Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Ozmac
  • 1 Post By Flash Car 76

Thread: Redex Rally diorama

Tadpole

Default Redex Rally diorama

Hi

Advertisement

Just thought I'd post some images of a diorama I've just built, based on Ken Tubman's winning Peugeot 203 in the 1953 Redex. Also featured is the Cinesound news crew's Peugeot 203 Wagon, and a Holden FX. All the cars in the diorama are 1/43 scale. The Tubman car (entering the water) is a built plastic kit, while the other two are diecast cars. As far as I know, from all the research I've done into this topic, including colour film footage and other sources, this is basically how the Tubman car looked back then, same too for the other cars. The Holden is the one driven by Possum Kipling, who was first car home when the Rally finished in Sydney, and he came 10th overall. A glutton for punishment, Possum did the 54 & 55 Redexes, plus both the Ampol and Mobil rallies in 1956. His 1953 10th place was his best result.

Finally, a 'thank you' to Brian Eyre from the Peugeot Car Club of WA, who helped me out with various queries during my researches. Much appreciated.

COL

Nice work looks great
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Mate that has to be one of the best things that I have seen on this site. A real tribute to your skills and passions.
    FLASH
    StephineS likes this.

Banned

I second that. Brilliant work! The skills hiding in 'ordinary homes' is just remarkable.

Was that created for a specific reason, or just as part of hobby generally?
    Feel free to post photos of other works. I am sure they would be appreciated.

JBN

Terrific. I agree with the others comments.

John

1000+ Posts

Fantastic stuff.

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. As for what inspired me to do this, I had always known about Ken Tubman in the 203 (I owned a 203 all through the 1980s), but it's when I stumbled across a photo of the Cinesound film crew's 203 that I got the idea for this diorama.

And as I am semi-retired and work has been what they call "slow" lately, I've had plenty of time on my hands to research how the cars looked, then build and/or modify the cars. I'm pleased with how it's worked out but I don't have any more to show you as this is the first time I've done a diorama using cars. All up it took about six weeks from start to finish.

I'e been building model kits for as long as I can remember and I've started thinking about building diaoramas, when I do get around to it,I hope they turn out as good as yours Ozmac!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmac View Post
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments. As for what inspired me to do this, I had always known about Ken Tubman in the 203 (I owned a 203 all through the 1980s), but it's when I stumbled across a photo of the Cinesound film crew's 203 that I got the idea for this diorama.

And as I am semi-retired and work has been what they call "slow" lately, I've had plenty of time on my hands to research how the cars looked, then build and/or modify the cars. I'm pleased with how it's worked out but I don't have any more to show you as this is the first time I've done a diorama using cars. All up it took about six weeks from start to finish.
    G'day,
    an excellent example, and fine photography also.
    As you have nothing else to do, better start on a new one.

ps. how did you do the creek splashes ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Tadpole

The creek splashes are just clear silicone sealer. I apply it in a 5mm bead around where the car goes, then while it's soft I scrape it down and away in a deliberately rough way away from the car, using a paddle pop stick. The main thing is to have a "wave" at its highest around the car, and spread the "churned up water" out thinner the further you get away from the car.

Once it dries I use an old toothbrush dipped in white paint to "dry-brush" the silicon with streaks. I make sure to wipe most of the paint off the toothbrush onto a paper towel, then I dry-brush the silicone sealer with the toothbrush. You do this slowly but surely, the main thing is to make sure there's not too much paint on the toothbrush. The bluey green of the water needs to still be visible.

Thread Information