A new market for Norton, McAfee et. al?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: A new market for Norton, McAfee et. al?

1000+ Posts

Default A new market for Norton, McAfee et. al?

Are French cars any more secure? Pretty sure my old bombs aren't Internet connected

Cybersecurity researchers use the internet to hack into car, turn off engine as it drives - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Advertisement

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

It's a particular Mickey Mouse system, which Like Windoze wasn't originally designed to be secure. One day the manufacturers will get the sense to use standardised non-proprietary systems - their IP anal retentiveness actually holds them back (as well as making a black market for Lexia).

JBN

I won't be trading in the 2CV any time soon. Anyhow, I don't need a Jeep because I don't have any lawn to mow (or not mow).

John
    Fordman and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Default BS new cars :)

Hi
    Well this is a classic example of where car 'design' is heading. Why do they need to be internet connected anyway.

In general people are just obsessed with the modern technology, and I would argue, to the total oblivion of social norms and manners ! Now we must include auto common sense

I better get that old 2CV on the road in a rearguard defense too.
    Jaahn from the last century.

I asked that question several years ago when they started internet connecting fridges.
    So they could automatically do your shopping, so they said.

Ha!
    There is a solution to every problem. There is a problem with every solution.
    • Renault R4L '63 - Descartes
    • Renault R4L '64 - Lucy
    • Renault Megane '07 - too young to have a name...

1000+ Posts

My distrust factor gets raised with each disclosure of technology glitches due to RF interference or E.M.F disruption to the working of so called (by authorities) infallible electronic based devices, and this is just another example. Is it just a cost factor that prevents motor car manufacturers from making circuit boards and equipment immune to such effects?

When I was looking into the effects on speed measuring devices, the Australian Standards were well aware of such problems, but instead of the technicians owning up to the issues and making sure the devices were protected to the original standard, the experts decided to push for a change in the Australian Standards as otherwise most speed measuring devices would fail the old criteria for siting where stray signals could interfere i.e. without that change in the standard each proposed site would need to be screened for RF or EMF during the period of operation, but that was too hard hence the change for the standards instead.

Ass backwards thinking. IMHO!

Ken

1000+ Posts

This one isn't interference. It's an internet-connected (USA Sprint) vehicle info/entertainment system that is also an entry into the vehicle computer. They have now patched that last bit, but you wonder why it was there in the first place.

But you can see why they SNAFUed. It supposedly allows a smartphone to do things like remote engine start, obtaining the location of the vehicle, and activating anti-theft features. Uconnect® Access for Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT , Jeep & Ram Dumb really. If the IP address of the vehicle could be detected (and notwithstanding that it changes, it can be) the system is open to probing and possible attack.

Some articles about this problem almost issue a challenge to hackers and coders from the discoverers. Not a bright idea.

What it shows most clearly is that car related companies aren't good at operating systems. Secure open source embedded systems are well established and massively scrutinised, but the makers simply won't accept that anyone should see what's inside their computing devices. It isn't that they are computational marvels - they are mostly input reading from the sensors and look up tables.

PS Google (Android) and Apple are both working on getting their smartphone systems onto a car as the entertainment system. Eg, Android Auto. One hopes they won't get access to the vehicle computers.
    Last edited by seasink; 24th July 2015 at 01:39 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    This one isn't interference. It's an internet-connected (USA Sprint) vehicle info/entertainment system that is also an entry into the vehicle computer. They have now patched that last bit, but you wonder why it was there in the first place.

But you can see why they SNAFUed. It supposedly allows a smartphone to do things like remote engine start, obtaining the location of the vehicle, and activating anti-theft features. Uconnect® Access for Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT , Jeep & Ram Dumb really. If the IP address of the vehicle could be detected (and notwithstanding that it changes, it can be) the system is open to probing and possible attack.

Some articles about this problem almost issue a challenge to hackers and coders from the discoverers. Not a bright idea.

What it shows most clearly is that car related companies aren't good at operating systems. Secure open source embedded systems are well established and massively scrutinised, but the makers simply won't accept that anyone should see what's inside their computing devices. It isn't that they are computational marvels - they are mostly input reading from the sensors and look up tables.

PS Google (Android) and Apple are both working on getting their smartphone systems onto a car as the entertainment system. Eg, Android Auto. One hopes they won't get access to the vehicle computers.
    The question I ask is why a car ECU needs an OS at all. Surely the control of the vehicles engine and CAN bus operation is best carried out by a custom microprocessor system which talks directly to the hardware/ PIAS . An operating system is unnecessary processing overhead.

ICE/ nav systems may use an operating because of the need for updating and convenience for the manufacturer but noone in their right mind should allow that system into the Vehicle ECU.

WLB

Ah ha! This might be the answer to something that's been puzzling me for a week. Last Wednesday I accidentally opened an email from Nigeria and now the toaster won't work and the car radio is stuck on 3AW.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Ah ha! This might be the answer to something that's been puzzling me for a week. Last Wednesday I accidentally opened an email from Nigeria and now the toaster won't work and the car radio is stuck on 3AW.
    Delete the video that came with email and power down the radio. All will be be well. And keep out of the "adult forums" in future.

Just why do you need remote start of your car ?

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Just why do you need remote start of your car ?
    so you don't get injured when it drives itself through the garage wall....

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information