Renault Scenic Advice
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Berridale

Thread: Renault Scenic Advice

Tadpole

Default Renault Scenic Advice

Hi. I am new to this forum so I hope it is ok to post this. I am not at all technical so find a lot of the info a bit over my head. I drive 2001 Renault Laguna and have really enjoyed it, but now want to try out another model Renault. I am thinking of a scenic but can probably only afford the earlier model. Someone has told me they can have problems with the automatic transmission where they go into "safe mode". I had this problem with a brand new Peugeot 307 I owned and Peugeot refused to acknowledge the problem, so I have been turned off the company ever since. I don't want to have this problem again, and I suspect it is hard to tell if it is a problem with the vehicle even in a test drive. Can someone tell me if this is true?. I also have been told they can have trouble with the electronics in the dashboard and it has to be completely replaced. Is this all true? Am I better going for a series one or two, or doesn't it matter?Thank you for your help in anticipation.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Chimonade; 11th September 2015 at 11:03 PM.

My wife had a 2002 scenic auto, and now has a 2007 scenic auto. I had a 2003 Laguna auto. We had no problems with either autos or dashes in the scenics; but had to put a new gearbox in the Laguna at 6-8k. The scenic, series 2 has been remarkably trouble free.

Make sure you look for a good service history; timing belt changes on schedule and a car with receipts and you should not go too far wrong.

Ps, you may get a better response posting in the Renault sub forum.
    KB

Tadpole

Default Renault Scenic Advice

Thank you so much for that. I am using my IPad and found it difficult but have finally worked it out.
    Last edited by Chimonade; 11th September 2015 at 11:01 PM.

Hi there - if you're looking for info on their service issues - I have found the English website 'Hones John' good for reasonably reliable stats, from where there are a lot more than we have here!
    Site: Car Reviews | Honest John
    Cheers
    Bryce
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Tadpole

Thank you

Fellow Frogger!

Scenic timing belt?
    I am in the middle of doing my belt and found today the smooth idle wheel has a full width split down to the bearing.
    Very lucky it was found.
    I noticed the engine noise had changed , a bit of a whine .
    Lucky escape from a disaster.

The belt wasn't too bad but my guess is that the pulleys were not changed last service.
    Tensioner looks recent like the belt. Good service history on paper...........
    It's a bugger of a job but if your in that area do it all properly with new parts!
    Fordman likes this.

Hello Chimomade,

The short answer is yes, the DP0 gearbox (which is the same as the AL4 in PSA vehicles, maybe your 307 too) that is in the earlier Scenics can have problems with the gearboxes. This is usually caused by faulty solenoids and the 'oily bits' like gears, bands, etc, are usually quite reliable. The fault usually makes itself known by dropping into limp mode well before the box fails completely. Switching the motor off for about 30 seconds usually resets the box and it might be good for days or hours before the fault returns. But it will get progressively worse until it happens all the time and eventually won't reset and then of course it must be fixed.
    They can be replaced with the gearbox in-situ and it's about a grand to replaces the solenoids at a workshop and of course far cheaper if you do it yourself.
    But if you get a good one they could go one for the life of the vehicle without ever giving a problem.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

We have had 2 Series 1 autos plus a Series 2 auto, only the Series 2 actually gave any transmission problems (solenoid).
    I actually prefer the earlier model to drive and for practicality.
    Still have 1 of the S1s with well over 250,000kms on it and still going fine in my daughters care.
    Planning to keep it until it is run into the ground now.
    Only common issue on both S1s we had was the crank sensor getting fouled up and causing dodgy starting, remove it and clean or take the first aid method of spraying with degreaser.

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    Scenic timing belt?
    I am in the middle of doing my belt and found today the smooth idle wheel has a full width split down to the bearing.
    Very lucky it was found.
    I noticed the engine noise had changed , a bit of a whine .
    Lucky escape from a disaster.

The belt wasn't too bad but my guess is that the pulleys were not changed last service.
    Tensioner looks recent like the belt. Good service history on paper...........
    It's a bugger of a job but if your in that area do it all properly with new parts!
    Depending how long ago (in years) the belt was changed, the pulley may have been changed with it. Others experience, including mine, is that if kms are low and you stretch the time out to 5 or 6 years, that plastic pulley is likely to be cracked. Then again, it may well be cracked at 4 years old, I wouldn't know, I refuse to change mine at 40k. There is discussion elsewhere on this forum with some argument as to whether it is a design fault or not. It would appear that the 4 year belt change recommendation is more about the pulleys than the belt itself, which looks strong enough to last the 100k interval regardless of age.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information