• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 504-504-504

Thread: 2015 last Mattara Hill Climb at King Edward Park

1000+ Posts

Default 2015 last Mattara Hill Climb at King Edward Park

Hi,
    This may not be strictly in the right place here so shift it if deemed incorrect.
    However there have been plenty of Frogs go up the hill, and over the edge too probably, over the years.
    Sad but "progress" I guess !

Final park run for Mattara Hill Climb | Newcastle Herald
    Jaahn

Advertisement

Sad day, was a great event. First spectated in 1950s watching Austin A30s "run" the course with my father.
    Never got to compete there but the Pirelli tyres from my Bellett did the run on a dealer Bellett. The radiator out of my 404 also did the climb in a supercharged 404.
    Paul.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Not much comment on this loss of motoring history.

How many people here have been up King Edward Park in competition ? I have not but been support for a couple of people and watched quite a few events over the years.

However back "in the good ol'days" it was a Saturday night ritual to do the climb as far as it was open to the public, in my Reno 750, sometimes with the company of other cars, and drift sideways through the 'sunken gardens'. The uphill parts were beyond the power range of the 750 I even managed a couple of runs up 'Percys pinch' on the night between the hill climb days, when it was left open. Not allowed for years.

I have even been up there as a passenger in a frightening run in a Ford Pilot. Sideways and extreme body roll wheel spinning everywhere. Next Sat night he put it over the edge down onto the rocks. On his own and not hurt and no seat belts either. The council insisted on him getting the car shifted too. A big drain on an apprentice wage.

Ahhh the past Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Not much comment on this loss of motoring history.

How many people here have been up King Edward Park in competition ? I have not but been support for a couple of people and watched quite a few events over the years.

However back "in the good ol'days" it was a Saturday night ritual to do the climb as far as it was open to the public, in my Reno 750, sometimes with the company of other cars, and drift sideways through the 'sunken gardens'. The uphill parts were beyond the power range of the 750 I even managed a couple of runs up 'Percys pinch' on the night between the hill climb days, when it was left open. Not allowed for years.

I have even been up there as a passenger in a frightening run in a Ford Pilot. Sideways and extreme body roll wheel spinning everywhere. Next Sat night he put it over the edge down onto the rocks. On his own and not hurt and no seat belts either. The council insisted on him getting the car shifted too. A big drain on an apprentice wage.

Ahhh the past Jaahn
    I watched a few when stationed at Willytown. A festival atmosphere (Good old Mattara!) and a bit of noise and excitement, followed by a short hike down to one of the Hunter St pubs to wash it all down! Good memories, indeed!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information