Default what a great idea

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZetSRWchM4w?rel=0

Advertisement
    59 Floride likes this.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Icon6

G'day,
    a clever idea, probably illegal in NSW/Oz, for whatever reason.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

COL

Certainly would make overtaking trucks a lot safer and easier.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Certainly would make overtaking trucks a lot safer and easier.
    How long before the rear tv screens start being used for marketing ?

I went to the shopping centre today and was affronted by some dude on a TV screen in front of the urinal trying to sell his wares.

A man can't even enjoy a p!ss uninterrupted these days.
    pug206gti, Whippet and UFO like this.

As a former truckie I'd just play "Open Road" hour after hour........ if anyone passes me and hits anything, they shouldn't have been watching a video whilst driving, should they!
    UFO likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

COL

We could fit the same system that they use on the Dakar to alert the vehicle in front that he is about to be passed.
    addo likes this.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    As a former truckie I'd just play "Open Road" hour after hour........ if anyone passes me and hits anything, they shouldn't have been watching a video whilst driving, should they!
    Its suppose to be a safety feature not something that puts someone into false security
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

I went to the shopping centre today and was affronted by some dude on a TV screen in front of the urinal trying to sell his wares.

That's weird!
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

Sign of the times Rob
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Icon11

All good fun until someone crests the brow of a hill, seeing clear road ahead ploughs into the back of an invisible truck

Cheers
    Chris
    pug206gti likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Its suppose to be a safety feature not something that puts someone into false security
    Col, I was brought up to drive in an era when drivers had no artificial assistance to pilot a vehicle. You had to do it yourself. If you didn't do it properly, you became, like several of my friends and acquaintances, a statistic. Now, we have devices that warn you if you are going to stray out of your lane! Devices that warn you if there is someone in your blind spot. Devices that brake automatically when the car in front does. Devices that stop your car skidding if you don't. Devices that stop your brakes locking up if you hit them too hard.

People that "drive" these days have no frigging idea what it was like to be in charge of a car in all of those situations and survive. Including all modern road safety experts and Chief Commissioners of Police. They are all just "boys' (or girls), relying on far too much technology and refusing to ensure that drivers actually can drive. It's a joke. So is a screen on the back of a truck. If people stopped fiddling with their phone's long enough they might be able to see whether the road ahead is clear or not, and if it isn't, then they can just be bloody patient or have enough spatial awareness and experience to overtake!
    Whippet, WLB, addo and 3 others like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Administrator

Definitely has merits, but I'm wondering how accurately you can perceive distances and closing speeds on a 2D monitor?

I know the pundits will probably say it's only to be used to assist the driver, but will that matter when you have people that crash because of GPS instructions?
    Kenfuego likes this.

I guess the Argentines need all the help they can get. All those bloody Samsung trucks are driving on the wrong side of the road!

Dave
    Geoff in Gully and JoBo like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Definitely has merits, but I'm wondering how accurately you can perceive distances and closing speeds on a 2D monitor?

I know the pundits will probably say it's only to be used to assist the driver, but will that matter when you have people that crash because of GPS instructions?
    all depends on the lens used. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspe..._(photography)

Large focal lengths of lenses can either compress an image (make everything appear to be on the same plane) or stretch it (wider angle lenses). The lenses used on these eg go pro are in the sub30mm range, likewise with your phone camera. Artists use this phenomena to their desire and or advantage.

But yes you are right, a proper setup need to be thought about before chucking a little wide angle lens there. The reason all phones have wide angle lenses is because it's easier for beginners to use, but you know what they say about short focal length lenses...

COL

Col, I was brought up to drive in an era when drivers had no artificial assistance to pilot a vehicle. You had to do it yourself. If you didn't do it properly, you became, like several of my friends and acquaintances, a statistic. Now, we have devices that warn you if you are going to stray out of your lane! Devices that warn you if there is someone in your blind spot. Devices that brake automatically when the car in front does. Devices that stop your car skidding if you don't. Devices that stop your brakes locking up if you hit them too hard.

People that "drive" these days have no frigging idea what it was like to be in charge of a car in all of those situations and survive. Including all modern road safety experts and Chief Commissioners of Police. They are all just "boys' (or girls), relying on far too much technology and refusing to ensure that drivers actually can drive. It's a joke. So is a screen on the back of a truck. If people stopped fiddling with their phone's long enough they might be able to see whether the road ahead is clear or not, and if it isn't, then they can just be bloody patient or have enough spatial awareness and experience to overtake!
    On lots of roads where I travel the overtaking distances are short, especially when you are trying to overtake a 700HP B-Double, to get around these trucks takes all the available road and you need to pass doing about 130Km/H other wise you run out of road.

This is not a driver aid like the ones above, it helps you to see what is in front of the truck.

Some truckies have the awareness that someone is behind them and they will aid your passing, some don't seem to care.
    JoBo likes this.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

What can a camera show you that you cannot see yourself, is my question?
    StephineS likes this.

JBN

I wonder if you could Bluetooth text messages onto the truck screen. Saves having to swap the driving glasses for reading glasses.

When driving the 2CV, I could watch a full length movie as I usually live behind big trucks just at the distance that I the screen becomes cinemascope size.

John

COL

What can a camera show you that you cannot see yourself, is my question?
    Like I said in post #15 the road in front of the truck, in case you have not worked it out if you can't see the road clearly in front of the truck you can't see if it is safe to pass (now you don't have to be Einstein to work that out).
    JoBo likes this.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Have doubts after viewing the video.....whether drivers could cope.

If they get to be common our roads, it is only a matter of time before a driver blames a mishap on them, even if only running off the road to avoid an oncoming vehicle at night. Excuse "I saw these headlights coming at me on my side of the road" Not my fault..!!

The perception of what is ahead and the safe time to pass is also an issue, in that demo video the 4WD/SUV had to cut in quickly in front of the truck and only just in time due to the oncoming vehicle, Had that oncoming vehicle been travelling at a higher speed, the overtaking manoeuvre would have been too risky.

Would take a lot of getting used to those issues, frankly I prefer my own forward observation, much safer and does not encourage risky overtaking.

If you observe new city based P platers travelling in the country, they really have little perception of passing speeds and closing speeds of approaching vehicles. If you don't believe that just head out of Melbourne when the Ute Muster is on in NSW and watch the near misses and attempts to overtake especially after dark, they are either too bold or lose their nerve and pull back in on other cars - crazy driving.

During the day, it might be useful in some areas, but far better to have passing lanes for safe driving in all conditions.

My

Ken

I was going to mention (Col already did) that aussie truckies have already invented the flasher code that signals exactly that - when it's clear to pass and when it's not. In my experience most (if not the vast majority) will help. A CB radio in your car is also a very useful tool.

What the heck is wrong with you people? Am I the only one who drives across this country?!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Like I said in post #15 the road in front of the truck, in case you have not worked it out if you can't see the road clearly in front of the truck you can't see if it is safe to pass (now you don't have to be Einstein to work that out).
    You or I might wait until the road is clear Col, but for some life is already too short and they won't waste any time making it shorter.

COL

You or I might wait until the road is clear Col, but for some life is already too short and they won't waste any time making it shorter.
    I'm glad we agree on something
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Schlitz, you're not the only one who drives long distances, and, believe me, not all truck jockeys are gentlemen.Most of the road train drivers are, especially those with livestock, but there are plenty of selfish pricks up in the cabs too. UHF chat will often confirm it rather than assist, I've been insulted by experts out behind The Black Stump.
    Having said that, the absolute worst are caravanners, too terrified to get off the bitumen but also too terrified to speed up. I know the truckies hate them even more than I do!
    gsmack likes this.

If the safety gadgets were a stupid idea and using only hard earned, seat of the pants skills the only valid way of getting from. A to b Alive, then we'd all be flying biplanes and Lancaster's.
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    If the safety gadgets were a stupid idea and using only hard earned, seat of the pants skills the only valid way of getting from. A to b Alive, then we'd all be flying biplanes and Lancaster's.
    No. We'd be flying Lancasters with rocket engines...because POWAAAAA fixes everything...
    FIVEDOOR and Australdi like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information