97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfn306
    just thinking will bring out a 4WD it will be good to have a froggy 4WD

wat do you all think of that
    Why ?? There's already about 8 BIG 4wds out there for the sh!t for brains middle aged women to choose from.

And for all the sh!t for brains middle aged women wannabees we now have the choice of about 1dozen pretend 4wds --most of which are really 2wds or AWDs (until the can afford the repayments and become a *real* sh!t for brains middle aged women ).

Dunno about anyone else, but the new holden cruze add just about has tears rolling down my face I laugh so much. Really who but sh!t for brains middle aged women wannabees will buy a little hunk of sh!t just cos it's sitting really high off the ground and will be exceptionally unstable.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

What about the renault scenic?

Anyway I don't think the french would have any real competitive advantage in producing 4wd's. REAL 4wd's should be fairly simply and solid and strong; even if if that compromises confort and on road performance; think a Toyota landcruiser troopy. Also if they don't have diesel power and manual transmissions they're probably only good for the old women driver's.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Why ?? There's already about 8 BIG 4wds out there for the sh!t for brains middle aged women to choose from.

And for all the sh!t for brains middle aged women wannabees we now have the choice of about 1dozen pretend 4wds --most of which are really 2wds or AWDs (until the can afford the repayments and become a *real* sh!t for brains middle aged women ).

Dunno about anyone else, but the new holden cruze add just about has tears rolling down my face I laugh so much. Really who but sh!t for brains middle aged women wannabees will buy a little hunk of sh!t just cos it's sitting really high off the ground and will be exceptionally unstable.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Dont forget, theres plenty of "shit for brains" men out there aswell just trying make up for what they lack elswhere. But I tottally disagree with the amount of pointless 4WD vehicles out there, eg. Porsche Cayenne. The last thing we need is another. I dont, however mind people that actually use them for what they are for...4 wheel driving! (just incase theres a few in AF) The only thing that could be interesting is a frog that was hardcore 4WD AND an amphibian vehicle!

Default What about a 4Wd a'la 405Mi16 4WD?

Agreed on the SUV approach but what about a 4wd aimed at the tarmac?

Why did they only make the 405Mi16 and then stop was it a homologation job?

Something for those icy mountain roads, if we ever see rain that is....
    1989 505 Gti II Wagon 323K and still strong.
    1990 405 Mi16
    1982 BMW 528i

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    Dont forget, theres plenty of "shit for brains" men out there aswell just trying make up for what they lack elswhere. But I tottally disagree with the amount of pointless 4WD vehicles out there, eg. Porsche Cayenne. The last thing we need is another. I dont, however mind people that actually use them for what they are for...4 wheel driving! (just incase theres a few in AF) The only thing that could be interesting is a frog that was hardcore 4WD AND an amphibian vehicle!

i think those men can be in the old women catagory

as Shane said, there are enough invicible drivers in 4WD's now do we really need any more ?

and as for them not bieng taxed at the same rate as passenger cars is wrong in my opinion

sure give the farmers a break but the tax benefit should be only on the 4WD used on the farm not the metallic coated, alloy wheel show ponies
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    Dont forget, theres plenty of "shit for brains" men out there aswell just trying make up for what they lack elswhere.
    And who do you think buys WRX's

A lot of the men drive 4wds on the weekends (as the ridiculous middle aged blonde who still thinks she looks like a 16year old is sitting in the passenger seat --the 2 of them and 1 kid won't fit in a WRX you know ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Don't believe me Just go drive around the local yuppie neighboorhood and look down the drives, you'll find a WRX and a Land Cruiser most likely (his 'n' hers ).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I suppose to be fair, you do need 40 inches of ground clearance to navigate a shopping centre and park on the walkway......

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    and as for them not bieng taxed at the same rate as passenger cars is wrong in my opinion

sure give the farmers a break but the tax benefit should be only on the 4WD used on the farm not the metallic coated, alloy wheel show ponies
    right on! Maybe a good detterrant would be a pre-requisite, that all 4wd owners take out a 4WD driving course (at their cost) in order to register thier vehicle (i imagine you could exclude people in rural areas) and then if they continue to drive such silly vehicles in an urban area at least they have some knowledge of the limitations of their truck. eh, who knows....

Fellow Frogger!

You think the cruze is funny (a suzuki ignis with 4wd drivetrain), the biggest joke of all is the Daihatsu terrible (sorry terios). I drove an auto version a friend had as a loaner, I needed to open the window to get some elbow room!

Didn't like corners much either!

Hardcore 4wdrivers are fine, they can handle their beasts as for the rest....

Regards
    Andrew

1000+ Posts

i'm sooo close to starting a movement...

Make 4wd's the same as guns... you must be a primary producer (no hobby farm/tax lurk crap either) OR become a memeber of a 4wd club & do at least 4 (?) outings a year.

I'm sure we're all so _ _ _ _ _ _ angry at the amount of 20L/100km 4ton sh7t boxes there are around!!! ARGH dont get me started!

so thats my input...
    If you want a 4wd, become a member of a club, you must attend 4 outings a year, else surrender your 4wd!!! no buy-backs either!
    And ONLY discounts to primary producers, otherwise full tax on the vehicle like everyone else!

But alas, it'll never work as all the "important people" and fat cats drive em...
    Maybe we should do like the Adelaide gangs??? ha ha haaa

last post i half agree with although i have one of those s**t boxes you are t5alking about to tow my boat have to have a huge thing to legally tow it so that fam thing wouldn't apply

SW

I'm gunna fess up and say I have one. Is it okay if its an RX4 scenic though.

I suppose I should explain my bio and reasoning - married with 2 young kids and wouldn't be caught dead in a van like Zafira or Nimbus etc or a station wagon for that matter.

The Scenic is actually a very practical alternative having fold up desks for the kids in the back, lots of storage compartments for, a few luxury features, heaps of room for the shopping with no boot lip and not to mention being able to go on a few tracks in the Blue Mountains.

Nice trip going to the glow worm tunnel along 30km unsealed from Lithgow earlier his year. This is sometimes more of a dream than reality though - but hey, not all sports car drivers actually race their cars either.

I don't think it is that obtrusive in the traffic and certainly doesnt guzzle the fuel.

Must admit, nothing more frustrating than being behind a big sight screen 4WD landcruiser though.

Scott
    Last edited by SW; 16th March 2004 at 09:21 PM.

XTC

All the 3 French connections have played with the idea of a "softroader" but thankfully they have resisted somewhat (OK the scenic is kinda that way) ... but unlike the US and Aust the trend for these vehicles as somewhat smaller ... higher oil prices woudl have something to do wit that.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting comments on 4WDs.

I just want to say that "it's not the car, it's the driver".

There should be more public education, only buy a 4WD if you really need it.
    Most 4WD drivers do not realise the fact that 4WD are less agile and more likely to loose control in an emergency. And while you sit higher and may see futher ahead, you definetly see less around the car which is equally as important if not more. And obviously did not consider the environment with all the extra CO2 generated.

I'm not against 4WDs, I like them, just prefer not to see housewives with 1 kid, driving a Land Cruiser, especially when they are parked at a space designated "Small Car Only".

the citroen BX came in in a variant of a 4x4 but it never came out to Australia however...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug403
    last post i half agree with although i have one of those s**t boxes you are t5alking about to tow my boat have to have a huge thing to legally tow it so that fam thing wouldn't apply

Quote Originally Posted by monty
    Agreed on the SUV approach but what about a 4wd aimed at the tarmac?

Why did they only make the 405Mi16 and then stop was it a homologation job?

Something for those icy mountain roads, if we ever see rain that is....
    HI,

Peugeot and citroen normally make a 4x4 car for the icy winters (snow bunnies) these is the past have been 405, 306, BX and even a 205 (tho never went into production). Also dangel producers a partner (berlingo) 4x4 under peugeots guideance. In the past they have made 505 4x4 wagons. However i don't think peugeot needs to go 4x4 they are known for their handling and comfort.

Cheers Nick

UFO

I find it amazing that it took 13 posts for someone to mention the Renault Scenic 4x4. But I must take up the point there that a Citroen Club outing to the glow worm tunnels last year, there were 3 DS, 1 GS, 1 XM, 1 CX and a C5. Not a 4WD in sight!

Citroen have made 4WDs and as Daniel mentioned the BX was one and the 2CV Sahara the other. At this stage I know of no other production model. However the C3 and Berlingo are becoming available in Europe with increased ground clearance and a form of LSD to allow better slippery situation traction without having to resort to the weight and fuel consumption of 4WD.

I strongly suspect that the C3 version is being tested and considered for the Aus market.

I agree with other posters re the stupidity of ****** wagons being used as daily hacks.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    i'm sooo close to starting a movement...

Make 4wd's the same as guns... you must be a primary producer (no hobby farm/tax lurk crap either) OR become a memeber of a 4wd club & do at least 4 (?) outings a year.

I'm sure we're all so _ _ _ _ _ _ angry at the amount of 20L/100km 4ton sh7t boxes there are around!!! ARGH dont get me started!

so thats my input...
    If you want a 4wd, become a member of a club, you must attend 4 outings a year, else surrender your 4wd!!! no buy-backs either!
    And ONLY discounts to primary producers, otherwise full tax on the vehicle like everyone else!

But alas, it'll never work as all the "important people" and fat cats drive em...
    Maybe we should do like the Adelaide gangs??? ha ha haaa

Pipe down old boy. Some people don't use their 4WDs for recreational off roading, aren't members of clubs, and aren't primary producers, but still need them. My old man has had landcruisers, patrols, etc. and currently drives a Nissan X-Trail. He needs them, because he spends a lot of time around mines, construction sites and the like. Not serious off roading, but you need something that can drive all 4s if necessary, and has some decent ground clearance.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    Pipe down old boy. Some people don't use their 4WDs for recreational off roading, aren't members of clubs, and aren't primary producers, but still need them. My old man has had landcruisers, patrols, etc. and currently drives a Nissan X-Trail. He needs them, because he spends a lot of time around mines, construction sites and the like. Not serious off roading, but you need something that can drive all 4s if necessary, and has some decent ground clearance.

Nick

that is understandable
    i agree that people in mines need ground clearance and need 4WD when it's wet as the mine roads get very very slippery and dangerous and down in the pit it gets very boggy

been there done that but i had to laugh when one of the office staff decided one year when it was time for a new car that he opted for a commodore ute

we towed him out too many times and threatened to bury it if he brought it down again

i'll add that rodeo 4WD's wear out very quickly and land rovers are very unreliable but the toyota wasn't a bad machine and kept going pretty well and were very reliable

there are places that they are needed but they are not needed by the suburbans that only drive down the street and back
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

well looks like my post was looked at!!!

yeah i got carried away & ranted & raved...

i'll be more specific & say u need to have a real use for it, towing etc for sure, mines of course!

But yeah, no soccer mums going to the shopping centre!

Once again impossible to enforce, if you're driving one without a big a$$ boat, or not on the way to the mines etc then you shouldnt be in it? LOL

As for viewing distance?
    If you're buying once & think thats a "safety feature", its more like "i can see everything cause i'm high, but stuff everyone else, who cares if they cant see!!!"

Its never gonna happen untill they change the tax system & untill all the soccer mums decide its "out of fashion"! :~(

Fellow Frogger!

Back in the early 70's wandered out of the bush in the teardrop 16 on some little track up near Dandongedale in NW Vic. Ran slap bang into a 4WD club(then mostly Landrovers) madly checking maps and setting up their trucks for the rough stuff.
    Gave them the word that they should get through if they were careful.

Eventually bought a 4-wheelie to get the seating space for three very long legged sons. Put it through its hoops as we had a van at Rawson, near Walhalla - wild country. The river crossings and really deep ruts aside, there were numerous times that I hankered for the 16 to see how it would have gone on some of the rough stuff. Second gear and a bit of time and you can go a lot of places that the 4D******s wouldn't even fit! Afraid to try it in the current one as it an auto -and that is the last thing you need in the bush.
    Ron
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

i was once told a story by a bloke in goulburn who had a 403 ute and was out getting firewood one day

he had the ute pretty loaded up and was about to head out when he saw another bloke in a one tonner with a trailer loaded up having a lot of troulbe trying to get his vehicle motivated

the ground was a bit sloppy but this fella stopped the 403 and walked over to this other bloke and asked him if he needed a hand

he turned around and said yeah but there is no way in hell you are going to be able to help in that old thing but thanks all the same and proceded to start taking the trailer off

well this blok in the meantime moved the ute into position and hooked up a rope to the front of the one tonner and then told the bloke to jump in

he said mate you have no chance and i still have the trailer on anyway

after a few more words back and fro he jumped in the one tonner and was towed out by this old thing (403)

once they got to firmer ground they stopped and removed the rope

the bloke in the one tonner couldn't believe it

now i heard this story from the bloke in goulburn and would you believe the bloke that was towed out was my ex wifes step father whome i started telling the same story to years after i heard it as we were talking about peugeots and he finished the story off

amazing what the old pugs can do
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

As for viewing distance?
    If you're buying once & think thats a "safety feature", its more like "i can see everything cause i'm high, but stuff everyone else, who cares if they cant see!!!"
    Don't you just love it when you're in angled parking on the street, trying to reverse out and there's a big 4WD on the right hand side, blocking your view of oncoming traffic.

Its never gonna happen untill they change the tax system & untill all the soccer mums decide its "out of fashion"! :~(
    From 2005, the differential in tariffs between conventional passenger cars and 4WDs will fall from 10% to 5%. Currently 4WDs have a 5% tariff, vs the 15% tariff on cars - the car tariff is falling to 10% from next year.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information