• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: New problem with Aussiefrogs website

Default New problem with Aussiefrogs website

Hi All,

Advertisement

I've had a wee bit of computer trouble with pop-up advertisements and have finally fixed it. Everything is fine and fast again BUT, and it is a big BUT, the only website I use which isn't behaving now is Aussiefrogs! Frustrating doesn't come near......

I can obviously start threads! I can read everything but if I try and do a "like" or reply to a thread the computer just sits with the little "thinking, please wait" circle going round and round and absolutely nothing more happens.

It must be a setting, somewhere, I suppose.

Any ideas please?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hmm. One reply has appeared, but only after I went to the home page and back. I tried editing the first post on this thread to say that, but it just sat thinking, so I'm trying a "quick reply". No sign of it working at all, but I'll go to the Home setting and see if it magically posts.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

So, I can do a "like" or a "quick reply", but I can only see them if I go back to the home page and then, when I go back to the thread, the reply or like is there! Hmm.

Is anybody else experiencing this?
    GreenBlood likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    So, I can do a "like" or a "quick reply", but I can only see them if I go back to the home page and then, when I go back to the thread, the reply or like is there! Hmm.

Is anybody else experiencing this?
    No Problems here John - you just received a bonus 'like'

Cheers
    Chris
    Kenfuego likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

I can't advise on this case because I can't duplicate it now, but similar delays have happened to me in the past.

I have then set up an intermediary stage to examine all connections and transactions made by the browser when on the site, and it has always been a delayed response from the jQuery server. For some reason AF sends you off to collect the javascript library code from another site.

AF works in a basic way with javascript disabled, but the little bells and whistles require jQuery. Personally I'd give up jQuery, as it is now rarely necessary and frequently leads to a great number of site coding errors.

PS Just set up the intercept again. code.jquery.com hangs around now for about 200 ms before replying. Congestion can extend this.
    Last edited by seasink; 1st August 2015 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I can't advise on this case because I can't duplicate it now, but similar delays have happened to me in the past.

I have then set up an intermediary stage to examine all connections and transactions made by the browser when on the site, and it has always been a delayed response from the jQuery server. For some reason AF sends you off to collect the javascript library code from another site.

AF works in a basic way with javascript disabled, but the little bells and whistles require jQuery. Personally I'd give up jQuery, as it is now rarely necessary and frequently leads to a great number of site coding errors.
    Yes, I've experienced similar problems. To give a simple explanation, the delay is AF waiting for another, external, website to obtain instructions in order to proceed. The delay is cause by the external website not responding quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Yes, I've experienced similar problems. To give a simple explanation, the delay is AF waiting for another, external, website to obtain instructions in order to proceed. The delay is cause by the external website not responding quickly enough.
    OK, I've experienced lag on occasions, sometimes that would last for up to 10 minutes before returning to normal. At the moment AF is lighting fast for me.

Given that John is having this problem at the same time that others are not, does your (seasink and robmac) explanation still fit?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

1000+ Posts

It's hard to tell because I'm not at JohnW's place on his internet connection.

When I connected to AF just now, it is taking about 200 ms to reach code.jquery.com which is at an AboveNet server in the USA. The server took 194 ms to acknowledge my request and was quite quick thereafter. The problem is likely to be congestion anywhere between here and AboveNet, plus the server being over-busy at that time. An improvement would be keeping all code locally.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It's hard to tell because I'm not at JohnW's place on his internet connection.

When I connected to AF just now, it is taking about 200 ms to reach code.jquery.com which is at an AboveNet server in the USA. The server took 194 ms to acknowledge my request and was quite quick thereafter. The problem is likely to be congestion anywhere between here and AboveNet, plus the server being over-busy at that time. An improvement would be keeping all code locally.

Alrighty, I'll pass your advice onto gibgib - I know nothing!

Back to my question though, is it possible under your analysis (delayed response from the jQuery server) that one user can have a problem and at the same time others do not? John is on the west coast, does that make a difference?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thanks guys.

I suspect I have a settings problem somewhere, really. Whatever I click on across the bottom of a post (be it "reply", "reply with quote" or "Like/Unlike", all that happens is a little ring of dots appears and rotates. Right now I've clicked on "reply" and "reply with quote" and have two such circles of dots rotating where I clicked on them, as I type. I will now click on "Home" and hope this appears where it should!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Thanks guys.

I suspect I have a settings problem somewhere, really. Whatever I click on across the bottom of a post (be it "reply", "reply with quote" or "Like/Unlike", all that happens is a little ring of dots appears and rotates. Right now I've clicked on "reply" and "reply with quote" and have two such circles of dots rotating where I clicked on them, as I type. I will now click on "Home" and hope this appears where it should!
    I'll wait for those more informed, in the meantime John, maybe try using a different browser?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thanks guys.

The rotating "clock" face is a progress indicator. IE your browser is awaiting a response from AFserver/ af provider server. I get the same thing on occasions.

You need to remember your ISP and your connection speed/reliability will have a bearing on all these matters.

I have very little issues with AF as a website it's nearly always It's reachable and blindingly fast in all areas.

You can test your connection here: http://www.speedtest.net/

For example...
    New problem with Aussiefrogs website-ping.jpg

Latency (ping time) is a factor in the problems you are experiencing.
    Last edited by robmac; 1st August 2015 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks for that.

Aussiefrogs has always been the same, that is fast, always, wherever I am. And all other sites, right now, are fast. However, Aussiefrogs sits indefinitely when I try any of the responses I listed. Ten minutes, 30 minutes etc, but if I click on "Home", as I am about to, the reply is posted. Nothing else works! So I suspect the problem is here not connections. No other website is doing the same to me and this started two days ago. Very odd. I have rebooted.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Thanks for that.

Aussiefrogs has always been the same, that is fast, always, wherever I am. And all other sites, right now, are fast. However, Aussiefrogs sits indefinitely when I try any of the responses I listed. Ten minutes, 30 minutes etc, but if I click on "Home", as I am about to, the reply is posted. Nothing else works! So I suspect the problem is here not connections. No other website is doing the same to me and this started two days ago. Very odd. I have rebooted.
    I have none of what you describe. AF is blasting along reliably for me.

Thanks for that.

Hi John,
    It does sound more and more like a problem at your end, I'd really like you to try a different browser - that may pinpoint the problem for you.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

So far as delays at the American server are concerned - they can affect us all, and this can be coded around. Just keep everything local. Trans-Australia and Trans-Pacific routes are chosen by our individual ISPs, and they can also congest at times.

I don't know how JohnW disabled unwanted content, but the easiest way would be to install something like Fanboy's list in the browser which is unlikely to have unwanted side effects. If you are doing it by scripting, check the script!

If you have inadvertently disabled javascript it will affect AF formatting. Eg, Notifications wil bring up stuff all run together.

I'm tipping it's ISP. latency issue too.

Who is your ISP ?

ISP is iinet. Actually the other computer, laptop, is fine, so it MUST be my settings. Very odd. I'll continue playing, and thanks again for all the advice and comments.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Icon6

G'day,
    has your problem been fixed?
    Iinet seem to have a few problems of their own.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    has your problem been fixed?
    Iinet seem to have a few problems of their own.
    Well I'll be Bu***ed!! I've disabled a couple of "add-ons" and changed the security settings a wee bit and all has come good.

Wish I'd written it down.....

Many thanks again to all.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Well I'll be Bu***ed!! I've disabled a couple of "add-ons" and changed the security settings a wee bit and all has come good.

Wish I'd written it down.....

Many thanks again to all.
    Possibly the "anti phishing" security option. When you have that set the "integrity " of site you are about to access is checked against a database.. you guessed.. on another web server.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Possibly the "anti phishing" security option. When you have that set the "integrity " of site you are about to access is checked against a database.. you guessed.. on another web server.
    Yes, could be. Many thanks again to you and the others. Lovely to get so much advice so quickly!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information