Red Light Camera Fine
  • Register
  • Help
    SW

Default Red Light Camera Fine

Just wondering if anyone knows how long before you get the fine in the mail and how much it is these days

I got "flashed" Friday night coming home from Parramatta on the GWH (now Wednesday night) - my fault, lazy driving late at night and will cop it sweet - I ran an orange light

Advertisement

Also, out of curiosity, how do they dowmload the photos? Are they digitally downloaded via a phone line or do they still pick up the film?

Scott

Fine's in the region of $180... you can delay issues by asking for photos, I think.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Fine's in the region of $180... you can delay issues by asking for photos, I think.
    How many points ... ?

And getting flashed is not a automatic fine .. they take 2 shots and if you have already cleared the intersection by the second one (and were not speeding - they can tell your speed by the distance travelled between each shot) .. then it's NOT a forgone conclusion ... if you don't get a fine, don't bother going out and buying a lotto ticket .. your luck is all used up.

You never know ... maybe the film ran out

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by SW
    Just wondering if anyone knows how long before you get the fine in the mail and how much it is these days

how do they dowmload the photos? Are they digitally downloaded via a phone line or do they still pick up the film?

Scott
    Why? Did the camera 'mysteriously catch fire' 5 minutes after you got flashed?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Why? Did the camera 'mysteriously catch fire' 5 minutes after you got flashed?

Alan S
    Not that I am aware.

I recall years ago when I got flashed on Miltary Rd Nth Sydney there was no fine to follow. Perhaps the previous email may explain why? It may have run out of film.

Which leads back to my original query - Are the cameras these days digital and downloaded via phone connections or do they still rely on film?

Scott

XTC

Which leads back to my original query - Are the cameras these days digital and downloaded via phone connections or do they still rely on film?
    Scott
    As far as I know all NEW future cameras are touted to be digital .. WHICH poses the question, how can you prove it hasn't been manipulated .. something nice and solid about celulose ..

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    As far as I know all NEW future cameras are touted to be digital .. WHICH poses the question, how can you prove it hasn't been manipulated .. something nice and solid about celulose ..

- XTC206 -
    It should take about 3 weeks for the fine to appear. If it gets to 5 you are most likely off the hook. Most of the camera nowadays are digital. I recall a newspaper article a while back where someone set fire to a camera on the F3 freeway near Wyong, the item went something like "bad luck, your photo had already been sent to the police!" A nice idea just the same....

I think it is sitting at 3 points! Then there was the camera shot of a car doing 260km/h.....happened to be a clapped out P76 not capable of hitting 100k's, let alone the speed quoted. After the 120Y incident in Melbourne, it might be worth a protest!

Regard
    Andrew

1000+ Posts

I got done on the Military Rd one recently, going to court in May (as the thing was well & truely orange & didnt go red till 2/3 of the way thru!)

it took AGES!!! 3 months i think for it to come through!
    pretty sure its digital also

Probably use a GSM style technology i'm guessin!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D
    Most of the camera nowadays are digital.
    Anyone know what resolution these cameras are ??? .. have to be decent enough to not only read good condition plates but also bad ones.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

They usually take a few weeks - mind you, I got flashed doing well over the limit in Perth back in August (evil bloody WA speed cameras hiding in the bushes ), and I still havent seen a fine . It was without a doubt me they were flashing, but I guess the interstate plates confused them

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    It was without a doubt me they were flashing, but I guess the interstate plates confused them
    Didn't you know ... we have a special arangement here (WA) for AussieFrog drivers - can't have our interstate visitors not wanting to come back ... sorry should have told you.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

it took them 3months and cost me $127.00
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

1000+ Posts

Just heard from a very reliable source...

9/10 (well HEAPS) of red light fines are completely wrong!!
    whenever you get one, make sure you get the photo!!!
    There's heaps that are green/orange

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Just heard from a very reliable source...

9/10 (well HEAPS) of red light fines are completely wrong!!
    whenever you get one, make sure you get the photo!!!
    There's heaps that are green/orange

I hear you tiger ive ben done by a Red Ligt Camera but as you know it took my Picture as i was Going Through a Green Light!! So always get the Picture to make sure!!

Grant!!!!
    Last edited by Foxman; 23rd March 2004 at 01:19 AM.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by jfn306
    it took them 3months and cost me $127.00

3 months is absurd - you could conceivably lose a license in that time and not realise it - say over holiday weekends - wonder where that leaves you insurance wise during that period?

I will definitely get the picture after what you guys have suggested - there is that off chance.

What is the "official" rule of where you can be at the lights and not be booked. I have heard of people being caught in the intersection in a queue and being booked even though they didnt run a red

What if you cross when it is orange and keep moving even though it turns red when you are half way across, it is okay?? I think this is what happened when I got flashed.

Thanks XTC206 - thats terribly considerate and much appreciated I knew there was a reason I liked the locals in Perth.

As for taking a long time to have a fine turn up, spare a thought for all the Victorian drivers caught by a multitude of speed cameras being tested for calibration. Apprently the governemnt has something silly like 200 million dollars of fines waiting to be issued upon confirmation that the cameras are OK. Many drivers will lose there licences overnight and be hit with many fines at once
    Many people have thought they were out of action altogether and have been speeding, but I am too cynical for that so have treated them as working. Glad I did, because they intend on issuing every one caught at once.

XTC

3 months is absurd - you could conceivably lose a license in that time and not realise it - say over holiday weekends - wonder where that leaves you insurance wise during that period?
    You have only lost your license when the police say you have ... and that is usually when you hand it over.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

wow u can get fined for goin through an amber light over here (scotland) u only get caught if goin through a red light. and there aint any cameras, only speed cameras but they give u warnin and tell u to slow down!!!

Thread Information