• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By edgedweller
  • 3 Post By Hotrodelectric

Thread: Seen and done this before

Default Seen and done this before

I know this sort of thing has been posted discussed before ..but just for your amusement.

I was told once that the rarest thing in Paris is a vacant car parking space.
    Whilst sitting on our balcony with the morning coffee we have been keeping an eye on the parking in our street.
    So far the longest period between a car leaving and another taking its place is 70 seconds!!

We do a lot of travel across Paris by bus . It is slower than the Metro but being above ground we see lots and sometimes simply get off to investigate. Approx 100 Routes cross the central area of Paris.

Believe me, vacant parking spaces in the streets are a rarity . ..and yes, there are underground car parks that may have spaces available.

This photo is not an example of clever parking manipulation just as it ended up after others come and go.
    Bad luck if you need to get out.

Advertisement

In the past, on level ground many cars ( most are Manual transmission) were left in Neutral with the handbrake off so that the "pack" could be " shunted" forward and back to make escape room.

So what happens??? ...in the age of fragile plastic "bumpers" and cars with automatic electronic parking brakes.

Cheers
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seen and done this before-img_2459.jpg  

JBN

I wonder how good the Park Assist is in a situation like this?

John
    27of85 likes this.

UFO

A few years ago we saw a couple parking a Jeep Cherokee in Montparnasse. He was out of the car on the footpath checking the space. It was the size you'd be lucky to get a Pug306/CitC4 in. We cringed and kept walking. Came back a couple of hours later and sure enough the Jeep was in the space. You want to park in Paris (Rome etc etc) you find a way - and everyone does it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Saw this one last week - as I was leaving DS World.

At first glance you may think the 508 is turning the corner but no - it's the classic Paris corner between the pedestrian crossings park.

Seen and done this before-508-paris.jpg
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

You should see the parking in Madrid!!!

The public actually stop and help you park by giving directions as to how far you have before you hit the cars fore and aft!!!!

This usually entailed a series of not so gentle touch parking manoeuvres, (or is that shove parking manoeuvres).
    Some sufficiently violent enough that I was surprised that the bags did not deploy!
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Yes - I noticed the very same thing earlier this year in Barcelona, Florence and Rome. I have also heard of the same approach to parking on level ground where hand brakes are off and gearbox in neutral. I will find some images and post

Vaseline on the tarmac inside/curbside of the wheels and push into park and later, push back onto carriageway to drive.

be careful on take off
    Australdi likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    You should see the parking in Madrid!!!

The public actually stop and help you park by giving directions as to how far you have before you hit the cars fore and aft!!!!

This usually entailed a series of not so gentle touch parking manoeuvres, (or is that shove parking manoeuvres).
    Some sufficiently violent enough that I was surprised that the bags did not deploy!
    I simply call it 'parking in Braille'.
    StephineS, Whippet and okalford like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I simply call it 'parking in Braille'.
    It used to be called "parking by ear" until they got rid of metal bumpers.

John

Default Parking..more pics.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    It used to be called "parking by ear" until they got rid of metal bumpers.

John
    Correct John.
    The new plastic front panels tend to flex before they crack and often only suffer scratching.

So here is a couple of examples of "Paris touch parking" on steel bumpers.

Both cars are BMC Minis and the "conspiracy-theorists" amongst us might? reason that the damage was caused by an extra shunt whilst shouting ..." This one is for Waterloo" ..crash....or " Vivre la République".. crash..or "because you are English"..crash

The third photo shows the new and fashionable "ripple-grille" effect and shows the latest in air-cooled halogen globes!

Seen and done this before-img_4076.jpgSeen and done this before-img_4078.jpgSeen and done this before-img_4324.jpg

So, would you park your restored french car on a Paris street?...methinks Not!
    Cheers
    Bob

Thread Information