Brisbane 11/15 hail repair problems - how common?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brisbane 11/15 hail repair problems - how common?

Most the people I work with have had no trouble with their cars' hail repairs following last year's event, but none of them were with my insurance company. My car is a different story, I've heard of another person with my insurer who's had an even worse repair experience, and my niece had to take her car in twice.
    So the questions are:
    1. How many of you who had hail damage had your car fully repaired on the original date it was booked for?
    2. Did your insurance assessor give you any record of what was to be repaired, or did the assessor take any photographs of damage?
    3. Did your repair require any parts, and were they actually replaced?

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Default Hail

Hey

While I made it home that day unscathed, a few in my office did not.

One friend kept having her date moved by the insurer; originally May and later June and they had her vehicle for three weeks. She ended up waiting for over seven months for repairs.

The other friend's job was scheduled for April and had his done in the specified time.

The quickest response was a girl from work who was stuck on the Riverside Expressway in her VW. Every panel of glass smashed excluding the full glass roof. Somehow that was spared. Her's was a complete write-off and she was in her replacement vehicle within a week.

Ben

Insurance companies bring in teams of "Hail Repairers" from around the world. They keep there tools in containers in each country

They fix up Write Offs and resell them. They keep all panels and only replace broken glass

Fellow Frogger!

When Melbourne was blasted a few years ago the insurance companies were talking one look then writing a cheque.. You had the option to buy it back as a repairale write off. AFAIK the thing was over in a few weeks
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

My car wasn't badly damaged but still but had a couple of dozen hits that needed to be fixed. No broken glass but dents in the bonnet, roof, and tailgate. The only other damage was a broken auxiliary stop light.
    A couple of dents had broken the paint so some repainting would be needed and, being metallic, the complete panel would have to be done to match the paint.
    Everything went okay to start although it took a few phone calls back and forth to get any information from the insurance company on what was occurring. I assumed this was because of the large number of claims bogging down the system.
    Got accessed in December, car booked in for February. No big deal as the car was still fine to drive. Took in in in early February and then heard nothing for several weeks.

Eventually, I get a phone call from the insurance company saying they had now decided that the car is a write-off. Although I was peeved that they didn't tell me this back in December I thought fine, you pay me out less the salvage value and excess (which was about a grand) and I'll take the car back. I was sure I could get the dents filled and the car repainted for less than the pay-out. Wouldn't be as good a job as PDR but still acceptable on a 12 year old car.
    No, they said, the PDR company had already done the dent repairs (but not painted the car). The insurance company can write-off the car and give me a pay out but I would have to sort out the payment for the repairs performed with the PDR company (Or they can give me a payout less the excess and they would keep the car). How much, well the difference between the payout and PDR repair would be a few hundred bucks in my favour. Nowhere near enough for a top-half repaint. (When I got the car back there was additional paint damage so a repaint is even more necessary).

All my dealings were with the insurance compnay, they booked the repair and they told me to take the car in to get fixed but then they blamed the PDR company for doing then repairs without authorisation. All I wanted was my car back in the condition it was in before the hail-storm but this didn't happen.

Ren

"I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

My car had around 2 dozen mostly small dents, as I got it undercover before too long. Assessed in December, I was told the plastic roof rail would be replaced (the only paint that would be needed, and I could hear the people on either side of me in the assessment centre being told the same about their roof rails), and that the sticker on one A pillar and one on a part of the door frame would also have to be replaced when the car was repaired in May. Got the car back with all the other dents repaired, but none of the job that required parts done. Lodged a complaint with the insurer when the repairer refused to discuss the matter further and was told an assessor would contact me to organise a viewing of the car. Two weeks later I phoned again, only to be told the assessor had decided the job was done. The insurer couldn't give me details of what parts were originally assessed as needing replacement as at 4 in the afternoon all those people had gone home, nor could they explain why I wasn't informed that they had decided the job was complete, or how they could decide that without seeing the car. I pointed out that I had now found the two dents that hadn't been repaired, so had to book the car in for another assessment. Assessor quickly spotted the dents, and said he'd organise the repair, but that the parts might be difficult to obtain (2010 model). I suggested that as it had been 5 months between original assessment and the car being booked for initial repair maybe someone should have ordered the parts. I was told I would be phoned when the parts and a repairer to finish the job had been found. Two weeks later I haven't heard, but the insurance company has requested that I fill out a survey about my recent HOME insurance assessment. I'm currently trying to work out when during the assessors' working hours I can spare yet another 45 minutes to wait on the phone to talk to them and get some answer. It's getting close to one whole working day that I've had to spend talking to the insurance company and taking the car to assessment centres. This is a company that others on here have praised for excellent service - at renewal time I'm certainly going to be looking elsewhere at quotes for my 4 cars.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thread Information