Ya gotta be lucky sometimes.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Ya gotta be lucky sometimes.

A mate of mine bought a 94 Pug 504 SRi a couple of years back.
    Been a nice car but had a problem right from day one.
    Without warning it stops.....just like the key was turned off. Sometimes it restarts straight away whilst other times (like last week) it comes home on a recovery truck. Once on the ground, the local grease monkey calls in with toolbox in hand, hits the key & away she goes again. He has been on 1000klm+ trips with no worry but more often than not it all happens when he drives from his town to mine, stays there a few hours & is halfway home & plop....she dies on him.
    The locals have replaced leads, coils, filters etc and it will go OK for a couple of weeks & then it catches him out again.
    A few months back we found a leaky vacuum hose & after that was fixed it went for about 4 months OK until the latest episode.
    In desperation, he dropped it at my place, tossed me the keys & asked me to use it for a week. It's behaved itself perfectly, so yesterday I had it in the yard idling with teh bonnet up while I collected keys etc before heading off. Got a phone call, then another distraction and it was a case of suddenly thinking "Oh shit!! I've left that bloody car running out there!!" I go out to it, give it the mandatory couple of revs, shrug the shoulders and as any CX owner will do, I drop the bonnet instead of pressing it shut (CX owners do this to prevent the appearance of 'bumprints' on the large bonnet if pushed) and it stops like I'd turned the key!
    Hit the key & it starts again first go....so I again lift the bonnet and start hitting things and suddenly it starts getting all stuttery. At the top of teh radiator, directly behind the bonnet catch, there's a plate with a sensor mounted on it that was connected to a partially disconnected cruise control; whenever I hit this, the engine either stuttered or stopped. Apparently it's the M.A.P. sensor, so I disconnected the vacuum line to it and reinforced the wires to the plug connected to it using tape. Took it for a drive & no stutters or deadspots as was happening previous on occasions so all we can do is hold our breaths & see what happens.
    I'll post if I hear any more, but thought I'd put the story on here because I know we have had some owners having similar problems in times gone by & they inevtably seem to get told it's something serious or expensive when they take it to a repairer. If this fixes this one, it proves that whilst it might be, it doesn't have to be.

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    A mate of mine bought a 94 Pug 504 SRi a couple of years back.
    Don't mean to be picky (wouldn't expect you to know, being a Cit man and all ) but do you mean a Pug 405 SRi. As nice as they are, 504's weren't made in 1994

It's always the simple things isn't it!!

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

in the 306 the car wouldn't stop running but if after a run i stop it go away fro a while and return the thing wouldn't start

i'd jump in, put the key in and all would light up then nothing. pop the bonnet and look everywhere without finding anything then i thought i'll just wriggle the pos terminal

jump in and she starts, reset the clock and off i'd go

the bloody thing still has a terminal from the 203 days

so in my drawer i have a new one to go on the car when i get around to it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Don't mean to be picky (wouldn't expect you to know, being a Cit man and all ) but do you mean a Pug 405 SRi. As nice as they are, 504's weren't made in 1994

It's always the simple things isn't it!!

Derek.
    Wassamatta right numbers; wrong order....

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Wassamatta right numbers; wrong order....

Alan S
    I was just teasing
    The "It's the simple things" was in reference to the poorly disconnected cruise control.

Derek.

Thread Information