What colour was Ken Tubman's 203?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ozmac
  • 1 Post By Wildebeest

Thread: What colour was Ken Tubman's 203?

Tadpole

Default What colour was Ken Tubman's 203?

Hi all

I've bought a 1/43 scale kit to build a model of a 203, and I am planning to put the built model into a 1953 Redex Trial diorama.

I have found several pix of Ken Tubman's 203, but they are all black and white. Nowhere can I find any mention of what colour it was. So I am hoping someone here will know.

In the black and white photos it looks a lighter colour, probably a pale grey, maybe a grey-blue. But if anyone knows for sure, I'd love to get the colour right on the car in the diorama.

One nice detail to share is that I've done stop-frame screen grabs from old newsreels on YouTube, and Ken had small sponsors logos from both Edgells and Kelloggs on the side of his car.

Advertisement
    addo likes this.

Ozmac,
    Rod Slater's Eurocars Perth had a replica of this Redex car. I recall it being an "Eiffel Grey".
    The replica 203 is now owned by PCCWA member Barry Mouritz.
    addo likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks for that!

Tadpole

Just an update on the colour of Ken Tubman's 1953 Redex car. Finally found some colour footage of the 53 Trial, and his car was the light grey that is familiar to so many 203 owners and Pug owners in general.

Here's two photos which I have taken as screen grabs from the colour movie of the 1953 Trial which I bought (for $9.95) from Motorflix. The movie looks like it was extra colour footage shot by one of the Cinesound Film Crew which followed the Redex Trial in a Peugeot 203 Van for the full 6500 miles of the trial.

The footage of Tubman (two sets) is the only footage which the film maker specifically captioned the driver, understandably so as Tubman won the race. The first pic below is the last image in the whole movie, of Tubman sending the 203 at speed along a winding bush track. It's probably the best footage in the whole film.

Keen-eyed readers will note that in this second photo, taken at the end of the drive from Darwin down to Adelaide, the car wore a big screen over the radiator. By the time of the first photo, taken in the famous "horror stretch" around Goulburn, NSW, that screen had gone.

Finally, thanks to Brian Eyre from the PCCWA, who promptly replied to my email asking about the Tubman 203 replica owned by one of the PCCWA members. His assistance was very useful to my search.

Thread Information