• 2 Post By Fordman

Thread: Renault "Powerful" 730cc Two-Stroke Inline-Two

1000+ Posts

Default Renault "Powerful" 730cc Two-Stroke Inline-Two

Hi technophils,
    Saw this in a Diesel Magazine on line !
    Renault "Powerful" 730cc Two-Stroke Inline-Two
    Renault was always at the forefront
    And here just for a complete contrast (no clues you will just have to watch)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwvS8_H5rKs
    Jaahn

Advertisement

Nice, but supercharged-turbocharged two stroke diesels are not new.

Interesting (if it's not an illiterate reporter quoting theoretical numbers) that they are approaching the theoretical efficiency of a diesel engine (at 53%).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yes Super/Turbo Diesel sounds good, but maybe on 1000-1200cc 4 cyl, that would be good

Is it a print error, or does this 2-stroke also have valves? I am not going to say it hasn't because anything goes these days! I am trying to get my head around it.

Engine: Renault "Powerful" two-stroke diesel
    Displacement: 730cc (45ci)
    Layout: Inline two-cylinder
    Bore X stroke: 2.99 x 3.17 inches (76 x 80.5 mm)
    Valvetrain: SOHC four valves per cylinder
    Induction: Supercharger and turbocharger

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Is it a print error, or does this 2-stroke also have valves? I am not going to say it hasn't because anything goes these days! I am trying to get my head around it.

Engine: Renault "Powerful" two-stroke diesel
    Displacement: 730cc (45ci)
    Layout: Inline two-cylinder
    Bore X stroke: 2.99 x 3.17 inches (76 x 80.5 mm)
    Valvetrain: SOHC four valves per cylinder
    Induction: Supercharger and turbocharger

It's really nothing too unique.

Another manufacturer has a 1.4 L, 4cyl twin charged petrol that develops 135kw. That engine was was first put into production circa 2006.

If you scale displacement/KW the engines are almost the same. The petrol engine is a bit more powerful in fact (as expected).

Valves on two stroke engines are nothing new. I would hazard a guess they're all exhaust valves, with traditional admission.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Valves on two stroke engines are nothing new. I would hazard a guess they're all exhaust valves, with traditional admission.
    That could be right, exhaust valves I understand. I was thinking two exhaust and two inlet, and wondered how that would work in a two-stroke. Need to learn a bit more about these engines.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

OK, dug around a bit and came up with this:

Could Our Cars Get Two Stroke Diesels? - Engine Builder Magazine

Excerpt:
    Renault’s engine employs the self-contained oil system, and other measures appear to have been taken to adapt the two-stroke diesel cycle for smaller, road-going applications. One of the main issues in need of correction is the power delivery across a wider power band. The twin-charging setup will undoubtedly increase engine output, and supercharging, in contrast to the turbocharging used on many diesels, will allow better performance in lower ranges. It is likely that modern high-tech supercharging technologies will provide a marked improvement over traditional Roots-style supercharging or exhaust based pressurization methods in terms of boosting engine performance across a wider range. Renault’s engine also does not make use of the traditional ‘porting’ system where the cylinder functions as the valve-train. In fact, most commercial two-stroke diesel engines use poppet valves for the exhaust anyway and only maintain the traditional setup for the intake. However, Renault has taken this one step further, employing the use of poppet valves for the intake as well. This was also done by Briggs & Stratton on their one cylinder two-stroke engine built for their generators and lawnmowers. Merely imagine the intake valve opening as the cylinder approaches bottom dead center, and the exhaust valve opening as the piston approaches top dead center. A complex valve scavenging system is employed on Renault’s engine in order to keep gas flow and direction in check. Renault is also claiming CO2 and other emissions figures to be comparable, if not lower than, other engines of the same size. The Renault engine ostensibly employs four valves per cylinder and variable valve timing. These advances, coupled with a high-pressure common rail fuel injection system, injecting fuel at 2,000 bar(29,000 psi,) help to drastically improve engine performance.

So it does have both inlet and exhaust valves in a 2-stroke engine. So why do they claim it has less parts, I wonder? Well, I won't wonder too much about it, or my head may explode!

jaahn and chez00 like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information