and was intentional. surprised you havent noticed that bit.

I think we will see more humble pie, suggestion of rogue elements, rather than a deliberate company supported plan, a mistake that was speedily admitted and suchlike.
    Ken
    which isnt much of a prediction, given all that has already been said by VW.

So Volkswagen knew 18 months ago and "Later in 2014, I was informed that the technical teams had a specific plan for remedies to bring the vehicles into compliance" but they still sold (and advertised as such) the same cars with the same software and with the same specifications, (i.e. power and torque).

Am I being cynical in thinking Volkswagen are lying through their teeth and are only doing this because they got caught.

But they'll get a slap on the wrist (if anything) and in 12 months everyone will have forgotten about this.
    Kenfuego and jaahn like this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Setting the record straight lest you misinform..

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    the EPA hasnt been 'playing' anything. the talk about the size of possible fines is media speculation based on a known, legislated, per car maximum fine, multiplied by the number of cars in question.
    [Or your psychotic obsession alexander in arguing with other's posts (and mine of course) There have certainly been comments from the EPA pointing out the available penalties and the serious nature of the "Cheat" , to negate the US EPA air quality regulation for protection of the environment]

despite your psychotic obsession with climate issues, this has nothing to do with it. the regs are about air quality.

[Sigh! I thought I was quite clear in the association with air quality, but since you specifically raise the climate change issue, there has been a merge of agenda, that morphed from anthropogenic Global Warming to Climate Change for political reasons and environmental and air quality and now health, all have been neatly packaged politically, mainly due to the data and science failing to back up many of the scary claims.

The EPA has been part of a political push to regulate air quality and environment using a variety of reasons, these all grew out of the "Death trains" James Hansen obsession with trying to outlaw coal as a source of both particulate ash on the albedo of snow and premature melting that would see the Arctic ice free some years back, but like other scary claims and the take our word and authority, or claims of non existent "scientific consensus", these incorrect claims have been proven false by other scientists checking the actual data and observations, "falsified"

I have provided links previously, but Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change have very comprehensive listing of the myriad of falsified claims and the scientific reports, observations and data, and the now over 18 years with no statistically significant warming in the Satellite temperature record and ongoing, hasn't helped those authority and consensus claims.
    ]

it is proven already, because VW has already stated it is true, and was intentional. surprised you havent noticed that bit.

[If you read, the issue is the penalties that will be used to punish, there can't be a whitewash null penalty for the reasons I stated and a perfectly legitimate comment, your comprehension fails as usual alexander.]

which isnt much of a prediction, given all that has already been said by VW.
    Sigh

As usual you demonstrate your inability to read and comprehend - you rear up and attack- (as Usual) and yes you are quite psychotic and predictable.

Watts also have a number of fairly recent articles where polls have been taken in the USA, asking what issues that voters want to see addressed as an election issue and Climate Change/Global warming, do not figure at all in the public perception. Not on their agenda.

One reason I try not to emphasize the issue, though it is hard to separate those issues in any conversation on energy sources, environment and health, land use, pollution, carbon particulates, NOX and agricultural issues, weather, water vapour, atmosphere, unless some like you attack and raise the issue or make a spurious comment or claim that NEEDS correcting.

Ken

Banned

que?
    the NOx emissions in question are an air quality issue and have nothing to do with climate change, your pet topic.
    it is certainly hard to "separate those issues" if you choose to introduce the latter where it has no relevance.

i am most amused at you saying you "try not to emphasise the issue". you are the only person on AF who persistently tries to start discussions on climate change. too funny.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Fine moral stand or just being alex.

que?
    the NOx emissions in question are an air quality issue and have nothing to do with climate change, your pet topic.
    it is certainly hard to "separate those issues" if you choose to introduce the latter where it has no relevance.

i am most amused at you saying you "try not to emphasise the issue". you are the only person on AF who persistently tries to start discussions on climate change. too funny.
    Its even funnier when those of us that have been around the site long enough also know that you chose to argue vehemently against the science of Anthropogenic Global Warming and climate change and only recently swapped horse in mid stream and now argue haphazardly for Global warming/ climate change, though you steer away from tackling the fossil fuel oil industry on their mythical but industry controlled so called "Fuel discount cycle" that lulls the fuel buying public towards accepting rising prices in what is a non competitive controlled market.

Maybe you have other agenda? or is it just arguing for arguments sake. I smile at the recollection of your creation of sock puppet's on this site that raise a certain sick image of you arguing with your own self. What the hell

que?
    the NOx emissions in question are an air quality issue and have nothing to do with climate change
    Are you sure about that???

I have no first hand experience in the subject of atmospheric science, but your bold assertion does not sound correct.

It would be a fairly safe thing to say that the key, or how fast i play 'roll out the barre'l today has no effect on climate change (or anything else for that matter) but surely atmospheric gasses and the role they play in the balance of this planet's climate are all linked????

Jo
    Kenfuego likes this.

Banned

I smile at the recollection of your creation of sock puppet's on this site that raise a certain sick image of you arguing with your own self.
    there is only one sock puppet which has conversations with itself in this site.
    none of which changes the fact that you are the only person on AF who persistently talks about climate change, as you are again, so it is bemusing that you say you 'try not to emphasis the issue'.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Jo
    yes. the specific concern about NOx is air quality, and its alleged role in causing 'millions of premature deaths'. further, the OECD article i linked in another thread says that NOx emissions from shipping has a net cooling effect on the globe via a chemical reaction which removes methane from the atmosphere.
    Last edited by alexander; 12th October 2015 at 12:13 PM.
    okalford likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default why do I answer this ??

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

I have no first hand experience in the subject of atmospheric science, but your bold assertion does not sound correct.

It would be a fairly safe thing to say that the key, or how fast i play 'roll out the barre'l today has no effect on climate change (or anything else for that matter) but surely atmospheric gasses and the role they play in the balance of this planet's climate are all linked????

Jo
    Hi Jo
    I am not sure why I am actually buying into this morass, however i will say this.

The NOx emmisions are smog or city type irritations to the lungs and other organs, including the skin etc. However they are small in volume so do not contribute to any large degree to the atmosphere composition. Indeed natural gasses generated by lightning but in that case well above our breathing unless very unlucky. AS opposed to the CO2 that is coming out at large volumes from any engines or burning of all fossil fuels. CO2 is not an irritant to people directly but perhaps to the globe overall. Hmmm.....

As you say the gasses are all linked, but in the way your tail light is linked to the overall performance of your car. Very periferely.
    Jaahn
    jo proffi likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default Quick science recap,

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Jo
    I am not sure why I am actually buying into this morass, however i will say this.

The NOx emmisions are smog or city type irritations to the lungs and other organs, including the skin etc. However they are small in volume so do not contribute to any large degree to the atmosphere composition. Indeed natural gasses generated by lightning but in that case well above our breathing unless very unlucky. AS opposed to the CO2 that is coming out at large volumes from any engines or burning of all fossil fuels. CO2 is not an irritant to people directly but perhaps to the globe overall. Hmmm.....

As you say the gasses are all linked, but in the way your tail light is linked to the overall performance of your car. Very periferely.
    Jaahn
    Fair answer, but there is a strong relationship in the atmosphere .

Actually all are highly related to each other and NoX, Ozone, Hydrocarbons and photochemical production (Smog).

see this quick linked science abstract.

The relation between ozone, NOx and hydrocarbons in urban and polluted rural environments
    [/QUOTE]

The main simple issues IMHO! are natural sources v man made, and "potential" for both to be in varying quantities in the atmosphere, but when you see how the scientists argue over well mixed and natural hotspot of these gases, best we stand clear as they have been arguing the toss for years.

There is also huge seasonal variation along with weather conditions and interaction with water vapour, but the general thrust is in that small abstract.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Banned

The main simple issues IMHO! are natural sources v man made, and "potential" for both to be in varying quantities in the atmosphere, but when you see how the scientists argue over well mixed and natural hotspot of these gases, best we stand clear as they have been arguing the toss for years.

Ken
    no, the only issue in the car exhaust context is NOx emissions and their health effects.
    the other things to which you refer are about climate change, which you are introducing yet again, even though noone else wants to talk about it.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Moving on to await the levle of penalties imposed...

no, the only issue in the car exhaust context is NOx emissions and their health effects.
    the other things to which you refer are about climate change, which you are introducing yet again, even though noone else wants to talk about it.
    So you just don't understand, the relationship between atmospheric pollutants and the environment and the regulation of same - why not just admit you don't understand. and let it rest, as I will

No one wants to see you exposed (that could be rather ugly too ) or exposing yourself in that way.

In any case I'm happy to wait and see what penalties are imposed, both here in Australia (where there is a per car sold penalty available IF the ACCC wants to take that path.....) and in the overseas jurisdictions whatever their legislation permits.

All else is second guessing.

Ken

So you just don't understand, the relationship between atmospheric pollutants and the environment and the regulation of same - why not just admit you don't understand. and let it rest, as I will

No one wants to see you exposed (that could be rather ugly too ) or exposing yourself in that way.

In any case I'm happy to wait and see what penalties are imposed, both here in Australia (where there is a per car sold penalty available IF the ACCC wants to take that path.....) and in the overseas jurisdictions whatever their legislation permits.

All else is second guessing.

Ken
    Let me predict... a multi billion fine.. which is later negotiated to a fraction of original for early admission of guilt and wearing the expense of the repairs. And of course a plausible scapegoat found.

Not many business people would want to see a company of the size Volkwagen AG go to their knees. The ripple through effect would impact too much on other business and government Coffers.

Australian penalties and indeed the market is likely to be small change in the terms of the entire VAG Group.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

I haven't read more than this page of this thread so I apologise if I am covering old ground. Further, I have never read the various climate change threads or the majority of KenFuegos posts simply due to readability. (hint Ken, make them shorter and punchier!).

Ok, what I have worked out is:

1. VW have been caught out lying with figures.
    2. VW will fix the problem by reflashing the thing thing.
    3a. As a result the car will pass the pollution test.
    3b. As a result the car will lose performance/power.
    4. Why would a VW owner (who doesn't vote Labor or thythe to Get Up!) want to get the reflash?

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Because the government can refuse to register the car. Wonder if they will and if they do i suspect people might 'reflash' the ECU if the fix is not to their liking.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Sorry, don't cater for serious lite

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    I haven't read more than this page of this thread so I apologise if I am covering old ground. Further, I have never read the various climate change threads or the majority of KenFuegos posts simply due to readability. (hint Ken, make them shorter and punchier!).

Ok, what I have worked out is:

1. VW have been caught out lying with figures.
    2. VW will fix the problem by reflashing the thing thing.
    3a. As a result the car will pass the pollution test.
    3b. As a result the car will lose performance/power.
    4. Why would a VW owner (who doesn't vote Labor or thythe to Get Up!) want to get the reflash?

Dave
    Sorry Dave, I don't write for skimmers, I write for thinkers who might be stimulated to look again at the subtle issues, many times those issues are the ones that no one thinks about, and the other thing is that because I found many didn't bother reading linked articles, I would copy small sections for easy reading of the link dodgers and covering those issues.

So for me truth and examination or part of the observable world and of course the data (if not obscured) or altered to suit usually proves the truth at a reasonable level of understanding, whereas most it seems rely on 30 second sound bytes or news releases that are given authority well beyond their substance..

I do read supplied links as I feel it is discourteous to comment without doing so, and I would always recommend so in this world of spin and politics in every facet of life, it pays to take some time to do research for your own self education, if nothing else.

So while I do some short posts where something speaks to my own sense of humour, on serious matters - do your own or just complain later, like most. your choice.

Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post

Dave
    good question, and i cant see any reason why they would.

all very easy to say some authority might refuse to register a car, but if i own a car which already has a compliance plate and was sold as approved, i think there would be some serious legal issues with a government then arbitrarily saying it cant be registered. that fact that the Federal governent certified them, but State governments register them, surely complicates the matter more, as does the lack of any emissions test for annual rego anyway.

Banned

some interesting claims here...

Australians Fear 'Dirty Car' Influx After VW Scandal

By Rob Taylor
    CANBERRA, Australia--The emissions scandal engulfing Volkswagen AG has cast a spotlight on countries such as Australia, whose vehicle-pollution standards are far less stringent than in either the U.S. or Europe.

Weeks after Volkswagen owned up to using software to hide the scale of emissions on certain models in tests, some lawmakers here worry that Australia's lower requirements will make it a growing target for auto makers such as Volkswagen seeking markets for their more-polluting vehicle models.

Australia's emissions standards lag behind those of even China and India, and the country remains the only one in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development without a mandatory fuel-efficiency target on vehicles. Last year, Australia ranked at the bottom on fuel-economy levels for passenger cars in a study by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.

"Unless we change our regulations now, we'll be a place where other countries can dump their dirty cars," said Richard Di Natale, leader of Australia's Greens Party, which wields an influential voting bloc in the country's Senate, where the conservative government needs support from others to pass laws.

Australia hasn't kept pace with the tough emissions requirements of other developed countries, largely because it has been focused on reducing costs for its local car industry, which has struggled to compete with an influx of rival vehicle imports.

Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Co. all decided recently to end Australian manufacturing by 2017, which is set to make the country an import-only market for the first time. That is increasing pressure on the government to bring its emissions policy into step with those of other countries.

Australia adheres to pollution standards_two levels below the latest emissions limit prevalent in Europe. The country has agreed to apply a more stringent European standard next year.
    U.S. vehicle-emissions standards are even stricter than in Europe, and are due to get tougher in 2017.

Anna Mortimore, an expert in vehicle-emissions regulation at Australia's Griffith University, said Australian limits were so far behind European and U.S. regulatory benchmarks that the "cheat" devices used by Volkswagen in some of its diesel models to pass certain European emissions tests may actually be unnecessary.

"We are already the dumping ground for global car manufacturers," Ms. Mortimore said. "Vehicles sold here by manufacturers, including not just VW, are all significantly higher for CO2 than they would be back in their own country."

While Australia has curbs on nitrogen-oxide and carbon-monoxide emissions--as well as on diesel-particle levels--there are no regulatory controls on carbon-dioxide emissions in cars, Ms. Mortimore said. She added that it was conceivable Volkswagen could look to sell in Australia some of the noncompliant vehicles it has been forced to recall in Europe.

Volkswagen representatives in Australia declined to comment.

A 2013 study of new passenger vehicles by Australia's National Transport Commission showed that cars made by companies including GM, Ford and Toyota all had higher average CO2 emissions in Australia than in Europe_with differences as high as 61%.

Toyota Australia declined to comment on the findings, while Ford couldn't immediately be reached. A spokesman for GM's Australian unit, Holden, said all its vehicles met at least so-called Euro 4 emissions standards, while more than half met the more stringent Euro 5 limits. The Holden spokesman said the differences were partly explained by buyer behavior and a preference among Australians for larger vehicles.

In a market with 18 million cars on the road this year--up 2.1% from 2014--half of the top 10 sellers were either sport-utility vehicles or light-commercial pickups such as the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger, the statistics bureau reported. Only three of Australia's top-10 selling cars were classified as small, whereas in Europe small cars dominate, according to Australia's Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries.

Last week, Volkswagen said more than 80,000 diesel vehicles already on the road in Australia were likely to be recalled to uninstall the software linked to the latest scandal, including Skoda cars. Most were VW Golf and Polo models fitted with diesel engines in which the software is dormant.
    The chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Rod Sims, said the recall's impact was still unclear.

"We are still pressing VW Australia to understand the extent of consumer detriment," he said. "For example, without the defeat device, how do the actual emissions compare to the relevant Australian standard? Further, what will be the impact of the proposed 'fix' on the vehicles' fuel economy and performance?"

Australia's Greens have proposed legislation that would bring the country's emissions policy into line with EU standards on CO2 emissions. Pollution from vehicles is blamed for 17% of Australia's total greenhouse-gas emissions, which are already among the highest per capita levels for a developed nation. The energy sector, including electricity generators and stationary energy, is the country's largest source of such emissions, accounting for around 70% of the national total.

We still produce less than 1% of the world's CO2 so as usual this article appears to have been produced to scare the bejasus out of the general public. Air quality in Oz does not appear to be a problem if the article posted by Alexander regarding the Latrobe valley is any indication. If lower standards are producing clean enough air I'd happily accept a new Euro 4 model car at a reduced price.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last

Thread Information