French car wreckers for sale in QLD
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: French car wreckers for sale in QLD

Fellow Frogger!

Default French car wreckers for sale in QLD

Well pickle me grandmother. I drove past the French Car wrecker in Toowoomba today. Check this out.

14 Boothby Street Drayton Qld 4350 - Residential Land for Sale #201245393 - realestate.com.au

Advertisement

Probably means all the rusted cars will be sent to the crusher..

Wow would love just to walk around in there and check the scrap out!!!
    Ron Boulton likes this.

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Fellow Frogger!

The potential of that place is just untapped. I've been there a few times and have just given up because it's almost impossible to buy anything there. The last time I went there in the hope of getting a seat base to replace the seat base in my 504 GLD(and I'd buy a whole seat if necessary, no problems) but even that was too hard.
    I'd love to get in there with a heap of three inch pipe, and weld up a couple of dozen "horses" to straddle cars so that other cars could be sat on the horses over the top of other cars, basically so the cars would be stacked two high, with safety and stability. I'd arrange them in aisles, by make, with models grouped together. I'd get a few knowledgeable froggers in there to help identify the parts that you just KNOW would be laying on the ground where they've fallen, and any unknown or useless parts would go into a big skip out the front to be taken to Mr Sims.
    Then it'd be good to be able to let people come and get there own parts, like they do at the pick-a-part places in Brisbane and Ipswich. People could come and get the parts they need, the money'd come in, and everybody would hopefully be happier. That would give the proprietor time to get out there and pull the parts that need to be posted off to satisfy customers from interstate.
    I'm sure there'd be alot of good parts in amongst what looks like a bomb blast zone............

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    The potential of that place is just untapped. I've been there a few times and have just given up because it's almost impossible to buy anything there. The last time I went there in the hope of getting a seat base to replace the seat base in my 504 GLD(and I'd buy a whole seat if necessary, no problems) but even that was too hard.
    I'd love to get in there with a heap of three inch pipe, and weld up a couple of dozen "horses" to straddle cars so that other cars could be sat on the horses over the top of other cars, basically so the cars would be stacked two high, with safety and stability. I'd arrange them in aisles, by make, with models grouped together. I'd get a few knowledgeable froggers in there to help identify the parts that you just KNOW would be laying on the ground where they've fallen, and any unknown or useless parts would go into a big skip out the front to be taken to Mr Sims.
    Then it'd be good to be able to let people come and get there own parts, like they do at the pick-a-part places in Brisbane and Ipswich. People could come and get the parts they need, the money'd come in, and everybody would hopefully be happier. That would give the proprietor time to get out there and pull the parts that need to be posted off to satisfy customers from interstate.
    I'm sure there'd be alot of good parts in amongst what looks like a bomb blast zone............
    Just raid the piggy bank and do it
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Is that an R4 panel van in there?

Fellow Frogger!

Sure looks like it in the photo. He's got all kinds of interesting stuff jammed in here and buried under there. There's a 504 on a hoist that hasn't been lowered for YEARS (and I literally mean YEARS).....because there's that much crap underneath it. There's a SAAB 99EMS in there too. It's in the shed and still sports the silver livery and soccerball mags. I only caught a glimpse of the rear mudguard once and that peaked my interest, but you've gotta have a good look as it's almost completely buried under so much crap.
    I took a walk/climb around the yard the first time I went there and was amazed at the sort of stuff he's got there. And amazed at the way it seems to have built up.....it looks almost like he's gotten halfway through removing things for a customer and then been interrupted by a call from another customer and forgotten about the first customer to go and try and find something for the second customer.....and so on and so on.......
    He seems like a nice enough bloke, but (personally) I found him so frustrating to deal with that, one day, I left there frothing at the mouth and steaming from the ears, lol. I mean, the first time I went there, he took me around the yard and we talked about the various cars he's got there.....the man is obviously an enthusiast. It just seems like it's all gotten on top of him.
    I'm glad I don't live in Toowoomba, or I might be more tempted to go and see about buying the place or even buying into the business somehow, although that might be a recipe for a one way trip to the hospital in a straight-jacket.
    Like I said, a few a-frames and the weekend hire of an all-terrain forklift would be a good start. Get some order happening there. Straighten up the front fence and repair it as necessary......there's that much crap in there at the moment, and it's been left in such random places, that he can't even work on a car within the boundaries of the property anymore! I'm not kidding. Anyone who has been there will know that he has to work on them in the street out front.
    Occasionally, I actually feel sorry for him. But I realise that he's had the power to change this for a long time now and he hasn't and it's just a shame because, talking to the guy, it does seem to me that he's an enthusiast just like the rest of us.

Yeah, I'd love to go up there with a heap of pipe, a welder, and a forklift, but anyone who's been here knows that I need to organise my OWN workshop area here at home first. Doesn't stop me wanting to help that fella out though......

1000+ Posts

If thats the placed im thinking of, i baught stuff for my brothers 403 there some 40 years ago ,he was complaining about having to crush some of the old stuff to make room , then.i have recently tried to trace parts from there recently via multiple phone calls when i could get through . A heck of a nice guy ,i eventual gave up ,looks like a nice 504 wagon next the r4 van . Could be one heck of a clearing sale .pugs

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    Is that an R4 panel van in there?
    It most certainly is.
    A very early model evidenced by the lifting airflap below the windscreen.
    Probably no later than 1968.
    845cc and 3 speed all synchro gearbox, I would guess.
    Other people may provide more precise information.

Many years ago I twice tried to buy parts from him. I had arranged on the Friday that I would be there Saturday morning between 9 and 10am. I arrived a little after 9 both times to be told by his assistant that he did not know where he was (pre-mobiles) and did not know when he would be back, and that the assistant was unable to sell me anything. I waited 2 hours both times, and vowed to never go there again, and haven't.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Just wondering, is this or was this the person affectionately referred to in some circles as "the dill on the hill"?
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah that's him lol.....nice bloke but so hard to deal with....

1000+ Posts

Icon6 Like a dance - (foxtrot) Slow Slow quick quick (now you see it now you don't)

Usually die with the lot, can't take it with them, and the scrappies and surviving kin bulldoze the "junk"!! Story of life!!

they can only see the Gold in the land.....the rest is a nuisance to get rid of...

Good luck with mounting a rescue buy sell mission..

Ken

IWS

Is this the place where the yellow Daimler engined 203 is sitting and rotting away (with the owner refusing to sell)?

Fellow Frogger!

I rang him looking for R8 parts......that was my first contact with him. He said he had a whole car that would probably be a better proposition than the one I already had. I asked how long it had been since it had been on the road and he told me a few years. A young girl had apparently overheated it and brought it in for repairs, and he then bought it from her when she couldn't afford the quote.
    When I got there, the last rego sticker was from circa 1983!!! After a few months of being told he'd clear a path for me to get it out, week in, week out, I got the poops and turned up with my car trailer with suitable wire cutters to extract the car through the back fence bordering the railway line. I really wanted, he'd agreed to sell it, so (as far as I was concerned) I was having it, lol.
    If he agrees to sell you something, it seems you have to PRISE it from his hands, but all's good once he's got the cash in his hand.

Fellow Frogger!

But he does have amazing stuff there,back about 15 years ago i needed a new oil pressure guage for our imported 404 wagon. He retrieved one - new in the original box-but as it had a scratched face I asked if he had another, sure enough after vanishing into the depths he returned with another new one. Would there be anywhere else in the world that would have such stock? It would certainly make your eyes weep if it was all bulldozed as many cars are now just fe2o3.

Wow, I must have struck him the day after his wife was "nice" to him the night before.

I originally bought all the internals for my R17 rebuild back in 1986. He wanted the old liners/pistons as part trade and I got a good deal on that too, nice discount. I also bought a thermo fan for my R17 as I decided to ditch the belt driven fan and also bought an R16 cam-chain cover. He threw in a very nice R12 wooden Gear knob I took a liking too as well.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I'm looking at the R17 out in that paddock and wonder how much of it is left
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

well, I wish Barry well in whatever happens.
    Hopefully some sort of "fire sale" of bits will occur.
    cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, wandering around his yard that day, I could see that he does indeed have some amazing stuff in there.......and that was without being able to venture into the shed.
    I'm going to see him again at some stage in the not too distant future, I think. I'll have another go at getting a seat for my 504, and anything else I think of in the meantime. I'll make sure I set aside plenty of time.....perhaps go early in the day and not aim to be home before sundown. Then I won't get upset when I can't get in and out in a reasonable time frame.
    How good would it be to get a few blokes in there and straighten things up a bit for him? Even being able to walk to the front of his shed without climbing over stuff would have to be encouraging for him.
    Then again, maybe he's just "over it" and wants to retire. I think I'll have to go up for a visit.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    How good would it be to get a few blokes in there and straighten things up a bit for him? Even being able to walk to the front of his shed without climbing over stuff would have to be encouraging for him.
    Then again, maybe he's just "over it" and wants to retire. I think I'll have to go up for a visit.
    I'll be in that, give us a hoy when you're thinking of going

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Is this the place where the yellow Daimler engined 203 is sitting and rotting away (with the owner refusing to sell)?
    Yes..

Fellow Frogger!

Well, I'm sitting outside the yard as I type this. The gates are locked. I can hear a radio and theres a light on in the shed. No sign of Barry. There's a little brown R17 sitting out the front....such a great shape, those things.
    Took some photos. ...might post them later.
    I rang the agent handling the property listing....yes, Barry IS still with us lol. The agent isn't at liberty to divulge Barry's mobile number though. Wow. I swear there's even more stuff than there was LAST time I was here!

But the agent may be willing to pass your number to Barry. You might even get lucky, he might even call you.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Bet there's a few Joe Blakes in that lot!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information