Saw Peugeot review on Top Gear....
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cav91
  • 1 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By alexander

Thread: Saw Peugeot review on Top Gear....

Default Saw Peugeot review on Top Gear....

Last week I saw the complete twanks from Top Gear do their review of Peugeot cars of the last decade.
    They began by saying that Peugeot had a good history, and had made rally winning sports cars. When road testing the Peugeots of the last decade they attempted to illustrate that the cars were useless by continually missing turns in the roads and running into ditches. They did a ridiculous car parking exercise where they actually crashed into every other car which was parked there.
    Clarkson showed how by merely switching on the cars heater, a switch sparked away and began a small fire inside the car. He said that the fire was warmer than the cars heater, and luckily for him it had a sunroof which was good for smoke extraction.

It would have been a more persuasive argument to merely say that they do not like Peugeots. Their attempts at humour just made them look less than intelligent.
    Then again, these two, May and Clarkson would tell us that Lotus are reliable, and that Aston Martin make good cars.
    I'm not convinced.

Advertisement

I disagree. There right newer Pugs are rubbish (merely my opinion). They just said it in a very amusing way!
    Melc likes this.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

It's Top Gear, nothing on that show is to be taken seriously, I've seen that episode a couple of times and found it amusing.
    Last night I was channel surfing when I stumbled upon a program with James May and it was something about the "peoples car". I missed the start, but I did tune in just in time to see him comparing the 2CV to the R4 and there were a couple of facts mentioned, but as in Top Gear it was mostly tongue in cheek. He mentioned that both vehicles were used by military forces for various roles and went about shooting projectiles at them to demonstrate their lack of protection from said projectiles. The amusing thing was it took 4 RPGs to blow up the R4 because the sheet metal was so thin that the projectile kept passing through the R4 without detonating!
    The R4 eventually won the.....ummh.....comparison....merely because the 2CV eventually caught on fire.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

As much as anything, I think they were also poking fun at the profile of Peugeot drivers in the UK, which I think is a little different to here. In the UK, I understand modern Peugeots drivers are regarded much as we would regard Camry or Volvo drivers of old. That probably isn't entirely the cars' fault!
    Melc likes this.

i agree richard, but i think a car can skew a drivers personality too. name me one range rover (or wank tank in general) driver that isn't an asshole that goes around riding up everyones ass because the layout of the car is inviting to this sort of behaviour (height, speed, power etc)

don't get me started on the self-assured c63 ******s

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    Name me one range rover (or wank tank in general) driver that isn't an asshole that goes around riding up everyones ass
    Me. (Hopefully other forum members who have driven with me in my wife's daily driver can confirm this. And certainly my wife doesn't drive like that, so that's two).

Well you two exquisite humans must not drive on the m2! (My sample space for judgement)
    Pour le peuple colonisé, la valeur la plus essentielle, parce que la plus concrète, c'est d'abord la terre: la terre qui doit assurer le pain et, bien sûr, la dignité.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

i agree richard, but i think a car can skew a drivers personality too. name me one range rover (or wank tank in general) driver that isn't an asshole that goes around riding up everyones ass because the layout of the car is inviting to this sort of behaviour (height, speed, power etc)

Hello .............. You forgot to add peroxide blonde chubby middle aged women ...........

I'm just jealous 'cos I'd like a get a V8 turbo diesel range rover for my wife ( I guess I could drive it ... but I'd have to drive it through some mud holes and put some offroad pinstripes on it before I'd feel comfortable driving it)......... 700Nm .... it'd tow the caravan like it wasn't there

Now I'm confused though .... 'Cos I drive the 2cv and ID19 way way way way faster and far more aggressively than I'd ever drive a wank tank

My wife drives a crappy modern poogoe .... She didn't like the topgear segment .... I thought it was bloody hilarious, it was everything I have constantly said about the modern poogoes.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Now I'm confused though .... 'Cos I drive the 2cv and ID19 way way way way faster and far more aggressively than I'd ever drive a wank tank
    For once I agree with Shane. I definitely drive a 205 more aggressively than I'd ever drive the family truck. For me, driving the truck is mostly about being smooth - though I admit that occasionally it is fun to blast away from lights at speeds that people don't expect.

Back to the topic, however, I don't think that most people would feel any inspiration to drive most modern Peugeots fast - which is probably the basic point that Top Gear was making.

Two points.
    1. You gotta drive any car with parameters you are given. You make the decisions...

I've owned and driven R4s (love them, you learn a lot about real driving) as well as D's and my current
    Xantia Activa (I wonder if TG would put one up against a Porsche?)

I bet my Activa is twice as fast up the local side street than any Porsche or Ferrari.

(Cos I can do the speed humps at 60km/h).

2. Peugeot ...some years back I tried really hard to like them, taking 2 -3 models for a test drive.
    Apart from the perverse gearbox in the Citroen Pluriel, I have never found a Peugeot that wasn't surpassed by an alternate Citroen.
    I tried a few quick direction changes in one of the Pugs and drove it straight back to the dealer ....

Having said that, I do like some of the older Pugs (e.g. 504), and some of the Renaults (I've owned a few R16s) .. but unless you drive these things in the way that they were designed and built, you really can't expect direct comparisons to make sense.

I recently tested bunch of cars, trying to dissuade myself from Citroen. Mercedes included.
    I ended up with a 2005 C5 HDI.

I like Top Gear, its great entertainment. It certainly is highly biased towards sheer performance cars. Transparently so.
    But they probably are right ... there are better competitive options than the average Peugeot.

Is my Activa a *better car* than a Lambo, an Aston Martin .... a Ferrari....?
    Yup. Sometimes. In defined ways it is. But a Fiat 500 fits into smaller parking spaces ...

Banned

funnily enough, i have recently driven a C63, and can report that if you drive one, you would be hard pushed to not thrash the thing away from every set of lights you stopped at. it was just effing incredible. as was the sound.
    lion5 likes this.

I really like my 505 wagon but am not very impressed with my daughters 307 wagon its very harsh and the 505 beats it hands down on the highway.

Cannot understand why anyone would take what Top Gear would say about Pugs seriously, anyone who watchs the show knows they hate Pugs and Pugs drivers.

Thread Information