French road accident statistics
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ducksonetime
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: French road accident statistics

Default French road accident statistics

I posted a year or so ago some statistics showing that their had been a steady decline in fatal accidents in France. The government had seized on this figure to demonstrate the efficacy of the extra policing and growing number of radars in operation.
    This year the reverse has happened, in spite of those measures being in place. The mortality rate has been steadily climbing. The spin doctors are saying that it is due to bad weather and to a small percentage of the population who ignore the rules irrespective of the controls.
    I think that we can expect more government measures so that they are see to be doing something. Lower speed limits on country roads are being trialled and cars are being even more restricted in the cities. I can see France being an early adopter of driverless cars.

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Does France have a huge public aristocracy who invent ways to keep their employment?
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

I pointed out to anyone who would listen many years ago here in Victoria that at some stage the road toll would plateau and then start rising again. Even after every conceivable passive and active safety feature has been fitted to our motor car population, it would be unwise for anyone to suggest that the road toll could be reduced to zero particularly as that population keeps rising as more new drivers hit the roads. Now that texting whilst driving is seen as a sport to be enjoyed by all and sundry everywhere you look I anticipate that the road toll will in fact rise at a faster rate than it otherwise would have. It is on the way up everywhere and the only obvious solution for responsible authorities is to lower speed limits and increase fines. Or perhaps decide that people don't have a "right" to drive and restrict access to licences and/or vehicles. An annual five thousand dollar licence fee would remove a lot of dead wood from the highways!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Are you saying rich people are better drivers? This might help if everyone was middle class but this will just take away the ability for many lower class to work without fixing the texting problem at all. There majority of text drivers I see are young women. What kind of lower class family can afford to buy their daughters cars and phones? You're not going to remove many text drivers from the road this way...

The answer, as always, is better driver education. Any other "solution" is just a quick fix.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
    JoBo and Renomad like this.
    Current rides:
    '99 Honda VFR800 (daily)
    '02 Ducati 998 (weekender)

Current Project:
    405 Mi16 2.045L
    http://goo.gl/ha5jLL

Past rides:
    156 GTA
    https://youtu.be/HmKwwCwGrVg
    https://youtu.be/y-kgE4HyWzk
    306 GTi6
    405 Mi16
    Series 5 RX-7 TurboII
    E30 325i

Quote Originally Posted by ducksonetime View Post
    Are you saying rich people are better drivers? This might help if everyone was middle class but this will just take away the ability for many lower class to work without fixing the texting problem at all. There majority of text drivers I see are young women. What kind of lower class family can afford to buy their daughters cars and phones? You're not going to remove many text drivers from the road this way...

The answer, as always, is better driver education. Any other "solution" is just a quick fix.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
    No, I'm not saying the more affluent are better drivers. The more expensive the car, the less it's driver uses things like indicators and mirrors, although expensive car drivers generally don't vie with young ladies in cheap Japanese runabouts for the honour of the texting whilst driving crown, as like in my humble car, they can send a text by talking to their bluetooth hands free phone. Which begs the question, if you have to talk to your phone to send a text, why don't you just ring the other party up?

And I agree that better driver training might help the road toll, but I also remember a road safety slogan from the sixties: "The most skilled are the most killed". I think every western country is facing the same problem: more cars = more road deaths.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

The move to driverless cars is going to remove human error from crashes, so a dramatic reduction in fatalities and injuries will be the result. They're already being tested in Sth Aus as well as other parts of the world.
    Estimates vary, but 2020-2025 is often reported in news articles. Another point that was made that older cars (avec driver) would have to be compliant with the newer cars (sans driver). With 60,000 cars on historic car permits in Victoria alone I can't see this being a happy marriage.

Being the Devil's advocate, I'm reminded of the driverless car trials in the USA for the armed services, the survivors of which were hardly F1 quality. The problem driverless cars have is that they can't actually navigate the inside Birdsville Track, let alone the Canning Stock Route. They would similarly have trouble with a myriad of other tracks, from one end of this wide brown land to the other. If driverless cars are mandated for suburbia, I know where I'll be heading: out of town!

Mad Max, here we come!
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 12th September 2015 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Being the Devil's advocate, I'm reminded of the driverless car trials in the USA for the armed services, the survivors of which were hardly F1 quality. The problem driverless cars have is that they can't actually navigate the inside Birdsville Track, let alone the Canning Stock Route. They would similarly have trouble with a myriad of other tracks, from one end of this wide brown land to the other. If driverless cars are mandated for suburbia, I know where I'll be heading: out of town!

Mad Max, here we come!
    My vote is to trial driver less trams first. After all, the quality of driving couldn't be much worse than it is now. And driver less trams may stop for passengers and.... red lights.

If politicians here, seriously suggest driverless cars I think they should be the test riders therewithin for a year or so...

JBN

We already have driverless cars. I think the solution is to have textless cars.

I reckon in a world of driverless vehicles, the hackers would be besides themselves in the commotion that they could cause. Just imagine being able to disable all, say, Toyotas during the peak hour run. That is, on all roads and all expressways. Best to pick either a day when it is really pissing down rain or a 30 degree scorcher. Actually, an easier way is to stretch car tyre spikes across roads. Once the tyres are flat, which driverless drones are going to be able to change a tyre?

Not so long ago we had a pilotless aircraft that went on a mystery tour.

John
    cjl likes this.

driverless cars would mean buses would be less full because, who would share a bus with stinky smelly loud people playing stupid games on their phones forgetting to turn the volume off, (do mini EMP devices exist and are they legal?) anyway why do that when you could be in your own car at a cheaper price given the bs prices of public transport in this country. So the advent of driverless cars means a shit load more engines on the road, because by that time we would have easily solved traffic congestion given that every car will communicate with every other car so it'll be all seamless and wonderful like in sci fi movies, and unless by the time driverless cars are the norm combustion engines are nuclear or made of magic i really doubt they'll be anymore co2 efficient than the most efficient things we have today: Buses.

if you want less cars on the road and/or accidents make public transport more accessible and cheaper.

JBN

Time heals all wounds. When you get old enough, and retired, you can get a Gold OPAL card. Max $2.50 per day on any bus/train/ferry/tram be it public or private.

For me I have free public transport from Newcastle to Nowra to Lithgow. Love it. I only get out in the 2CV when I hear the government is going broke and I then try to get pinged by a speed camera to give them some money. Titling at windmills, methinks.

John

I think research in driverless cars will eventually result in driverless personal train carriages. The infrastructure is already available, they'll only have to start manufacturing individual carriages that can be launched on demand when passengers show up. Kinda like the little cable cars they have in some ski resorts where they don't want to run the whole thing all the time for varying numbers of passengers. Even better, you can string these together and have a train (ha!) for energy and time saving.

Driverless cars (in a strict sense) are not feasible with current GPS signal problems, especially in cities with big buildings everywhere that scramble the signal and put roads on top of buildings. Short of embedding control sensors in the road like they have done in some factories where car-like robots carry part/subassemblies from one part of the factory to another I don't think we can guarantee (yet) the driverless car won't run amok. Given the costs of such an enterprise, I would hazard a guess Australia would see such cars about the same time we will be able to afford personal flying pigs.

Oh, and by the way, driverless small trains that work on demand already exist. Singapore Airport is one place, Switzerland has a few running up and down their mountains and I am sure there are others I don't know of. The train in Singapore airport runs on its own schedule, but some of the mountain climbing trains in Switzerland run only when passengers climb aboard and press a button. Kinda like an elevator.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I only get out in the 2CV when I hear the government is going broke and I then try to get pinged by a speed camera to give them some money.
    John
    The only way a 2CV is going to exceed the speed limit is going down a 2km vertical mineshaft.
    While there are a few mineshafts around Newcastle none (to my knowledge) are fitted with speed cameras near the bottom.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

JBN

Don't laugh but the last time I lost my licence was when I commuted from Sutherland to Parramatta daily in a 2CV. Admittedly, it was in the days where the authorities placed speed cameras in innocuous unmarked cars without warning signs. I was also working until 9 or 10 pm at night and the occasional drive home resulted in a flash of light and the ping on the cash register.

Interestingly, I have never been booked in a 2CV by a police officer. They have had a bead drawn on me a few times with a laser but have just stared as I drove by, trying to work out what this contraption is. I also have my front number plate bent around the bonnet, which halves the target for their lasers. It is the number plate that they like to target as it is reflective, every car has one, it is nearly always in the same position (central and low near/on the bumper bar).

But you a right, it is more efficient to score speeding fines in the Xantia. One is due on the 16th of this month, just a few days away.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    No, I'm not saying the more affluent are better drivers.
    So you're saying that only poor people drive BMWs and Audis and SUVs? I have never read so much tosh in one short post.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofaus View Post
    So you're saying that only poor people drive BMWs and Audis and SUVs? I have never read so much tosh in one short post.
    You are putting words in my mouth! What was I really saying, do you think? Plus if you think that my post was all tosh, you need to read a lot more Aussiefrog member contributions.......

Thread Information