The new Log book system for Historics
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The new Log book system for Historics

1000+ Posts

Default The new Log book system for Historics

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.
    In NSW from 1st October.
    Here's the thing:

Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial

The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Duncan Gay, has asked Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services to develop a Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial.

The Log Book Trial will allow all operators of existing vehicles within the Historic Vehicle Scheme to opt-in. These vehicles may then be used for 60 days of general use (i.e. club events, maintenance and personal use) each year. Each day’s use must be recorded in a Log Book.

New entrants to the Historic Vehicle Scheme after the trial commences may apply for inclusion in the Log Book Trial, subject to the existing historic vehicle and registered operator eligibility criteria.

The trial will operate for two years, with an evaluation to be completed during this period as part of the Roads and Maritime Services review of the overall Conditional Registration Scheme.

The Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial will commence on 1 October 2015. Details on how to opt in to the trial will be updated on this page from this date.

Advertisement

Customers interested in the trial should email [email protected]

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Is there still the 30 year age limit or has it been changed to 25, the same as Vic?

I believe it's still 30. The whole system is just an add-on trial.

Shane mentioned it last week in the club permits thread in the Citroen forum.

Club permits

Roger
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

505 GTI on historic plates! just work from a body with an early build date.
    406 HDi

UFO
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

JBN

Damn. That sort of scheme would be ideal for a 2CV Raid vehicle that is only used for one month every four years.

Unfortunately, the modifications, sump guards, fuel tank guards and in my case modified bonnet with extra spare wheel, exhaust pipe bumper bars and later engine (with disc brakes) preclude it from being a historic vehicle.

Catch 22.

John

Hopefully Queensland will have a rethink and adopt the scheme.
    Being on a pension its about the only way I could get the GTi back on the road.

Paul.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Damn. That sort of scheme would be ideal for a 2CV Raid vehicle that is only used for one month every four years.

Unfortunately, the modifications, sump guards, fuel tank guards and in my case modified bonnet with extra spare wheel, exhaust pipe bumper bars and later engine (with disc brakes) preclude it from being a historic vehicle.

Catch 22.

John
    Rubbish ..... I see only a standard 2cv ... Go For It !!!! If your a member of such a ridiculously anal/strict club ... I wouldn't bother giving them the time of day.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Catch 22.

John
    Not really true, me thinks. There are lots of car club plated vehicles heavely modified. Only a few weeksd ago i visited the All British Car Day at the Kings school. there where many modified cars there on club plate. It is more a case of your club itself that might impose such rules?

The onus is on the club to enforce the rules, as per this quote from UFO's link:
    Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options, if desired.
    Lots don't.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I wish the ACT would bring this system in. Means I can get the M3 on cheap rego as it will not be a daily car. When the right age ticks over that is...... Roll on 2017.
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    I wish the ACT would bring this system in. Means I can get the M3 on cheap rego as it will not be a daily car. When the right age ticks over that is...... Roll on 2017.
    '87 ?? It's eligable in Victoria This permit system here is absolutely brilliant. I can't speak highly enough of it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I think so. As from memory Vic is 25 years yeah?

Where as silly old ACT is 30...
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

The Victorian scheme changed Jan 2015 and isn't quite as easy to get along with as it was.
    Unfortunately some 'pop up' clubs have basically ruined it for everyone else by being a little too free in their judgement on what is a historic.
    Best example yet I have seen, a 7L V8 Lotus 7 'Replica'.
    50% bigger and breathing fire, yet wearing a CPS plate.

Vicroads is also proposing to move to 30years.

UFO

I suggest that anyone who has an interest in this does two things:

Register at the email address provided - you get an automatic response

Contact your car club's historic/club plate registrar and also your club secretary to ensure they know about the proposal and to express your support and hope that your club will be supportive too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    I'm waiting for that year for my 205

Doesn't really make much sense to make it 30 years... New Cars are already hitting the sub 15k range. Meaning more and more people will opt to buy new cars so a '20 year old car is perceived to be as old today than a '30' year old car for someone 10 years ago if that makes sense... I can only imagine that will get more and more skewed to that end.

Apart from an occasional 67 kombi my 87 gti is the oldest at my work. The next oldest is a 98 306, then my 02 206 everything else is from this decade. Another 5 years and every car at my work will be newer than 2009
    Last edited by lion5; 19th September 2015 at 01:12 AM.
    Pour le peuple colonisé, la valeur la plus essentielle, parce que la plus concrète, c'est d'abord la terre: la terre qui doit assurer le pain et, bien sûr, la dignité.

JBN

My 1995 Xantia is hysterical. My 1986 2CV is historical. I think a 30 year term is a valid historical condition. My daily drivers have always been at least 10 years old when I have bought them and I then keep them for another 10.

The whole reason for the historical registration is to pander to collectors and enthusiasts, many of whom have a number of interesting vehicles which they seldom drive. It should not pander to nor encourage the young and the broke to get an old bomb, do the minimum maintenance, drive at the maximum speed and perhaps cause, proportionally, the greatest third party claims.

John

New cars are preferred by people that know nothing about cars and just want something reliable and safe, keep it for say 5 years and then get a new one. That and their status symbol role dictate their popularity in car parks. Many such cars are leased and that may be what you are seeing at your work place. If you lose your job, you won't be embarrassed by being surrounded by new cars.
    Last edited by JBN; 19th September 2015 at 02:30 PM.
    cjl likes this.

I went down to the RMS and put my traction on the scheme today.
    The RMS staff are aware of it, but won't have done one before so allow plenty of time.
    I am now in possession of my log book (which is a sheet of a4 paper).

finally we have a usable classic scheme in NSW.
    addo, UFO and Fingers like this.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

I think you jumped the gun. I am aware of people who got logbooks today, and this afternoon got a call from the RMS saying not to use them as clubs have not opted in for the trial, and hence members can't yet either.

You could find yourself uninsured and unregistered.

The advice from CMC as late as last Tuesday night was to wait until your club has had written notice from the RMS, and your club has decided to opt in for the trial. The existing scheme will continue unchanged for now, regardless of the trial.
    KB

My 1995 Xantia is hysterical. My 1986 2CV is historical. I think a 30 year term is a valid historical condition. My daily drivers have always been at least 10 years old when I have bought them and I then keep them for another 10.

The whole reason for the historical registration is to pander to collectors and enthusiasts, many of whom have a number of interesting vehicles which they seldom drive. It should not pander to nor encourage the young and the broke to get an old bomb, do the minimum maintenance, drive at the maximum speed and perhaps cause, proportionally, the greatest third party claims.

John

New cars are preferred by people that know nothing about cars and just want something reliable and safe, keep it for say 5 years and then get a new one. That and their status symbol role dictate their popularity in car parks. Many such cars are leased and that may be what you are seeing at your work place. If you lose your job, you won't be embarrassed by being surrounded by new cars.
    I agree that it shouldn't be about letting people drive bombs because they can't afford it. But I dont see why there cant be a cheaper registration option for any enthusiast car that doesn't get driven more than once a month or so. My S16 is exactly that sort of car and it annoys me that I have to pay $80+ in rego every time I drive it.

An alternative registration could be one for the full $750 or whatever, which stays with the person, not the car. Then I could buy every S16 I see and drive them whenever I want. I can't drive more than one car at a time, so just give me one plate and let me chose my car. The RACV is happy to give a membership on this model, why not rego?
    Current
    306 S16 x 2

Previous
    307 HDi
    405 Mi16

JBN,
    It is likely a scheme for modified historics (min 30yr old cars) will start early next year that might suit your 2CV better.
    The details are still being finalized but it is rumored to operate in a similar manner to the Historic H plates but will be part of the 60 day logbook trial also.

You would need to be part of a club that is both registered with RMS for the scheme, and opted in for the logbook trial although I suspect opting into the modified scheme will mean signing up to the logbook trial automatically.
    KB

Brycedunn,
    Contact your club registrar and ensure they have opted in for the logbook trial. Once your club is listed on the PDF downloadable from the website, then you will be legal and able to commence using the logbook as intended. If your club has not applied or does not intend to apply then you will not be covered.

That was meant to happen before anyone was issued a logbook on the 01/10/15. They are just catching up now. A number of clubs are already approved, but many aren't. They were not meant to issue anyone with a logbook if their club had not opted in and been accepted.
    KB

JBN

I spoke to the club registrar earlier this week. He is awaiting information from the RMS. Catch 22. Sounds like whoever made the announcement did not check if those administering it would be ready. I can't jump the gun at this stage as my car has donated its electronic ignition and starter motor to the other 2CV, so I am some time away from getting it mobile as I expect a Safety Check through a blue slip inspector will be a pre-requisite.

John

To be fair John, your registrar is only following the advice issued to all CMC clubs last Tuesday night.
    In the meantime, people have rocked up and been issued logbooks without their clubs opting in; and as of yesterday lots of clubs had applied and been approved. I note with interest, that even the club that lists the CMC president as contact, has been accepted into the trial.

You can't rock in for a logbook unless your club is listed on the PDF downloadable from the link on the RMS website. If you're converting from no or full rego to logbook trial, you need to get your club to sign/stamp your form anyhow. If you're going from H plates to logbook, it is more straight forward.
    addo likes this.
    KB

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information