How hard a hit to do this?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: How hard a hit to do this?

1000+ Posts

Default How hard a hit to do this?

Not sure how old this WRX is, but I thought modern cars were not supposed to do this!!

Advertisement

Car snaps in half in Perth crash as two people escape serious injury - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Cheers

Alec

http://i.imgur.com/AMnKigF.gifv
    saw this on reddit a while back

these are at 125 mph

I'm going to surmise it was cut by emergency crews after becoming part broken and wrapped around the tree or pole.

1000+ Posts

could have been a cut and shut job
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Saw this on local news tonight. Yes, it broke in half in the "accident" not from the rescuers. Happened at around 2.00am, witness interviewed saw it happen from taxi he was in. He suggested the WRX doing 150km/hr on suburban road. Driver actually ran off leaving girl friend lying on road. He was apprehended later. Alcohol affected. Car not stolen but borrowed from family or friend. Both in hospital but no serious injury - lucky is an understatement.

As to the body breaking in half, I think this looks like an early model (pre 2001) and I believe later models were somewhat heavier than the early ones. However, as has been seen in many accidents, hitting a solid post/tree sideways at stupidly high speeds is not something that cars are designed to withstand, the forces would be incredible. I don't think curtain airbags would have saved rear seat passengers if there had been any.

Just incredibly lucky and stupid people.

Chris M.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Driver was a bit of a coward,hmm? 'Car was borrowed from a Family or friend'..that won't sit well with the Police.

There used to be a Subaru wrecker next to a Renault wrecker in Spray Ave, Mordialloc years ago. Every Subaru in their yard was a WRX and there were lots and lots of them.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Landlord still gets His fair share of them once in awhile. The 'Tuner' Crowd hates Him because He just throws them into a huge pile...along with anything else He feels is 'Total--Shit.'

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    There used to be a Subaru wrecker next to a Renault wrecker in Spray Ave, Mordialloc years ago. Every Subaru in their yard was a WRX and there were lots and lots of them.......
    WRX ~ Wrecks - phonetically they sound the same. I think there may have been an improvement in the quality of the lamp posts.

John
    Geoff in Gully likes this.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post

http://i.imgur.com/AMnKigF.gifv
    saw this on reddit a while back

these are at 125 mph
    Where is this particular blackspot Lion5? I certainly want to avoid it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    There was some statistic (of which I am unable to prove) where Subaru was at one time unique in selling more of the top-of-the-range (WRX) than the base vehicle (Impreza). No one wanted an Impreza, but waiting lists for WRX versions. Their early years rally wins made them very popular. Including very popular with car thieves for an exciting joy ride - causing them to introduce a keypad style security system just to make them insurable in Australia.

Well regarded as a "hoon" car, all goes together to ensure plenty of them end up in a wreckers yard, whether driven by their owners or stealers. They are a very powerful unit in a reasonably affordable car.

Hopefully, my own car will avoid such an untimely end.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information