Updating interior trim
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Updating interior trim

Hi,
    I'm working on a late 70's R5.
    The interior is a bit sad.
    I've outsourced the seats, but I still have lots of fiddly stuff to do.

My first concern is the sculptured brittle plastic trims around the inside of the "C" pillar. They are yellow(ed) and certainly do not match the grey "ambience" of the rest of the interior.
    I have done a reasonable job of repairing the plastic that I broke trying to remove it. It is seriously brittle. I don't think that a vinyl spray will be enough to hide the joins.

My second concern is the roof lining. It is a beige, diamond embossed, 3d and vinyl. Horrible would be a fair way to describe it at first glance. If it provides sound deadening and control over condensation that would be a plus!
    I would like to have a thin, flat layer, of say, polystyrene to cover that issue but retain the positives of what's there at the moment. Again, a matching fabric layer adhered to match the "C" pillars.

My thoughts at the moment are to glue a cloth/velour/fabric of some sort. The thin carpet at Bunnings is too thick to manoeuvre around the edges without looking decidedly clunky and homemade.
    So, where to source the fabric? Which fabric?
    Any techniques that I should be made aware of?
    What type of intermediate layer (polystyrene) should I use and where do I get it?
    I'm assuming that I will use a spary on adhesive.

As you can tell, I'm not "au fait" with trimming.

Advertisement

Willing to try, but not wanting to stuff it up.

David

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    Hi,
    I'm working on a late 70's R5.
    The interior is a bit sad.
    I've outsourced the seats, but I still have lots of fiddly stuff to do.

My first concern is the sculptured brittle plastic trims around the inside of the "C" pillar. They are yellow(ed) and certainly do not match the grey "ambience" of the rest of the interior.
    I have done a reasonable job of repairing the plastic that I broke trying to remove it. It is seriously brittle. I don't think that a vinyl spray will be enough to hide the joins.

My second concern is the roof lining. It is a beige, diamond embossed, 3d and vinyl. Horrible would be a fair way to describe it at first glance. If it provides sound deadening and control over condensation that would be a plus!
    I would like to have a thin, flat layer, of say, polystyrene to cover that issue but retain the positives of what's there at the moment. Again, a matching fabric layer adhered to match the "C" pillars.

My thoughts at the moment are to glue a cloth/velour/fabric of some sort. The thin carpet at Bunnings is too thick to manoeuvre around the edges without looking decidedly clunky and homemade.
    So, where to source the fabric? Which fabric?
    Any techniques that I should be made aware of?
    What type of intermediate layer (polystyrene) should I use and where do I get it?
    I'm assuming that I will use a spary on adhesive.

As you can tell, I'm not "au fait" with trimming.

Willing to try, but not wanting to stuff it up.

David

Vyfab in Bignell Rd in Moorabbin have an amazing range of car type vinyl. It is a massive barn of a place with piles of stuff of all sorts.

Rumour hath it that they will be closing soon, so a) might be best to be quick and b) might get some favourable deals

I have found them very helpful and knowledgeable about what is available and what might do various particular jobs

Good luck. Interiors are scary

Best Wishes

Andrew

Dave, I'd use "Ezy-Kool" directly on to the roof surface first. It's a closed cell foam in a pure aluminium sandwich. I have some here if you want to have a sticky but probably not enough for the R5 unfortunately.

As for the covering, I sourced a new material for the roof lining of Moby Dick from the upholsterer when I had the seats re-finished. He used some of the material on the doorcards. It's a beige fleck velour with a foam backing.

Once again I have samples here. Next time we do lunch you can have a browse perhaps. (If I bring Moby you can run your fingers over both materials.)

Maybe your seat guy is the bloke to talk to in the meantime?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Andrew and Ray,
    I'll certainly look at the Moorabbin solution.
    Funds are not unlimited here, so the original person who did the seats will be exxy and will tie up the car for several days.
    It's true that days have passed into months on this resto but I want it done in days if I can.

Any more thoughts on material and techniques would be appreciated.
    Ta

Thread Information