How much?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: How much?

Fellow Frogger!

Default How much?

What's the maximum/minimum you'd ever spend on a set of 4 tires(everyday use)? What brand?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

$1440

Why?
    Today's March 15
    I'm 24

You can work it out from there

Derek

Fellow Frogger!

just curious. over here some guys say they would never spend more than $200 on a set of 4(don't know how they do it) and others will spend up to $1000 for a set of 4, funny thing is they're both driving the same model car and want an all purpose tire.

rek

Tyres are not something you should cheap out on IMO. But there's also a law of diminishing returns..

I believe we have a stringent tyre recommendation mechanism in place here at Aussiefrogs known as the "Linc-tick"

I am happy paying up to about $180-210 a tyre (195/55R15) to make sure I don't get something that isn't going to turn my car into a pig.

Of course, this means I am never, ever going to buy mid-high end Michelins
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

James, with resources like www.tirerack.com in the US, I can't see why anyone would ever skimp on tyres in the US. If I lived there I'd have two sets of tyres, one for summer and one for winter, stuff using those all season things, they're rubbish.

If I was to replace the Continentals with another set on my Focus, I'd be up for AU$1380. In the US, it'd be around US$500 from Tire Rack.

You guys have seirously got it made with a resource like them. I'm so jealous.
    Last edited by GTI124; 15th March 2004 at 05:45 PM.

Icon10

Here's my worth..... If you want to drive around on cheap tyres, buy a cheap car. That way when your cheap tyres let you down, you'll only be crashing a cheap car. And don't put cheap tyres on a Pug - we want more of them on the road, not less!!!!

A better bet is to simply spend a few bucks on the phone shopping around for good tyres at a cheaper price. I usually price at least three shops when buying tyres, sometimes 5 shops - I'm in Sydney metro so I acknowledge that I'm spoilt for choice here though.......mind you, I also don't wish to pay more than AUD$200 per corner if I can avoid it.......
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

For a bog-standard family sedan e.g. Falcon or Commodore, I would be happy to spend around $120 per tyre - that's how much Pirelli P6000's are these days...for a 14" tyre to suit something a little more exciting like a Peugeot 5-oh, probably a similar amount. There's no shortage of decent tyres around this price for normal motoring.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

XTC

For 205/45-R16 .... $250 to $300 each ... any more isn't going to get you better performance in most cases (unless you want a RACE tyre).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thread Information