• 1 Post By Andy N
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 2 Post By Kenfuego
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: Vehicle blackbox proposal aired on RN

Default Vehicle blackbox proposal aired on RN

G'day Fellow Croakers,

I'm interested in your views about a proposal that a blackbox be fitted to every registered vehicle in Australia:A 'black box' for automobiles - Ockham's Razor - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    It would monitor speed and location amongst other things and allow for real-time warnings and fines including the ability to capture tolls and parking revenue. A more useful aspect is that it would alert emergency services if a car is involved in an accident, a feature seen on some french cars sold there for some years:http://www.sierrawireless.com/newsro...onnected_cars/.

Advertisement

My comment has not been published on the RN website yet so I shortened my comment and reposted. It reads like this:

Who could really want a state imposed law where going 5 or 10km over the speed limit for a specified period on any road anytime (including offroad) would automatically log in a fine. Why not include my credit card details and debit me straight away! It would only be a matter of time before the car could be remotely disabled and what if a mistake was made that prevented use of the vehicle. Could you then contact a human being to ask why? There are so many other reasons why people have accidents, generally lack of awareness and/or distraction from the task of driving, fatigue, using mobile phones, tailgating, prescription/ non-prescription drugs and medical conditions, etc. The proposal appears to brush over these factors and assume the main and only problem is speeding. It seems to me unlikely that giving more power to the state to fine people will not suddenly grant people the ability to control a vehicle.

Please feel free to disagree and I welcome other views. As I drive a 70's Citroen Station Wagon which takes 20 seconds to hover to 100, speeding can take some effort
    JoBo likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hah ... it would have to rely on the mobile network.... Given this is useless in 99% of the places most poeple travel it would be pointless.

Then again it would probably have onboard storage, so anytime you drove into a mobile coverage area it would download all your infringment data so they can send out you "$afety Notice$" to pay

I'd like to see them fit one to any of my cars

It would never work in australia. We'd all just smash the thing as soon as we purchased the car. They have to hire an entire new police for to try and enforce an operating "black box".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    JoBo likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Hah ... it would have to rely on the mobile network.... Given this is useless in 99% of the places most poeple travel it would be pointless.

Then again it would probably have onboard storage, so anytime you drove into a mobile coverage area it would download all your infringment data so they can send out you "$afety Notice$" to pay

I'd like to see them fit one to any of my cars

It would never work in australia. We'd all just smash the thing as soon as we purchased the car. They have to hire an entire new police for to try and enforce an operating "black box".

seeya,
    Shane L.

I wouldn't be dismissing the concept so quickly.

The alcohol interlock system was introduced for recidivist drink drivers. These devices don't seem to tampered with and collect data about the drivers habits.

The communications problem is storing data and sending it once communications can be established.

If the politicans can score brownie points it's likely to happen.

JBN

I think its already happening. On the Sydney news tonight, a truckie videoed a driver using a laptop in his car during peak hour. What we need is an app in cars that disables all the "blackboxes" that we currently use - mobiles, laptops, satnavs (yes, if you don't know where you are going, stay at home or catch the train).

John
    JoBo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Ah yes, idea has been around for years and it will happen unless voters specify that the devices should be trialled for two years fitted to every tax payer funded car and also fitted by request to politicians own and government cars. After a two years trial the public should be able to have confidence that privacy and so forth as well as accuracy will be foremost in our legislators minds.

Ken
    Kim Luck and jaahn like this.

This is already happening to a certain degree with new vehicles.
    A work colleague told me that when he got his Toyota serviced the service manager, after checking the on board data, told him that if he was to change his driving habits he'd get far better fuel economy.
    When I had my Commodore ute serviced, the service manager had told me that it had been in an accident, which was true because I had a close encounter with a dirt embankment after I fought I had the necessary rallying skills to negotiate a particular corner but didn't. I fixed the damage and there was no way of him knowing this before hand.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    When I had my Commodore ute serviced, the service manager had told me that it had been in an accident, which was true because I had a close encounter with a dirt embankment after I fought I had the necessary rallying skills to negotiate a particular corner but didn't. I fixed the damage and there was no way of him knowing this before hand.
    The modern ECUs log a lot of events, and these logs have been determined to be admissible as evidence in court in Australia. So in many respects we're already there when it comes to accident investigations.
    406 HDi

^ Exactly, you see it quite often in these crash investigation shows.
    They can tell what speed you were going at, when the brakes were applied, steering angle, etc, etc. So the reality of the original post is not far away!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Car Insurance companies are starting to offer a discount if you permit them to access the onboard monitoring in the event of a crash

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Personal right to examine stored data (metadata) Just in case

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Car Insurance companies are starting to offer a discount if you permit them to access the onboard monitoring in the event of a crash
    All good reasons for motorist owners of vehicles insisting on their own access to such data that should come under the heading of Metadata and may be defined soon, Such insistence might also head off the present push by some manufacturers to protect their design and development "rights" to a point that we the buying public, believe when we buy a vehicle we extinguish such peripheral rights, unless we specifically and personally accept that overriding manufacturers right, i.e. you can't have it unless you click here as in computer software and find you have to then pay for upgrades of annual changes.

That sort of compulsory opt in is a bad feature and anti competitive as it allows developers to sell over promoted software that is poorly developed and full of buggy code.

Any owner should have the right to review any information that may impact upon their privacy, and then of course be able to access a process for correction of incorrect data. This will become increasingly important when GPS locations and auto taxing and automatic penalty systems become available.

While I have reservations due to the accuracy and failure rate of electronic circuits and Hi Tech devices, in some cases they could be an aid to individuals in rebutting false information. Personal access seems to be a way of limiting the whittling away of personal privacy and ensuring accuracy of data recorded.

I well remember checking odometer readings against known distances travelled and finding it was over recording the distance travelled which had an impact on servicing periods and warranty expiry. The odometer reading was quickly corrected when bought to the dealers notice at the time. Knowledge is handy sometimes as to software updates that might or might not have been applied.

Regards

Ken

Alcohol interlock ?? Fit one to my car ........ I bet I'm driving down the road in 30seconds without blowing in that sucker. You can't stop a carby/points dizzie car that easily. I'd pop the bonnet, hot wire the coil, push the manual starter button on the solenoid and be motoring down the road quicker than you could blow into the black box and find the keys to start it.

None of my cars have the "smarts" to allow these systems to work.

seeya,
    shane L.
    gsmack and Fingers like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

it locks the steering, shane

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller View Post
    it locks the steering, shane
    I was wondering how they did it ... actually that's quite smart as you could bolt a collar onto just about any steering column that the lockout engages into.

I bet there's a movement sensor there too.... so if you bypass the steering lock, it'll sense the steering column is rotating without the interlock disengaged.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

I have come to an agreement with the NSW Government that I will send a postcard each year from my 2CV saying that it has behaved itself.

The postcard travels at about the same pace as the car and was invented at about the same time the car was.

John

if you bypass the steering lock
    yeah, if you do that

Thread Information