Living with a race car..
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Living with a race car..

Default Living with a race car..

Lets assume now your loved ones are ok with you spending time in the shed, covered in gunk. And lets assume your work mates and boss are ok with you turning up late to things because you are broken down on the way to work because you were sure you filled it with oil.

Lets assume you don't really use your car much at the moment and more often or not the birds spend more time on it then you do.

But there is that rare weekend where you need to cart a Bb Tuba 200km to a contest, and the dog does need to go to the vet, and your partner's car is out getting that once yearly service...

God since as long as I dare admit the idea of a special something, sitting with rego out the front, gutted, with suspension all to hard, spare wheels in the shed with sticky rubber and a blue triangle somewhere on the rear quarter panel. Usually dripping oil on the road but that's ok, because you wont need it till next next weekend anyway.

Well this all sounds like a good bit of fun.

Something, when the moons and stars align, where you have that weekend, that one weekend, that glorious one free weekend you had scheduled 9 months ago, that one weekend where nothing has fallen off in the mean time and you can actually take it down to (insert closest race track) and drive it. Actually drive it.

It overheats before lunch but that's ok, there will be time for one last sprint in the afternoon, it will cool down in time. it really will! Then of course you sit looking at it once more overheated, smiling, not annoyed at the wait before you can drive it the 100km back home, stopping every 18km/s as the push the heater gauge just that little bit further with each leg. Whilst standing on the side of the road you note the outside rear rubber on the spares living where there rear seats would be in a conventional car have scrubbed oddly, you will be changing those bushes after all... Next weekend.

I'm at a position in my life where I have a smattering of tools, a shed perhaps big enough for at least most of the car to be in out of the rain. A partner without children, a slight disposable income I could redirect away from the playstations, SLR's and expensive cheeses. I mean.. when will this chance yet again show itself?

Further more I've never been super mechanically minded, enough to change the odd bearing and fix any electrical gremlin, but change a head gasket.

I deeply want to correct this.

The idea of a daily, well weekly driver I can break occasionally seems to tickle deep deep axons buried close to my thalamus.

But to the point.

I can't be the first with this burning desire. You there that have gone before me, that have gone back to nice cheese and SLR's, what was it like living with that car? That car you spent too much money on, you broke all to often, that wasn't that fast, that you hurt and welted things incorrectly but none the less, allowed you to tinker and explore as you did during those formative years..

Advertisement

Was it truly ghastly to pick up the milk in? Did your neighbours move from the sound of power tools at 2am in the morning? Did you significant other ban you from her car? .. What ever happened to that rental bond after that brake fluid killed the rose garden? Did you give up and go buy that sensible Corolla because sometimes a heater really really is important.

I'm In mind to buy a mostly clapped out, but running, 205 / 306 / Xsara / Daihatsu Charade / Swift / Yaris etc etc you know nothing not to rough, but at least something to pick up said milk once and then, something I can begin to cut rust out of, change cam timings, rip out crappy electrics, complain about exhaust leaks. Doesn't that all sound like fun? And then drive this slow POS as fast as possible, within an inch of it's life like once, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky.

Those of you that have done this..

Well talk me out of it.
    Last edited by bowie; 12th August 2015 at 06:09 PM.
    ducksonetime likes this.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Not going to try and talk you out of it, because it sounds like fun.
    Just as long as you have another way to get to work when it's pulled apart to replace that headgasket/clutch/suspension bushes/steering rack etc. you will be fine.

I reckon an early Berlingo is awfully good fun. The 1.4 is quite revvy and makes a good noise on full throttle. Not much soundproofing and a plastic dash so it feels quite raw.

Lower it for better handling, fit some Mi16 wheels with sticky rubber and off you go. If it breaks down you can sleep in it, if you want to take a friend camping there is room inside for people or holiday crap, it is dead simple to fix and quite frugal on petrol.

The less expensive route is to buy something someone has already sunk money into and just drive it without having to build it. Rule of thumb is a race is worth half what it cost to build.
    StephineS and lozenge like this.
    KB

I reckon addo's got it in one.

If we had the Dacia Logan MCV, I would have suggested that. The Berlingo is just another way of saying it (it seems).

And a short confession. The modifying brigade gave me this idea. Next time I visit birthplace, the MCV I usually borrow off my friend is going to the Nurburgring. If I manage to pull a sub-10 minute lap in that thing, I hope to launch a new fad: find the crappiest car that can do it. I am genuinely curious if modern sub 10K hardware can beat last decade's modified "creme".
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

a berlingo would be gold, i have had some small reveries from time to time of being an Uber taxi in a 205 (they won't allow it, too old) thrashing in and out of traffic then be known as Sydney's best uber driver because he gets people to where they want to be QUICKLY.
    or a mad berlingo delivery dude, roaring away in urban sydney, delivering post trading under an independent emergency courier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Just as long as you have another way to get to work when it's pulled apart to replace that headgasket/clutch/suspension bushes/steering rack etc. you will be fine.
    I would also add, make sure you have enough garage space that the beast can sit laid up for significant periods without being an eyesore / robbing your child of their only place to play games / placing stress on marital harmony etc. Otherwise, having it in parts will wear very quickly.
    Fingers likes this.

So long story short; buy someone else's van, and make sure you have another van for when your van is broken.

You guy's haven't changed a bit
    Last edited by bowie; 13th August 2015 at 10:11 AM.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

COL

My advice is to have 2 cars.

#1 Daily driver that is reliable that you do not have to do anything to except schedule servicing.

#2 The race car/toy what ever you want to call it because you will end up breaking it in some way, its to be enjoyed not in just driving but also working on it. It is to stressful to race on Sunday and have to go home and prepare it or repair it so that you can drive to work on Monday.

Also the other advice above needs to be heeded.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Or...just do what I did,and somehow end up with 104 of 'em. THEN you'll need a few Buildings,and THEN.................
    Fingers likes this.

This Idea has always excited me, I am 23, and so far have had the following, 2 Audi 80's, a 300td Merc, 2 306's and my first car/Headache a 1600 70' Bettle all under $700, all lasted atlest 1 year. a year ago i bought a sensible, reliable, safe, roomy and comfy Nissan Elgrand. I then picked up a GTI6 for $400 (to be fair ivput a bit into it now) about 3 months after because i was so bored of not wondering when something would go BANG.
    When you can get something as remarkable yet un-remarkable for such little money (a couple months worth or Brie for the average Cheese aficionado) the life lessons (patience, anger management, self satisfaction and pride to name a few) and knowledge that can really only be gained by getting your hands dirty are reward enough for that spare cheese money, then, you do get that one weekend, that one beautiful weekend, and for a little while, inbetween the bangs, you get to bask in the glory of your unremarkable POS, that it truly yours.
    Ofcourse, to pick something up that is already built is cheaper, but then i fear that the most in portent part of the POS relationship is missed.

That really is the value in this adventure. That POS relationship.

Yeah fudge it, I'm going to start looking properly for my unremarkable pos hatch.
    Codman and Fingers like this.

1000+ Posts

look for an early MX5, MR2 or MR2 spyder, Lotus Elan
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

To be thinking this you have been researching fun vintage cars right ???

bowie likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Don't forget the bloke who put a Clio Sport motor in a Scenic!
    Codman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    look for an early MX5, MR2 or MR2 spyder, Lotus Elan
    If I cant find a 205 / 306 dirty enough, I might look at a Daihatsu Charade style something or other. There are a could going for $400 - $500. There is a SOHC 1.6 engine from the as POS like Applause that can be dumped in the front, and the newer models (after 2003) that come with a 1L high compression 3cyl engine, well there is a high compression 1.3L 4cly out of the Sirion (and a turbo variant from Nipon) that drops in. And equally, they are nearly at scrap prices now. (well not the turbo one) The scrappy 1.3L is good for about 90hp, and these things weight 700od kg. That's enough fun to start with.

Going in back in time with the older looking things, the 1.6 out of the applause gives similar HP to the new 1.3L, but with a bit more torque. They are proper scrap prices now.

BUT! first to look for dirty 306's / 205's

G200 with the Applause 1.6 is the basics of a Charade DeTomaso

Honda Civic.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Nah. Of all the mentions 'till now, I would say none fits.

Get an early RWD Corolla wagon. That's proper fun. If you're lucky you might score a freebie on Gumtree.

Or a completely molested AE86 (those are actually going to be worth real money one day) say a stripped shell off some bogan in Adelaide, and start piecing the puzzle together.
    StephineS likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

yeah good luck finding an AE86 for throw away money, and there is much merit in old RWD corollas, I had to check the price on car sales and holy heck! .. Pass..

And yes I did a bit of reading about the Daihatsu's, they looked ok. Proper rear end, light, cheap, parts everywhere, I went to the forum to post a few detailed questions and got banned

OH Gord - Daiforum Newbie room - Daiforum.net (Australia's Daihatsu Fan Forum)

Ain't no one got a sense of humour anymore?

Ah well, rough 205 / 306 it is

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Nah. Of all the mentions 'till now, I would say none fits.

Get an early RWD Corolla wagon. That's proper fun. If you're lucky you might score a freebie on Gumtree.

Or a completely molested AE86 (those are actually going to be worth real money one day) say a stripped shell off some bogan in Adelaide, and start piecing the puzzle together.
    A Guy @ the Dealership has a Tan Coloured 1973 Toyata Wagon with a '11 6.0 LS-1 Engine in it. The Car's insane. Of course,Aussies have been stuffing V8's into 'em for quite some time now.

Bang for your bucks, nothing will beat a cheap arse Commodore, just ask any pimply face P plater.
    RWD, V8, supercharged V8, V6, supercharged V6, straight 6, turbo-ed 6, even a rare 4, take your pick and they are relatively simple with plenty of room to work on.
    If you get stuck a neighbour or mate will know what to look for and any average mechanic will be happy to work on them.
    Parts can be found just about anywhere and there is an after market supply that can cater for a novice on a tight budget to the professional with no budget.
    I'd go for a earlier lighter model and bung in some later model upgrades
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

That takes away too much of the fun! Unless he wants to do a VR V6 thermostat...

There's a lot to be said for innocuous body styles, and any form of "traditional Aussie family car" is a giveaway. Maybe Kenny's $600 R12 could be turbocharged...

You are all forgetting, it needs to fit in my shed. thankfully a Commodore won't

And it's not about setting the world on fire, it's about learning how to weld and change clutches. Kenny's R12 does look interesting.... But he hasn't replied to my text. What a Jerk.

1000+ Posts

BEFORE YOU BUY/&/OR DO A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G ELSE.........Build MORE Sheds!! You know it makes sense.
    27of85 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information